Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym stuff

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Well I'm 26, 5'4" and 70kg recently got my body fat done (it was only the one you hold in your hand so after the intinial shock I'm not looking too much into it) it was 44%

I've bad knees (always have) been to the doctor loads of time they started saying it was growning pains, it has been dianosed from everything between some rare syndrome to juvenile arthritis. I normally just ignore it and take painkillers when it gets bad but I told the guy in the gym about it.

So for the next two weeks I've my programme, to lose weight, get my knees better and I'm going to do the mini marathon my aim is to run half of it.

I have been told about a supplement which can help with joints, not even going to try spell it. At the moment it's a little too pricy.

This is my plan for the week

Monday
    Spinning (well begin to spin:o, with my knees I am dire at it, find my knee wobbles side to side when I have to stand)

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
    Warm up
    bike time 10m lvl 3-4

Weights
    chest press 20kg 3x10-12
    low row 30kg 3x10-12
    shoulder press 10kg 2x10-12
    bicep curl 7.5kg 2x10-12(I think this is too light, probably going to go to 12.5)
    tricep dip 2x000(000 means as many as I can)
    leg extention 20kg 3x15
    leg curl 20kg 3x15
    total abs 20kg 3x20
    back extention 3x000

Cardio
    top machine 15min lvl5
    cross trainer 10min lvl4
    bike 5min lvl3
    treadmill 000 speed6(fast walk, instruster wanted me to hold off on running/jogging for a bit)

(and a 20min walk round trip to get there or 10min on bike)

Wednesday/Friday
    Warm up
    bike time 10m lvl 3-4

Cardio
    top machine 15min lvl5
    cross trainer 10min lvl4
    bike 5min lvl3
    treadmill 000 speed6

And sunday is my lazy day. The reason for a 6 day workout is because I'm not working and have nothing better to do.

This is my two week 'easy' programme to get me started.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Look forward to following your progress. Good luck with reaching your goals, do you strap your knee(s) for spin class, would that help at all?

Holland & Barrett have boy one get one half price on everything at he minute so maybe a good time to get the (I suspect) glucosamine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Look forward to following your progress. Good luck with reaching your goals, do you strap your knee(s) for spin class, would that help at all?

Holland & Barrett have boy one get one half price on everything at he minute so maybe a good time to get the (I suspect) glucosamine?

I have thought about getting something for my knee but they just get week easily and then a few hours later painful so I don't think it'll help.

Yeah, glucosamine is it, there's no holland & barrett near me but holland & barrett do have sales on every week. It's in a shop in town for about a tenner for a months supply, they're also huge!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Orla K wrote: »
    I have been told about a supplement which can help with joints, not even going to try spell it. At the moment it's a little too pricy.

Heya,

I just happened to read in Mens Health the other day appearently Cod Liver Oil can help with aches / joint pain.

Might be something to check out, or mention to the instructor next time you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Hey OP,

As a cheap alternative - you can get fish oil (also good for your joints apparently) in Aldi and glucosamine sulphate in Lidl.

Not sure how good they are but you could always buy them for a month's supply and see how you get on with them. They're pretty cheap, but I can't remember how much. I'm taking them myself and I'm after starting Olympic Weightlifting and have had no problems. Hope this helps.

Today I eventually got the cat off my lap and went to the gym

I did my day of cardio, for 30 seconds I went as fast as I could on the top machine did plan on doing that at least twice more but that machine kills me, I even ended up pausing for a drink.

Xtrainer grand tried to keep it above a certain speed(120) dropped a few times but only to 117 and not for long

The bike went grand, not on it for very long so I don't think it could go wrong.

I have to say at this point when I'm on machines that give information like time, distances and calories burned I do maths with those numbers:o today one of the bits of maths I did was add up all the calories burned(I normally just stick with how long would it take to get x far at this speed and percentages, I love my %) I was just curious what would be roughly the total calories burned according to the machines. I'm saying this because for the threadmill instead of putting in a time I did it to calories burned and got an even 300 (I like even numbers:o) so it was about 15mins on that.

