Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassers

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

What is your constituency, and have you had anyone actually knock on th door yet?

I am North Central, and all I have received is litter through my letterbox everyday from pretty much all the parties.

The only person I have seen canvassing is Pat Burton outside Supervalu in Hollyhill with Bernard Allen the other day.

Are they all afraid to knock on, or am I just out of the hosue when they do call?

Intersting point to make as well, it seems that Burton and Murphy of FG are "splitting" the constituency. Over my way it is only Burton posters, while over Mayfield way it is only Murphy. Not sure is this a good tactic tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

South Central.

The only canvassers we have had are FF ones. Both from Ogra FF.
    Surprisingly they admitted they would not be in government next year. Looks like the young ones might have a thread of honesty in them. Probably playing the sympathy card though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

South Central here. Haven't seen one person yet.

Anyone else think Meehole Martin's posters make him look like C Montgomery Burns?

The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel-220x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

South Central aswell - not one person has called to the door. Lots of people rustling away at the letterbox though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

South Central here. Haven't seen one person yet.

Anyone else think Meehole Martin's posters make him look like C Montgomery Burns?

The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel-220x300.jpg

just add a comb-over

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Cork South Central as well, the only party I know of that have been round were Labour. Not answering the door might be the reason for that though. If the other parties have been around they never even bothered putting flyers through the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

South Central.

Loads, pissing me off tbh, had about 5 or 6.
    Least annoying was the canvaser for the independent guy, some old guy saying "this fella's new and...well he could do with your vote thanks" :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

South Central.
    My "no canvassing" sign seems to have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Independent guy I know is Eric Isherwood - he turned up in the General Election forum, seems to have a lot of policies designed to gather up groups with issues like Taxi Drivers, etc. He wants the Carbon Bill introduced ASAP, so he can bugger off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

North Central

A lot of sh!te through the letter box. Not one knock on the door.

South Central, lots of sh1t in the letter box, no one knocking in the evenings anyway when I've been there, some crowd came on Saturday morning at 11ish but I was in bed.

I wonder will more than usual vote this time round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

North Central:-

No canvassers at all.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I wonder will more than usual vote this time round?

I've thought about this myself.

With it being a Friday many students should be able to get home. Last GE was a Thursday (a strategic Bertie move some argued to make it more difficult for traditionally non-FF voting students).

The other side of the coin is that we are losing about 1000 a week to emigration since last year. This will certainly have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Hogzy wrote: »
    South Central.

The only canvassers we have had are FF ones. Both from Ogra FF.
    Surprisingly they admitted they would not be in government next year. Looks like the young ones might have a thread of honesty in them. Probably playing the sympathy card though

FF couldn't spell the word!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

South Central - only Jerry Buttimer has called to the door- for everyone else it has been leaflets shoved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

South Central, only Dan Boyle has been to the door, poor Dans been plugging away at it for years! Crappy leaflets from everyone else though, if people want your vote then at least knock and say hi ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

South Central - Have had canvassers call to the door from McGrath, Clune and Martin.

I guess FF are not doing any vote management as they both had people call which is unusual. Are they worried about something I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

South Central - Jerry Buttimer called alright, oh the laughs we had..not.
    Some mate of an independent called yesterday, the leaflet is in the recycling bin now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

South Central. The only one brave enough so far has been a delightful old man peddling trash on behalf of Clune.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I've been doing a bit of canvassing - and I have knocked on a lot of doors where the lights have been on and either nobody is home, or they could be having their dinner, so unaware we are at the door. But if there is a leaflet through your door, then somebody knocked at some stage. I can't believe so many people are saying they haven't had canvassers around. One week left so be prepared!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

South Central here. No canvassers that I've noticed at all...

I've only encountered 1, outside my scout hall last Saturday, Ciarán Lynch was out with about 20 people walking Doyle Road, but that's about it...

Tonne of crap through the front door, my favourite is the way each registered person gets the same thing, wouldn't it be cheaper just to address it to the house???

• Advertisement

Judes wrote: »
    But if there is a leaflet through your door, then somebody knocked at some stage.

Have to disagree with you on that one. I've seen leaflets being pushed through the letterbox but nobody knocked in the process in my own place. I've asked several people and they haven't had a knock either. Only canvassers I have seen were a contingent of labour knocking around St. Lukes last weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

south west here and we had only kevin murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

South central,

not one canvasser so far to my door, and one of us is ALWAYS home. but we are on a main street not in an estate so thats probably why.

im canvassing myself and its mount oval/rochestown we've done so far,

my grandmother lives in donnybrook and they had the mcgraths/clunes/coveneys (sp?) canvassing up around there last week/weekend.

there are people doing leaflet drops and canvassers are also dropping in leaflets to houses to let them know who called when there is no answer so if you have gotten two of the same leaflets then you missed your canvasser, if you have one then either canvassers were around and you didn't answer when they knocked or a leaflet drop was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

South central,
    im canvassing myself and its mount oval/rochestown we've done so far,

Who you canvassing for? There's always someone at home here too, we've had nobody...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Ok I accept that there will be others just doing a leaflet drop - but my group within South Central, always knock/ring first, then if no answer - the leaflet goes in the door/letter box.

This day next week is the big day. Hope you're all going to VOTE. It's your right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Cork North Central.

We had Mick Barry and Dara Murphy call to the door. Got mountains of crap from everyone through the letter box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thus far,a nd today is the last day for it, I have only had Kathleen Lynchs people and Pat Burtons.

Seems odd. Not even received flyers for many of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

South Central

Only one call to the door and that was Deirdre Clune with Laura McGonigle together last sunday. A handful of leaflets as well but nothing else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm out in ballincollig and we've had no canvassers call to our door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

South central and no one so far but not home very much.

Disappointed I like it when they try to give some "newspaper" looking election literature and I ask does it have a sports section. Last time I handed one guy all the old flyers from his party that i had stacked near the doorway, he took them too to be fair.

Advertisement