Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat in a roast leg of lamb?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I roasted a leg of lamb last night. (For the first time)

It came out really nice and tender, but I was expecting a layer of melted fat to be on the tray once it was done. To make gravy with...

There was some fat on the leg, you could see decent lumps of it when I carved it.

I cooked it at 190 degrees C for 2.5 hours covered and then half an hour uncovered.

Should I have had the oven hotter? I didn't want to dry it out either... Or are legs generally too lean for decent gravy making?

I ended up making a blackcurrent puree instead of gravy... It was nice, I was just confused I hadn't enough fat on the tray.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Sounds like you cooked it for too long on too high a temperature, so you dried it out. I would cook lamb slowly - a good tip I have is to rest the leg on top of some garlic and red onions and throw some stock in - the lamb fat mixes with the stock and when you're done roasting the lamb you just mash the onions/garlic into the juices/stock and you've the best gravy you've ever tasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Oh. Ok what temperature should I cook it at?

Lol! I was going to try hotter next time haha.

Advertisement