+the walk there and back (about 20min)

I'll also be going over to sues later and going probably for a walk(might see if she wants to try jogging but I doubt it. That'll probably be for around half an hour. I'll have a damn hard uphill cycle to get there but it's only about 5-10minutes(never timed myself on the way)

Also I was thinking about getting the cod liver oil with vitimins, I don't seem to get much if any vit d and I think I could do with that. Also theres no aldi near enough to me to be able to shop there but I did see some glucosamine in a local supermarket didn't check the price though.

Now, since I forgot to defrost my chicken breast, I'm going for my lazy/back up dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Excellent stuff!:)
    I'm delighted you decided to log.

Warm up
    bike time 10m lvl 3

Weights

chest press
    20kg 3x10
    I may have gone down to 15kg for the last set, can't remember

low row
    30kg 3x10-12

shoulder press
    5kg 2x10
    I did 10 kg for the first five but then my arms just went dead they ended up ending dead with the 5kg too but when I start the weights seem ok

bicep curl
    15kg 2x10-12
    Started with 12.5kg but was too light

tricep dip
    2x14

leg extention
    20kg 3x15
    moved down to 15kg after first set, felt like I was going to do damage with 20kg

leg curl
    20kg 3x15
    may have forgotten a set, I've no idea

total abs
    20kg 3x20
    I'll see if I'm sore tomorrow but I might up this

back extention
    3x I think 15, might have been 20

Cardio

cross trainer 10min lvl4
    top machine 15min lvl5
    bike 5min lvl3
    treadmill 10min speed 6(would've gone longer but I thought I was going to be late, wasn't wearing glasses or contacts so couldn't see the time)

I was a bit rushed today didn't know how long it would take so slightly rushed through it, didn't help not knowing the time.

I'm not happy with the shoulder press after 5 reps my arms gave up with both the 10kg and 5kg even though both felt doable at the start. Managed to get another 5 with the 5kg(never felt so weak, using the lightest weight)

The best moment was when I was able to reach the bar for the bicep curl the last time there was no bar attached so it was just higher than I could reach, had to get a guy to get it, but I did it all on my own today.

By the time I got out I was starving, managed to not completely pig out too.

Good and bad day today.

For some reason Sue wanted to do another spin class today (still begin to spin) so we went to it.

It went alright I did better than monday but still struggling to stay jogging my left knee just started going and I couldn't straighten it, so I end up having to sit down.

That was for half an hour for the last few minutes he did some ab work and some streaching apparently I've 'super flexible hips' when he said that sue just burst out laughing then I started laughing and he decided to rephrase it.

We then went to the gym,

Bike 10 min warm up, didn't need a warm up but did it anyway.

Top machine 15min left arm still feels lightly limp I didn't go mad with it but I also didn't stop and take a drink also my power was slightly higher than before.

Xtrainer 10min was over 120rpm whenever I checked it.

Bike 5min nearly forgot about it, it 5 min seems a little pointless but I did it.

Treadmill just did 10mins Sue at this stage was dying for a fag so we just did 10minutes.

And we got a lift home, thank god because it was lashing and freezing.

Other things I did was a 10min cycle (nothing really just me getting around town stopping in places and getting off)

Probably about a 15minute walk carrying a box that's about 5kg alot easier than last time I did it (it was the cat had to carry him in his little box to the vet)

I had to walk home from the vet (no cat) and walk to the gym, this feels like alot of walking, but it's probably less than an hour and I don't think I was going that fast.

The bad part of the day was because I was so worried about Oscar(cat) I did comfort eat, more sugar than I should be having luckily not a much as I can sometimes have, it was a chocolate cupcake(which was so good) a smoothie(at least it's healthier than a cupcake) and one bar of the nature valley(the other bar is still in my coat pocket don't know how long that'll last)

I have my weight's tomorrow, gonna try do better with some of them, mainly the shoulder press and the other arm ones. I'll probably end up getting up at a stupid hour and going and on the way back check in on Oscar in the vets when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Have you done the mini marathon before? There really is only one slight incline that starts around St. Vincents, then over the bridge. It's fairly flat, but the crowding can be a bit painful, I don't do well with crowds. It can be fun.

Aw.. what happened to your kitty?

howtomake wrote: »
    Have you done the mini marathon before? There really is only one slight incline that starts around St. Vincents, then over the bridge. It's fairly flat, but the crowding can be a bit painful, I don't do well with crowds. It can be fun.

