Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just split milk on laptop keyboard...

• 16-02-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Like a dummy I was pouring milk into some cereal beside my laptop and some jumped out of bowl onto keyboard! In a split second I had it turned upside down and the milk ran out but no doubt some resides inside and will dry. The laptop and the keys in question appear to be undamaged and all are working, I was listening to the radio at the time and away it went unhinged. I am now backing everything up freshly as I imagine its 50/50 whether this will destroy the laptop in a few days ... what else if anything should I be doing? I'm normally so careful doh! I imagine the best case scenario will be a bit of a smell of sour milk, which I plan to remove with compressed air if necessary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

no point in crying over spilt milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

mr lee wrote: »

Sigh. I guess I lined up for that one. Well I will cry if I have to buy a new laptop! At least this one is 2.5 years old and has been through the mill, but still money is tight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't be stupid, turn off the laptop immediately, remove the battery and leave it in the hotpress for a few days. Any drop of moistrue will short it, it could happen anytime. This is a regular with people who water damage their phones, they turn them on to see if they still work, big mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

you can easily remove the keys and even the entire keyboard with just a small amount of time and a screwdriver. granted the milk will dry, but better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    turn off the laptop immediately, remove the battery and leave it in the hotpress for a few days.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

As you have spilt milk and not water I personally would remove the battery and power lead and then remove the keyboard and dry any milk that can be seen then leave the laptop to dry with the lid facing down.When milk drys it leaves a residue which could leave to sticking keys or shorting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Don't be stupid, turn off the laptop immediately, remove the battery and leave it in the hotpress for a few days.

Yeah this is what I would do.. happened to me a few years ago... keyboard ended up being damaged.. had to replace it which cost 100STR to replace..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I just replaced a keyboard for a friend who has spilt coffee all over the laptop. The smell was unreal. unfortunately by the time she gave it to me, several keys had stopped working and even a good long soak in warm soapy water couldn't save it. Luckily it was only the keyboard and I was able to pick up a replacement for about €20 on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

What model of laptop is it, is it under warrenty... if so just call your manufacturer and explain that a key has fallen off your keyboard and need it replaced....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How much milk are we talking about here? a few droplets might not cause a problem but if its more than half a teaspoon you really do whant to try the hotpress method for a few days.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    How much milk are we talking about here? a few droplets might not cause a problem but if its more than half a teaspoon you really do whant to try the hotpress method for a few days.

Just took it out of the oven. Working fine - unfortunately the only damage that seems to have been done is my poor attempt at taking keyboard out. One button came off and had been lose for some time. I had bright idea of hoovering the keypadthinking it was optimum time to get at dirt and dust and it sucked up the Page up key. Other key was alt gr so not end of world and I can still use them,its just a button. Its a bit wonky now and doesn't sit quite right - spent ages trying to pry it off (was looking at theschematic upside down,so the release tabs were at top of keyboard,when I realised this job was done in seconds :( All buttons work but every so often the space bar misses a bit. Might take it out again and see can i get it to sit right. Hmm suppose I could always buy a new keyboard at worst - they go for 30 pounds on amazon?

Thanks for advice anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

mr lee wrote: »

Don't have a cow :D

CSU wrote: »
    Don't have a cow :D

I'll make mince out of both of you!

Advertisement