Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Satellite System

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

NT2010 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a free to air system.
    Is this worth getting?
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110221.p.Digital_Camping_Satellite_System

NO-they're absolute rubbish.Pay a bit more and get a decent Freesat system.There's lots of guys who post here that install them and will stand over them.
    The LIDL one might be cheap but won't be much good when it's in bits on your lawn plus you have to keep updating the box by scanning for channels as it 'loses' them when they change transponder.

Try here for starters http://www.satellite.ie/ Tony posts here and will answer any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get Freesat HD, or Freesat HD PVR, ideally one that supports Diseqc too.

Generic FTA satellite is a waste of time and effort. Also the cable and brackets also often dish is poor.

These are poor.

See also http://www.saortv.info/channels/uk-televison/
    and http://www.techtir.ie/saortv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NT2010

Thanks folks that saves me buying a rubbish system, will check out the various posts/links and find a decent system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NT2010

OK have been reading into this further.
    My initial plan was just to get a Freesat system. I have already decided this needs to be a Freesat HD system.
    But
    Question now is what Freesat HD system will also give me Saorsat?
    I believe from what I’ve read that I can get a Freesat HD system and then with a small (?) add-on receive Saorsat.
    Is this correct? Can anyone got/recommend one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hmm. We don't 100% know for sure.

But at the least any Freesat HD box needs to have Diseqc (just software). The Humax and maybe Technisat has it, but not the Sagecom.

You then need either a dual feed Dish or a 2nd dish (size unknown, 44cm to 60cm likely) and a pair of Diseqc Switches, A single 2 way sat splitter or a Multisswitch for 2 or more LNBs to combine the feeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I have a Lidl Comag dual LNB which came with the 80CM dish and earlier I was trying out an old Openbox F-300 FTA receiver. I have used it from time to time to watch tv, however earlier I was messing with the setting in the installation section and the signal level went from 98 to 100 percent to zero and now it will not work from the connection on the LNB which was used earlier today. The other connection used downstairs on the same LNB works fine still. Any ideas what might have damaged one of the connections? Was it the box or was it I changing the voltage settings from the installation menu which damaged it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Did you try the Comag in the LNB port that you think is bad? Just to rule it out, it could be the Openbox that is at fault.

Was the Openbox working/showing a channel before you began messing with the settings? And did you change the settings back to what they were before you began messing with the settings?

My understanding is that they're fairly robust devices, could be damaged by applying a voltage higher than about 20V, but a receiver shouldn't apply that much, unless it is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

polyfusion wrote: »
    Did you try the Comag in the LNB port that you think is bad? Just to rule it out, it could be the Openbox that is at fault.

Was the Openbox working/showing a channel before you began messing with the settings? And did you change the settings back to what they were before you began messing with the settings?

My understanding is that they're fairly robust devices, could be damaged by applying a voltage higher than about 20V, but a receiver shouldn't apply that much, unless it is faulty.
    I did try the damaged port, changed sat boxes, sat cable and to no avail. I have tried all of the settings as far as I know unless there was something I missed? Old tentants had Hotbird, Asiasat and more from a switch and multi lnb holder, that used to work also and doesn't anymore.I very rarely watched any of those sats though. I have been watching Astra 28.2E from my own setup as I don't own a fifteen feet long ladder to gain access to the previous tenants old dish outside. It looks like a Gilbertini one metre dish to me. Moisture or a dodgy box? My messing with the settings perhaps? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

The old box probably fried it; bin it & the LNB, it's not worth your time (or the electric shock risk).

Advertisement