Aw.. what happened to your kitty?

I did it last year but after it my knees were really sore, that was walking, I'm not really too worried about the incline (it's at ucd isn't it) I do want to try jog half of it. I do be delighted if I walk for 30min and not get it, lately I'm happy with my walking, it's really the more I do the more I can do.

As for the cat, he has some sort of blockage and stopped peeing. He had an appointment for tomorrow but he was in very poor shape so I left him in the vets office for her to see him when she got back. I rang her at half 6 (in the gym) to see how he was, he got a catheter in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Was just reading through your log - sorry to hear you are having knee troubles! I had/have something similar with one of my knees Have you considered seeing a physio? Now this is NOT medical advice, but I noticed you said you had very flexible hips - I have the same problem - all my joints are ridiculously flexible - and it turns out that my knee problem was actually a hip problem - the physio gave me some strengthening/stabilizing exercises to do twice a day for my hip and that cleared the knee prob right up - he also recommended pilates :)

avalon68 wrote: »
    Was just reading through your log - sorry to hear you are having knee troubles! I had/have something similar with one of my knees Have you considered seeing a physio? Now this is NOT medical advice, but I noticed you said you had very flexible hips - I have the same problem - all my joints are ridiculously flexible - and it turns out that my knee problem was actually a hip problem - the physio gave me some strengthening/stabilizing exercises to do twice a day for my hip and that cleared the knee prob right up - he also recommended pilates :)

I can't afford physio, has concidered pilates or yoga but can't afford that either.

Really bad day, didn't get much sleep the last two nights and it caught up with me today. Woke up early enough and went to check on the cat by the time I got back I was just freezing and tired, so hopped into bed for a bit, fell asleep for about an hour or two and when I woke up I had no enegry. I slowly got my stuff together and headed to the gym.

warm up
    bike 10 min got really tired after five

weights
    low row
    25kg 2x12 then I tried,
    30kg got 6 and had to pause for a few seconds and got another 4/5

chest press
    15kg 3x10 started to feel sick at this point

shoulder press
    Decided it would be best to skip that since I felt awful

tricep dip
    1x16
    1x14

leg extention
    15kg 3x15

leg curl
    20kg 2x15
    I think I tried 25kg for the last one

bicep curl
    15kg 2x12
    Gonna go up to 17.5kg next time

total abs
    25kg 3x20
    I went up found it difficult but I could do it

At this point I felt like I was sweating but I was completely dry

back extention
    2/3x15/20 ? don't remember what I did there

The cardio was awful, I just felt sick and tired

The topmachine wasn't working and there was someone on the other one so I decided to do the x trainer first while on it I couldn't do my normal 120+rpm I was over 100 but it was killing me and my heart rate was up higher than normal, so I wasn't doing as much but struggling more. While on it I said screw it to the topmachine and treadmill did an extra 5min on the xtrainer and was going to do an extra 10 on the bike but by the time I got to the bike I could barely move the peddles:( so I just did 5 min and had a nice long shower in the gym.

Ended up going to the supermarket buying things I probably shouldn't and while there I met my brother and got a lift home(thank god because I would have been walking at a granny pace)

Now I'm going going to relax for the rest of the day and tomorrow, not think about the gym and hopefully not worry about Oscar, and also sleep.

Hey,
    Everyone has their bad days so I wouldn't worry about it. You did great work this week, you've already logged four sessions since Wednesday..that's good going.

With regards to injuries/your knee..I would never bother going near a doctor. I'd always go see someone that's sports related..there's a HUGE difference between the both. Wait until you have some money together and then go get advice..there's a good chance that it's something that can be managed once given the proper rehab/prehab exercises to do.

Last question...What is a top machine??:D Trying to figure out what it could be and I aint got a notion.

gymfreak wrote: »
    Hey,
    Everyone has their bad days so I wouldn't worry about it. You did great work this week, you've already logged four sessions since Wednesday..that's good going.

With regards to injuries/your knee..I would never bother going near a doctor. I'd always go see someone that's sports related..there's a HUGE difference between the both. Wait until you have some money together and then go get advice..there's a good chance that it's something that can be managed once given the proper rehab/prehab exercises to do.

