Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Accurate .22lr ammo which are not sub-sonic

Options
  • 16-02-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has tried multiple types of .22lr ammo which is above the speed of sound and what you have found to be the most accurate.

I have tried a nice few types of sub sonic in my CZ 452 and they all group well but have never tried the super sonic stuff so am curious

Veg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has tried multiple types of .22lr ammo which is above the speed of sound and what you have found to be the most accurate.

I have tried a nice few types of sub sonic in my CZ 452 and they all group well but have never tried the super sonic stuff so am curious

Veg

I think I have tried all the HV ammo can could never get them to group bettert than the subs. Shooting CZ Style @50m.

Here's some groups of HV. aim point was the bull. With the subs I could get 1/2" - 3/4" ish. Centre is 1/2" and 10 ring is 1"

HighVelocityammo.jpg

with the subs
    target_5shot_group.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Clive you are a venerable font of information. Exactly the kind of thing I was after.

I will definitely need a 25 MOA rail so if the HV ammo is so unreliable.

Here comes a stupid question alert! Are there just 3 classes of ammo for the .22lr? Sub-sonic, high velocity (HV) and hyper velocity?

Are there any normal velocity or is that the same thing as high velocity?

Clive you are a venerable font of information. Exactly the kind of thing I was after.

Here comes a stupid question alert! Are there just 3 classes of ammo for the .22lr? Sub-sonic, high velocity (HV) and hyper velocity?

I would say the normal velocity is classed as any of the sub sonic rounds.
    The most used hunting round in the world is the 22lr sub, I think.

stupid answer I have is you can get small rifle ammo but don't know will it fire in the 22lr, long rifle, guns.

PM'ed you about the 1 or 2 piece 25MOA rail for the CZ 22lr's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I found winchester super x power points good in my CZ 452.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Besides the 3 mentioned above there are also whats known as "standard velocity".
    Eley do them but they are round nose target type stuff only for paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

In my day nobody used Subs (except if with a silencer)

Yellow Jackets very inacurate, but extremely potent.

Minimags CCI were quite good in a 10/22
    Stingers were also inaccurate but potent!

Winchester Super X used to be the standard ammo in HV.

We chrono'd them years ago and found standard deviation huge though

Suppose that's why Subs became popular.

A few years since I had a .22, things have changed since then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Hey, veg, how do you mean? There's no way you'll need an MOA rail for 22 shooting! (IMvHO):confused: Or am I misreading this?:o
    In my day nobody used Subs

In my day....In my day.....WTF? :rolleyes: Good heedjus, lad, it's far from feckin' Methuselah, you are!:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

I've a box of lapua match and a day off tomorrow so I'll let you no how they group then...:) EDIT sorry:o I'm after looking at the box their subs, I fired one or two of them before and there was a fair crack out of them with the mod on hense the reason I thought they were supersonic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

dev110 wrote: »
    I found winchester super x power points good in my CZ 452.

I found these or Winchester "Laser", which I haven't seen in a while, very good

dCorbus wrote: »
    Hey, veg, how do you mean? There's no way you'll need an MOA rail for 22 shooting! (IMvHO):confused: Or am I misreading this?:o
    In my day....In my day.....WTF? :rolleyes: Good heedjus, lad, it's far from feckin' Methuselah, you are!:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Well you do when shooting out to 300m with the 22lr. I ran out of up clicks and had to use the top of the lower pillar of the retical.

Poping off clays @300 is the way to go. :D:D:D
    More toys for the boys

Convert the stock dovetail to a standard Picatinny scope mount with 25 MOA built into the rail. Adds the extra elevation so you can set your scope "zero" at 200yrds and beyond for those long shots. Great for quick release rings so you can easily swap optics between rifles. 6 supplied set screws hold the mount firmly to the receivers dovetail. No drilling or tapping required for installation.
    Fits the New CZ 455 also.
    Adds approximately .220" to the receiver height

6061 Aircraft Aluminum
    Set screw Torque - 6-7in pounds
    Mil Spec Hard Coat Anodized

10019_18658.jpg10019_18605.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

would you ever hunt out at that distance with the 22lr or would that be just as you said for clippin clays

clivej wrote: »
    Well you do when shooting out to 300m with the 22lr. I ran out of up clicks and had to use the top of the lower pillar of the retical.

Poping off clays @300 is the way to go. :D:D:D........

Now that sounds like FUN !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

sounds like fun alright im gonna give it a go

i always liked the stinger round but cant get them for love nor money. everyone knows why
    useing eley subs at the min very accurate but i find them very range fussy if your not spot on with your judgein distance they drop very fast like

where the stinger travels alot fast and is a bit more forgiving on the distance

would you ever hunt out at that distance with the 22lr or would that be just as you said for clippin clays

You need a big target at 300m using the subs. Something like a deer is do-able ( joke)
    You get about a 20% hit rate on the clays at that distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

When I first bought ammo, The local shop sold them.

.22lr Winchester HV Only
    No6 Winchester box of 10 12g (looked like a box of Major Cigarettes)

That was the ONLY ammo the Shop Sold.
    I remember calling once and they were out !!

My father sold ammo from the early 60's (only Eley, and it was made in Ireland, We still have a box at home)

A lot has changed since I started shooting.

The first time I was shooting was with my dad in 1984/5.
    Oh the memories!

A lad I went to school with; Da used to collect him on the high Nelly (wearing a brittish DPM, Rifle slung across back, and a few bunnies on the carrier)

I may not be as Old as your good self dC, but I have been surrounded by the Hunting Life all my life, Long may it continue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

I have a wee Anschutz sporter, very short - one of the carbines, but its a nice length with the silencer on!

It loves the Eley Subsonic HP's, but also shoots very well with Eley Sport. No grease as per the Lapua Magazine, and the round nose allows it to cycle well with the semi autos!

Tends to travel through bunnies though, good if you can get two lined up! I almost dropped myself when I saw them both!! ;) Prefer the subs though for fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey d'C as Clive says I want to make sure I have the elevation to make 300 yards.

I will never ever engage quarry at that range but when I check my .223 zero at 100, 200 and 300 yards I am always curious if the .22lr would perform at all at those ranges. When I was a member of midlands my favourite shooting was the .22lr at 100 yards. A good few days it was grouping better than my .223 at that distance :o

So I am building a .22lr to see firstly how it performs at 200 yards and if I get decent results I will push it to 250 and maybe 300 if I can. I will learn a lot doing it (reading the wind will be vital as well as building up an accurate drop chart) and accurate ammo is nice and cheap so I can afford it.

Just want to have some fun with one of my favourite rounds.

If the HV ammo was good I might not need the rail but if I am using subs I probably will

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

If the HV ammo was good I might not need the rail but if I am using subs I probably will

I don't think it would make a huge differance. The high velocity is flat to 60 or 70 yards, while the subsonic are flat to 50. However at 150 there isn't much of a differance, infact the subsonic is gaining on the lighter high velocity bullet. I think at 200 yards, and definitely 300, you are better off with the heavier subsonic.

Still I think you should high velocity cause you'll never know otherwise.
    You could try this stuff, although I doubt if it can be got here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe-c8ukHBe4

Advertisement