Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DSLR Day Course

• 16-02-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Can anyone recommend a good day course for an SLR beginner? Not interested in post production, merely a decent crash course in getting to grips with an SLR and the various shooting modes etc.

Looked at the day course in in the institue of photography but it seems a bit light on some things and OTT on others.

Any advice / recommendations would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Sizzler wrote: »
    Folks,

Can anyone recommend a good day course for an SLR beginner? Not interested in post production, merely a decent crash course in getting to grips with an SLR and the various shooting modes etc.

Looked at the day course in in the institue of photography but it seems a bit light on some things and OTT on others.

Any advice / recommendations would be appreciated :)

Peter Evers is running courses on how to use an SLR (film or digital). He concentrates on learning the basics using the camera in complete manual mode rather than any of the programmed modes. Contact him at info@penryphotography.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

institute of photography - www.iop.ie is often recommended. I attended one course with them and can vouch for them. Occasionally Dave from IOP will post about these parts too.

Some other options to consider (i've not been to any but they've been discussed from time to time)

Dublin Camera Club run beginners courses - apparently not as hands on as the IOP course.

Also, a relative newcomer to the scene (well, being mentioned around these parts) is the Dublin Photography School

The Gallery of Photography also run various courses

Or how about night courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

whereabouts are you from op? If you would be interested in a few hours shooting in cork I/we would be happy to dole out advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    institute of photography - www.iop.ie is often recommended. I attended one course with them and can vouch for them. Occasionally Dave from IOP will post about these parts too.

Some other options to consider (i've not been to any but they've been discussed from time to time)

Dublin Camera Club run beginners courses - apparently not as hands on as the IOP course.

Also, a relative newcomer to the scene (well, being mentioned around these parts) is the Dublin Photography School

The Gallery of Photography also run various courses

Or how about night courses
    Cheers for that. Only issue with all of those is, they are all full blown courses. Time is an issue I am afraid So just looking for a one day overview, dont expect much other than finding my way around the SLR and various shooting modes, basically just to get the most of what I have.Not overly concerned with landscape shots and the like at this stage, if that helps narrow it down!
    mawk wrote: »
    whereabouts are you from op? If you would be interested in a few hours shooting in cork I/we would be happy to dole out advice.
    Very generous mate but am Dublin based.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

To be honest you will not get the best from your camera after a one day course. I've had DSLR's since 2005 and I'm still trying. The best way to learn is to regularly hang out with a bunch of active togs. This may be in a Camera Club or via meets from places like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not sure then of a course that fits that bill.

One suggestion is to pop a post onto the service offered/wanted thread and see if there is anybody around willing to spend a day or half day with you. Specify the gear that you have, and also request for people to include their rate. You might pick up someone - Caveat emptor applies but you'd have your choice.

You can also check out the Photo buddies thread and approach someone in there if you like - this is just a buddy situation / no expense expected - just people getting together happy with the company on an organised shoot.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

No bother op.
    But i agree with ancaitdubh, don't pay for a course. Just find someone who like shooting too and go take some shots together. Its a great way to learn.

Also, if no one is looking, read the manual. They are actually very informative and have all the info a day course would spout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Thanks for all the replies folks, appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Keep an eye out for free courses on creativelive.com. There's one on right now on the Nikon D3100 at http://creativelive.com/live

I've seen notices for similar entry level Canon DSLRs on the same site.

Advertisement