Last question...What is a top machine??:D Trying to figure out what it could be and I aint got a notion.

I was in the gym 6 days this week :o monday for spinning and then did my programme.
    I know I just needed a good nights sleep without worry, almost got it last night:((knee started getting sore and I couldn't sleep, eventually just had to take painkillers and wait)

By the looks of the amount of time Oscar will be staying in the vets I won't get have money for a while:(

The top machine, I hadn't a clue what it was either I've seen them in gyms before but never used them. Just had a look around the internet for it, it's not actually called a top machine but the guy that did up my programe just called it that. It's a hand ergometer, it can be a bítch of a machine, I can do the other cardio fine where I'm using my legs but using arms for cardio is just ten times harder. I get tired much quicker, I don't know if thats because I'm not used to using my arms non stop for 15min or if it'll always be harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I was in the gym 6 days this week

You're already 100% more consistent than me:p

You're doing great, and like Gymfreak said - everyone has off days!

I know I just needed a good nights sleep without worry, almost got it last night:((knee started getting sore and I couldn't sleep, eventually just had to take painkillers and wait)

Orla, if your knee is causing you trouble I'd advise staying away from spinning classes until it settles down. I had a few problems with my knee last year and when I was told how bad spinning could be for my ITB snapping across my patella (ITB was REALLY tight)I decided to give them a miss for the most part. Maybe try a few different workouts until your knees settle down, I just think spinning will aggravate it at the moment...just my 2cents:)

Until you can afford to go see a physio or sports therapist I thought I'd throw up this link of a few rehab/prehab stuff you could do yourself...just to see if it makes a difference????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bHLo-zW-Qo&feature=player_embedded
    It's a hand ergometer, it can be a bítch of a machine, I can do the other cardio fine where I'm using my legs but using arms for cardio is just ten times harder. I get tired much quicker, I don't know if thats because I'm not used to using my arms non stop for 15min or if it'll always be harder.
    Am I right in thinking that this machine is like a bike for your arms??:) I've never used one. As for your arms getting tired..I was skipping this week..hadnt done it in years and my poor arms could barely turn the rope after two mins:D

gymfreak wrote: »
    Orla, if your knee is causing you trouble I'd advise staying away from spinning classes until it settles down. I had a few problems with my knee last year and when I was told how bad spinning could be for my ITB snapping across my patella (ITB was REALLY tight)I decided to give them a miss for the most part. Maybe try a few different workouts until your knees settle down, I just think spinning will aggravate it at the moment...just my 2cents:)

Until you can afford to go see a physio or sports therapist I thought I'd throw up this link of a few rehab/prehab stuff you could do yourself...just to see if it makes a difference????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bHLo-zW-Qo&feature=player_embedded

Am I right in thinking that this machine is like a bike for your arms??:) I've never used one. As for your arms getting tired..I was skipping this week..hadnt done it in years and my poor arms could barely turn the rope after two mins:D

I don't think my knee will settle down, I've been having the problem since I was under ten, I remember having to go home from school because they were sore, doctor said it was growing pains (I'm now 5'4, for years I thought I'd be tall:rolleyes:) Now I just tend to get on with things, it only happens to get sore at night when my legs are really tired when I'm excercising they just feel week (left knee is worse than right). After spinning I don't feel too bad, walking/jogging/running are when my knees get sore.

Also thanks for the link, I'm going to try some of those, at home because I think for squats I mightn't be able to get back up:o I've a feeling I'll fall over the first few times best to do it were only the cats will be looking at me.

Yeah your right with the top machine, bike for your arms. I guess most people are just not used using there arms for more than a minute at a time, legs are always being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

I don't think my knee will settle down, I've been having the problem since I was under ten, I remember having to go home from school because they were sore, doctor said it was growing pains (I'm now 5'4, for years I thought I'd be tall:rolleyes:)

Love how doctors just give you a general glib diagnosis.

howtomake wrote: »
    Love how doctors just give you a general glib diagnosis.

Stop the last one (who really was a bítch) said 'you just have bad knees and that's it!' I went in with more than one thing wrong and came out feeling like it was a complete waste of time, she was no help with anything. Only went back once since then and only because I was crippled and in alot of pain(trapped nerve)

Today, it turned out I spent alot of time in the gym. It's going to be closed on saturday and sunday to I went today instead (must do all five workouts!)

