Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we on a part 4 tenancy?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our contract (a couple) expired 6 months ago for a rented apartment (were there 6 months at that stage). We did not give notice for part 4 tenancy. The landlord asked us to sign a new 6 month contract but I didnt bother as the landlord was already been summonsed to court by his bank for repossession so couldn't see the point in tying myself down for 6 months. I didnt indicate to him that I was not signing the contract nor did I indicate that I was. I think he seems to think we did sign it.

Anyway the apartment is going up for sale now and the landlord wants us to sign a 3 month contract as he doesnt expect it to sell for a while. I cannot see any reason as to why we would sign a new contract for 3 months since it offers nothing to us but only ties us there for another 3 months. We are currently looking at other apartments but want to take our time finding a new one so that we are not forced to take one.

• Are we automatically on a part 4 contract since we did not renew the initial 6 month contract for another fixed term contract and that was 6 months ago?
    • Would we be within our rights to say we are already on part 4 contract thus do not have to sign a new fixed term contract?
    • There is a standard term about selling the apartment and being able to terminate the contract as a result in the initial contract. Does that mean he could kick us out now and get someone else to take a 3 month contract or have we some rights there?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

From what I can see we are on a "periodic tenancy" thus are automatically on a part 4 tenancy. Also from what I can see the landlord can give us notice to end the contract if he is selling but cannot subsequently rent out the property or we have a claim against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the law is slightly different if you were offered a contract, but did not sign it (but the landlord thinks you have signed it), you are probably better off giving the PRTB or Threshold a ring and asking the question, but tell them all the facts.

Potentially, if your lease is over, and you didn't sign the new lease, you don't have a right to be in the property, and could be kicked out without any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

axer wrote: »

Are we automatically on a part 4 contract since we did not renew the initial 6 month contract for another fixed term contract and that was 6 months ago?
    Yes you're now Part 4. We had similar situation, Threshold informed us we were Part 4.
    • Would we be within our rights to say we are already on part 4 contract thus do not have to sign a new fixed term contract?
    Absolutely! We were told to write LL a letter just formally informing him that we are now a part 4 tenancy. Made sure to say that we were writing based on advice we received from Threshold.
    • There is a standard term about selling the apartment and being able to terminate the contract as a result in the initial contract. Does that mean he could kick us out now and get someone else to take a 3 month contract or have we some rights there?

As you said, he cannot re-rent the property without giving you first refusal, provided you haven't broken any terms of the (original) lease. You can bring him to the PRTB if he does.

Advertisement