Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Office 2003 - Few Questions

• 16-02-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hey,
    so my parents have been using Microsoft Office 2003 as their e-mail for the last few years. They are only able to access their account from 2 computers. The one at home and another from germany. This is how a tech-guy set it up for them.

So now they want to access it from other locations. Like from a smartphone or other p.c's. They were told that this was not possible without losing their old eircom e-mail address. This address doubles as a business account and they are scared of changing it.

SO my question is. Is it normal not to be able to access from other locations?can this situation be changed? If so, how? They cannot get in touch with the person who set it up so I have no idea what he did.

If they do change, is it easy to redirect traffic to a new account?

Also, how does Micresoft office run on smartphones? Is it a case of getting a app and it'll work or will it not work because we cannot access it from other p.cs remotely?

Im not very tech savvie and was asked to look into it for them. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When you say they can access their emails from 2 PCs do you mean they can initiate a send and receive from both machines and the two are periodically synchronised. Or that they can initiate a send and receive from either machine and anything received just sits on the machine it was received on.

There are no problems accessing their existing email account from a smart phone or any other device which supports internet access.

Synchronising all may not be as simple as it ought to be.

You will probably get suggestions to use gmail/hotmail/yahoomail but given the number of times these services seem to get hacked together with the propensity for all three to scan the emails for targeted advertising purposes I personally wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

This should be possible.
    All eircom mail addresses can be accessed through Eircom Webmail.

I can not see why an eircom mail address can not be accessed from mobiles, pda's etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

FSL wrote: »
    When you say they can access their emails from 2 PCs do you mean they can initiate a send and receive from both machines and the two are periodically synchronised. Or that they can initiate a send and receive from either machine and anything received just sits on the machine it was received on.

There are no problems accessing their existing email account from a smart phone or any other device which supports internet access.

Synchronising all may not be as simple as it ought to be.

You will probably get suggestions to use gmail/hotmail/yahoomail but given the number of times these services seem to get hacked together with the propensity for all three to scan the emails for targeted advertising purposes I personally wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole.

They can only access from two machines. So that means seeing their inbox, send and receiving and checking their saved e-mails. Therefore all the data and e-mails are stored on both machines. So they are both synchronized in that sense.

They dont want to go down the yahoo/gmail route for the reasons you mentioned, plus they are comfortable with the microsoft interface and understand how to do everything.

So if they got a smartphone, is it as easy as getting the microsoft office outlook app and then using it from there. Or does the account then have too get synchronised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Dulchie wrote: »
    This should be possible.
    All eircom mail addresses can be accessed through Eircom Webmail.

I can not see why an eircom mail address can not be accessed from mobiles, pda's etc.

I didnt think of that. So that means that their account with eircom still exists and could be accessed through eircom.net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

All email address can be accessed through

http://mail2web.com/

Ask them to use that, they can then access them anywhere in the world

• Advertisement
Advertisement