Warm up
    bike time 10min lvl 4

Weights
    chest press
    20kg 3x10-12(I think one of these was at 15kg, can't remember anymore)

low row
    30kg 2x10-12
    25kg 1x10-12

shoulder press
    5kg 1x10-12
    10kg 2x5
    I'm still utterly useless at these, 5kg is too light until I get to about 7 then it just seems really heavy, can't get used to it at all.

bicep curl
    17.5kg 1x15
    20kg 1x12

tricep dip
    2x16

leg extention
    20kg 3x15
    I think I might have moved down to 15kg due to pain just above knee

leg curl
    20kg 3x15
    I either did move up to 25kg or I thought about it

total abs
    25kg 3x20
    Might even move this up to 30kg soon

back extention
    2x20
    1x15

Cardio

top machine 15min lvl5
    did better alot more constant with a higher speed

cross trainer 10min lvl5
    I moved up to lvl 5 the machine was making alot of noise and I had a feeling that the levels were easier. I have no bases for that feeling other than it was making noise

bike 5min lvl3

I finished up there went out to see Oscar (still in vets) walk down to sue stall about for a bit for her to finish work and then headed back to the gym:o.

We did the spinning class, it was a different instructer who was alot harder, most of the class was spent jogging, which I find the hardest to do. I had told him about my knees, and during the class he kept on looking at my knees. After that class I was sweating buckets.

Then we went into the gym and on the treadmill for half an hour, really boring no jogging just doing it at 6km/h

Had to them push my bike up to sues place, got food that I was dieing for both of us were starting to fall asleep on the chairs so I went home, now I can't wait to fall asleep in my bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

You're bicep curling 20kg? Is that with 2 20kg dumbbells?? Or is it a 20kg bar?

G86 wrote: »
    You're bicep curling 20kg? Is that with 2 20kg dumbbells?? Or is it a 20kg bar?

It's neither, just the machine so far.

Let me first start this by telling a little about my day, got up, first thing to do was check on Oscar, who's still in the vets stacking up a fair bit of a bill! He was getting an operation done, so I decided to got to the gym after that, the vet had a few call outs (horses) to do so she was gone most of the day and Oscar only went in for his operation at about half 6 so I didn't get to the gym until 7.30-8(alot later than I would normally).

I did notice that I was very thirsty and had a mild(very mild) headache so I went and got two rehydration sachets.

I was ages deciding if I should go to the gym or not, counter productive taking rehydration sachets and then sweating in the gym. I decided f*ck it, I'll take it easy and it'll take my mind off Oscar.

Warm up
    bike time 10min lvl 4

Cardio
    top machine 15min lvl5
    I'm getting better at this

cross trainer 10min lvl4

bike 5min lvl3

I decided to skip the treadmill, at this stage (mainly after the bumpy bike ride over) I kind of figured I had given myself a mild bit of food poisoning. I had the other sachet in my bag to I just put it into my water on the way out.

At the moment my stomach is feeling a little fragile, my thirst has gone a bit but the headache hasn't.

I'll skip tomorrow if I still feel bad but I think I'll be fine, might get more of those sachets too, just in case. (also they're not nearly as foul tasting as I remember!)

At one point the eating healty went out the window, had a big chewy m&s cookie, it was just so good!

I also cycled to sues and I couldn't do all of the uphill cycle I had to get off just feet from the top, hadn't had to do that in ages.

I haven't stopped going to the gym only missed one day, but I did take a little boards break.

For the past 6 weeks this is what I have been doing.

