Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning to drive a motorcycle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I love these zombie threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

So if i get my pass my theory test and eye test can i drive on the roads ?
    basically what im saying is do i need ibt training?
    Can ya get away without it ?

cant drive on roads until you get your learner permit, and you cant get your learner permit until you've done your ibt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Wossack wrote: »
    cant drive on roads until you get your learner permit, and you cant get your learner permit until you've done your ibt

You can get the learner permit without doing the IBT, you are supposed to do the IBT before driving on public roads though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

oh really? wrongly assumed otherwise..!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

Wossack wrote: »

[/QUSorry your wrong there
    you cannot do IBT without a learner permit
    no learner permit means no insuranceOTE]

• Advertisement

you are required by law to do IBT
    Even if you have paid insurance and have the insurance cert in your hand you will still be fined/banned by the gardai for no insurance because you must have an IBT cert to validate your learner permit.
    The insurance companys dont care they have got your money(its up to you to comply with the law)
    Also because of your age you will be affected by the new laws in 2013 you will be issued an A2 learner permit
    I would also advise completing your ibt on a bigger machine A2 Is minamum 395cc because if you do it on anything smaller ypo will only be issued an IBT cert for the A1 and this would mean more conversion courses further down the road.
    €500 isnt to bad for ibt you cant put a price on your safety cheaper isnt always best.
    To use an old saying (if you pay peanuts you get monkeys)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Even if you have paid insurance and have the insurance cert in your hand you will still be fined/banned by the gardai for no insurance because you must have an IBT cert to validate your learner permit.

This is not true.
    The insurance companys dont care they have got your money(its up to you to comply with the law)

This is true, however once they have accepted payment here they are obliged to cover you, they may seek to recoup any losses through non conformence etc but that's another court case.

€500 is ridiculously expensive for IBT, check for groups etc, you can do a lot better than that.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

I suggest that you check again. you cannot ride a motorcycle on a public road without first completing IBT (thats the law)statuary instrument 182/97

If you are stopped by the gardai you can be fined/ banned etc.

No IBT CERT = no valid learner permit

No valid learner permit= no insurance=six points

Ignorance of the law is not a valid defence in court

If you get six points on your learner permit or within two years of passing your test you will automatically be banned for six months off the road.

On the second point yes the insurance company is obliged to pay any third party but they can recoup there loss from the policy holder.

Again its up to you to comply with the law

So if you hit a pedistrian you could be looking at €20/50 grand judment agaisnt you all because you didnt have an IBT cert

I suggest that you check again. you cannot ride a motorcycle on a public road without first completing IBT (thats the law)statuary instrument 182/97

Suggest you reword your statement, if stopped you don't have a valid licence/permit but you do have insurance contrary to your post above.

No valid permit does not infer no insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

you are required by law to do IBT
    Also because of your age you will be affected by the new laws in 2013 you will be issued an A2 learner permit
    I would also advise completing your ibt on a bigger machine A2 Is minamum 395cc because if you do it on anything smaller ypo will only be issued an IBT cert for the A1 and this would mean more conversion courses further down the road.
    €500 isnt to bad for ibt you cant put a price on your safety cheaper isnt always best.
    To use an old saying (if you pay peanuts you get monkeys)

Ignorance of the law is not a valid defence in court

If you get six points on your learner permit or within two years of passing your test you will automatically be banned for six months off the road.

On the second point yes the insurance company is obliged to pay any third party but they can recoup there loss from the policy holder.

Again its up to you to comply with the law

So if you hit a pedistrian you could be looking at €20/50 grand judment agaisnt you all because you didnt have an IBT cert

There is a huge difference between "you will be" and "you can be".

And the last part of your post is laughable.

• Advertisement

Since 6 December 2010, you must do initial basic training (IBT) when you get your first learner permit. IBT is a 16-hour course broken into 4 modules. You cannot ride a motorcycle on the road unsupervised by your IBT instructor

from the citizensadvice.ie

but sure what would they know

In relation to your second comment

Its happened already
    And further to that i have talked to a garda who explained the process in relation to no ibt cert and insurance etc
    Traffic core so he should know

In relation to your second comment

Its happened already
    And further to that i have talked to a garda who explained the process in relation to no ibt cert and insurance etc
    Traffic core so he should know

I don't believe that for a second, it's certainly not down to the gardai to create new laws or assume anything, please provide details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

bladespin wrote: »
    Suggest you reword your statement, if stopped you don't have a valid licence/permit but you do have insurance contrary to your post above.

You "have" insurance, but if you aren't a legal road user then they can recoup costs through the courts if you do make a claim. Or someone makes a claim against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

You "have" insurance, but if you aren't a legal road user then they can recoup costs through the courts if you do make a claim. Or someone makes a claim against you.

That is a world apart from a blanket statement of "you do not have insurance".

I think Mr Motorcycle may also believe the learner drivers unaccompanied by fully licensed drivers in cars also have "no insurance".

That is a world apart from a blanket statement of "you do not have insurance".

I think Mr Motorcycle may also believe the learner drivers unaccompanied by fully licensed drivers in cars also have "no insurance".

I heard similar concocted notions about restriction before, it's certainly a logical deduction but court precedent defies logic and that's the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

bladespin wrote: »

Your insurance only covers you in accordance to your license, which means that if you do not have valid license you will not be insured despite paying and having an insurance policy. Your policy becomes null and void.

If you do not have IBT done, than your provisional licence is not valid for you to be driving on the road, hence breaking your licence requirements, hence not having a valid licence.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Your insurance only covers you in accordance to your license, which means that if you do not have valid license you will not be insured despite paying and having an insurance policy. Your policy becomes null and void.

You are insured if you've made payment etc, what legal argument can you use to back that statement up?

AFIK The insurance company will have the right to recoup any losses but on accepting payment they're obliged to cover at the very least third parties.

Not having the licence is no to different declaring the wrong engine size, non restriction etc.

Advertisement