Mon
    Spinning (it's been the lunitic guy for a while now, he's alot harder than the rest and a lot of the time he gets us to do 15 minutes of ab or arm work)

Tues
    warm up
    10 min on bike at lvl4
    weights
    Chest press machine 4x8-12 about 20kg
    Chest press dumbells 3x8-12 I think the last one was 6kg? either that or I was thinking of moving to 6kg
    Supine fly 3x8-12 I'm lazy and don't get up to get a different weight so whatever I use for the chest press.
    Triseps pushdown 3x8-12, on that thing with 4 sides and far too many attachments for me not to be confused, I don't know the wieght for this one but one heavier seems to be too heavy and the weight just one lighter seems to be just a bit too light.
    tricep dips 3x000(as many as I can) I do 3x20+ normally now
    shoulder press 3x8-12 I'm still useless at this
    cardio
    Bike 10min lvl5
    xtrainer 10min lvl5
    weird arm thing that I forget the name of 10min lvl5
    (really easy to remember the levels and time but it still took me a week or two to remember:rolleyes:)
    treadmill as long as I can/can be arsed at 6.5speed, I did to 5k on it one night I felt like I was in the gym for far too long, normally I just do 10 mins because I find it too boring

Wed
    warm up
    bike 10min at lvl4
    cardio
    Bike 10min lvl5
    xtrainer 10min lvl5
    weird arm thing 10min lvl5
    treadmill as long as I can/can be arsed at 6.5speed

Thurs

warm up
    bike 10min at lvl4
    weights
    Low row 4x8x12 about 30kg
    Lat pulley down 4x8-12 15kg-20kg
    Bicep curl 3x8-12 (on that four sided thing that confuses me) realised I was doing the wrong thing the last time
    Bicep curl dumbells 3x8-12 I think I used a 5kg one today, might be able to move to a 6kg one but probably not for the lot of it.
    Ab machine 3x20 30kg today I would have been able to do more than that but I normally have do the plank first so that may have been the reason
    Plank 3x30sec have been slowly lifting my ass too high over the past few weeks, one of the guys pointed it out today(although he didn't say ass)
    Back extension on bench 3x20
    cardio
    Bike 10min lvl5
    xtrainer 10min lvl5

Fri
    warm up
    bike 10min at lvl4
    cardio
    Bike 10min lvl5
    xtrainer 10min lvl5

Sat
    warm up
    bike 10min at lvl4
    weights
    leg extenssion 4x12-15 20kg-25kg
    leg curl 4x12-15 20kg-25kg
    Ab machine 3x20 30kg
    Plank 3x30sec
    Back extension on bench 3x20
    cardio
    Bike 10min lvl5
    xtrainer 10min lvl5

Today I also for some reason still unknown to myself I went for a cycle out the road I think it was in total 20km(I'm going by the triathy sprint cycle, if they turn around at the three counties then thats what I did except with traffic and going much slower on my crap little mountain bike)

I have a programme change soon, I think I might do that saturday instead of my normal saturday, in farness my legs seem to be getting big enough so I don't think it matters too much.

I also went to get my eyebrows done and the woman there had started selling that herbalife stuff(not interested in that stuff) but she got a new weighing scales that seems to measure everything. She was telling me about it and since she was still getting used to it she asked if I wanted to get on it and she'd try figure it out. Well I'm pretty much the same weight:o but with that one my body fat went down a good bit, everything on it was good except it gave a body age thing apparntly I'm in my 40s:rolleyes:. I'll wait and see what the one in the gym says, I just wanted to use that one because it was all fancy and had lots of buttons and shiny bits!

Friday went well, it was just the cardio day, kept the rpm high enough on them

warm up
    bike 10min at lvl4
    cardio
    Bike 10min lvl5
    xtrainer 10min lvl5
    treadmill 10min 6.5

Yesterday I got my new programme, the receptionist (who never seems with it at all) didn't tell either of the guys working that I was booked in for it. So after about 15minutes of confusion I had a different guy setting up the programme because the original one was in the middle of doing something. I'm afraid to say that this guy said something about getting bulky or not getting bulky, I did pull him up on it and I saw that he did realise he was wrong and he did agree with me but he stuck with the programme he had. I think I'll make it my mission to make him see sense, even if that means telling him I want to be bulky, and then have him realise why I'm not. I'm sure he knows he's wrong but has never questioned it till now. I think he'd be great if I could change his mind about women and weights.

This is what he's given me
    warm up
    bike 10min (I think under level it says med, ganna stick to level 4/5)

Step right knee 20rep
    Step left knee 20rep
    Press up (against step) 15rep I can only ever remember doing one press up I managed 10 (probably awkward looking ones) against the step
    Shoulder press 15rep I don't know if he gave me 6 or 9kg dumbbells but damn it was hard
    Sit up 20rep

All in red is to be done one after the only no breaks except for at the end 30 second break and I start again, I only do it twice.

Chin up 40kg 20rep gotta climb onto this thing with my short leg, not liking that
    low row 30kg 20rep
    declined oblique crunch 20rep another thing I got to climb into but this one is low and I'm upside down.

This is another one after the other with 2 sets.
    What I might do is lower the rep on some and up the weight.

cardio
    cross trainer 5min forwards and 5min backwards, don't see the point in going backwards, did try it before all I felt it do was confuse me and make me go slower.
    He was going to give me time on the rower (which I used to like) but as far as I remember it made my knee sore. I was going to give it a go since it had been a few years ago but he decided on the treadmill (I seem to be getting on with the treadmill without much pain in my knees)
    Treadmill 10min on a preset programme of walking 6.1 to running 10.?(couldn't really pay much attention to anything at those points)
    Threadmill again for 5 min a fast walk on an incline.

And stretches, which I've an awful habbit of doing very half assed.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get new 'proper' weights. I was looking forward to learning new ones, but at the same time I want to get suck into this one, it seems a bit more intence(might be the wrong word) than anything else I've done.

I'm sore after yesterday and I only did a bit of what I would normally do, although I think I can blame the cat for my leg, I was sitting in a weird way and the cat decided to sit on my leg put a strain on it.

Just back from the gym and I'm surprised I haven't gotten sick! I was ment to be doing spinning but sue(who I go with) is sick today, we're leaving it till friday, at first(during lunch) I thought a grand I can eat whatever but somewhere between after ordering lunch and getting it I decided I should do my programme today. I went about 5 so give myself time to digest the food but it wasn't enough time.

I also timed myself on the bike to see how long that took but kinda screwed it up childern had kicked a ball out onto the road so I ended up getting it for them, turned out to be a difficult task carrying a ball on a bike across the road but with that and no other stops for traffic it took less than 10minutes(using the shortcut)

warm up

bike 10 mins lvl 4

step(which is fairly high) 20rep for each leg my balance is so dire I nearly fell off in every direction:o maybe I might improve that
    press up against step I managed to do all 15 against the step
    shoulder press 5kg dumbells he wanted me to to 15rep with lighter I could do 10rep with the 5kg and I'm sticking to that was nearly thinking about moving to 6kg and doing 8reps but I think I'll stick to 5kg for now
    30 sit ups

a 30 second break and then it all over again managed all 15 press ups against the step fine but got out about 20 sit up and had to change to crunches.

Then on to the chin up 40kg at this point I was feeling bad and I could only manage about ten of these
    low row30kg I feel better with these since he's shown me the proper way I did 20reps(mainly to see could I do 20 might up the weight and lower the rep)
    decline obique crunch I was so bad at those I only managed about 10 and at the end I thought I was either going to be stuck upside in the thing or have to ungracefully slide off into a lump on the floor. Luckily I managed to get some energy from my possible embarrassment and I climbed out.

Then I had to do that all again, the chin up was even worse, my body just felt dead, my arms like matchsticks and my stomach was still considering emptying itself, I got out 8reps(barely too) low row went all right struggled alot at the end but the good kind of struggle. The decline obique crunch I realised at some point I was too tired to even count, probably did about ten.

Then it was the cardio,
    cross trainer 10min total
    5min forward
    5min backward I didn't get too confused and fall off so it was a success for me.
    treadmill preset progamme of
    walking 6.1 for 100sec
    run 10.5 for 50sec
    walking 6.1 for 50 sec
    I think there was about 5 50sec runs at 10.5
    The good news was I didn't get sick during the running, I was delighted, even if I felt like collasping.
    A 5min walk on an incline of 8% at speed 6

I actually took the time to do some proper stretches in the gym on a mat. Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.

Internet went for a few days, I apparently hadn't been paying it, so they shut it down until I did.

Tuesday
    did the full day but it felt a bit weird doing the same thing as the day before.

bike10min lvl4

Chin up 50kg x20 on the second one I moved it to 45kg
    lowrow 30kg x20 was thinking about moving up but probably wouldn't be able to get all 20 out
    decline obique crunch still don't like this, thought I was going to get stuck again.
    X2

step x20 each leg
    press up against step 15 (got a little lower)
    shoulder press 5kg dumbbells x15
    30sit up/crunches
    X2

cross trainer 10min lvl5
    treadmill 10 min running/walking on the last run turned it down to more of a jog
    treadmill 5 min 8%incline walking

some stretches, a shower, a power nap and to the pub:o

Wednesday
    woke up early, figured I wouldn't be able to do anything for a few hours. A few hours later I was still feeling lightheaded, so I waited another few hours. I ended up not going and eating chippers. So I rang them and booked two classes boxercise and one called ab attack, I'm going to regret not going now.

Today I've got the boxercise class and I'm going to do my normal gym before it.

Also lunch today was awful, the first thing I saw was a tattooed muscley arm and I just thought shíte(the guy who set up the programme) and sue would have to pick the table right beside him. I've been very paranoid about that happening (that and if I see any of them while doing my shopping) I'm really crap at situations where I don't expect to meet someone, I normally panic and run. I ended up ignoring him for most of it and I couldn't even eat my food.

Gym went well today the only thing I'm struggling with is the chin up and kind of decline obique crunch and that one is mainly because I don't feel comfortable in it. Went a bit slower on the threadmill because I was going to do the boxercise but that ended up being cancled, they had changed it to circuts but nobody else that was doing the class wanted to do that(apparrently it was too much moving about:rolleyes:)

Going to keep this short, I'm really tired.

I did an abs class at 9.30am(for 45mins) it went well except for my crap balance when it came to the ball, after that I went to the gym,

I felt much better about things today I upped some weights and lowered the reps, I just feel happier with it rather than lower weights and lots of reps.

bike 10min lvl4

step x20 each leg (was thinking about doing lower reps holding some dumbells)
    press up against step 15 (thought I mightn't have got those ones but I got through them)
    shoulder press 6kg dumbbells x12,x10 I was almost going to go for the fives but the 6s felt much better and I'm going to aim for 7kg by next week
    30crunches did about 5 sit ups after the abs class it just wasn't going to happen
    X2

Chin up ??kg x10 x8 I know I tried to make it harder on myself don't remember the weight at all
    lowrow 35/40kg x? I know for the second lot I did 40kg, can't remember too much else other than being pleased with myself
    decline obique crunch really difficult today but didn't get stuck so it was a success
    X2

crosstrainer 10 min moved to lvl6 didn't feel too much of a difference but I was a little slower

threadmill
    10min of walking and running it, seems to be getting easier
    5min 8% incline 6-6.5speed

had lunch, went home, fell asleep:o dreamed I was in the gym:o woke up and went to a spinning class with sue(since we missed monday) It's bad when I start dreaming about the gym

• Advertisement

I ended up not going to th gym on saturday, I was just so tired I couldn't stop sleeping, when I finally woke up enough to do something the gym would have been closed in an hour(closes early sat+sun) so I just got food. Sunday I was feeling the same but not as bad.

Today I'm feeling tired. Didn't do any spinning because Sue is broke and can't afford it, wasn't too bothered going on my own. I just did my programme and I took it a bit easy since I was so tired all weekend.

warm up
    bike 10min lvl 4

step x20 each leg, balance is still dire
    press up against step 15 getting better at these
    shoulder press 5kg dumbbells x15,x13 since I was tired I went for the fives
    30crunches, belly's still sore from friday, on saturday I sneezed and the pain!
    X2

Chin up 45kg x? x8 I feel so utterly crap at these
    lowrow 40kg x15 35kg x18 I was aiming for 20reps with the 40kg didn't happen
    decline obique crunch another success I didn't fall out or get stuck although it was almost a fail when my leg got stuck
    X2

cross trainer lvl6
    threadmill 10min lvl 6 although I got a stitch and slowed down for the last four minutes
    threadmil 5min incline 8%(I've been wondering how high it gets to) speed around 6

and onto the worst shower I've had in there! seriously it was burning me, I could only stick my hair under and everyone else was going on about how fantastic it was:( and how awful they were last week, they were brilliant last week, that's one thing I hate about gyms if you can't set the temp yourself they're always too hot for me:(

Advertisement