Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin Core and Earth

Options
  • 16-02-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought some twin core and earth cable recently to wire a light in shed. I done the same job in another shed last year and had the same question but never posted it. My cable has no insulation around the earth wire - just out of curiousity what is the reason for it coming like this?

Last time I used insulation tape to insulate the earth where required, but since then I have done some tidying up on the wiring on my jeep for the tow bar lights and used heat shrink for that - would this heat shrink do as an insulation sleeve on the earth in the above cable so should I just stick with the tape?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you can buy green/yellow sleeving for the bare earth on the t&e.
    standard sizes are 2,3,4,6mm. the 2mm is perfect for the t&e.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

thanks
    But I was wondering why it came uninsulated in the first place, must be a reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

It costs less to make the cable.

100m less insulation in every roll.

Because the neutral and live are insulated, you technically dont need to insulate the earth core until you strip the cable!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It costs less to make the cable.

100m less insulation in every roll.

Because the neutral and live are insulated, you technically dont need to insulate the earth core until you strip the cable!!!!!

Yea its as simple as that. Easier and cheaper to leave out something thats not really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Thanks folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

T&E with bare earth is supposed to be on the way out I was told today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Possibily cause earth is not a current carrying conductor so does noe need the same protection as L&N, only insulate it where its exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

dp639 wrote: »
    thanks
    But I was wondering why it came uninsulated in the first place, must be a reason for it.

It's cheaper and also the cable diameter is smaller with the earth uninsulated. With the cable being flat as a result of this, it can be ran in places where it's much neater

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

T&E with bare earth is supposed to be on the way out I was told today.

Any idea why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ShamFeen wrote: »
    Any idea why?

Probably because some genius that never does any wiring thought it would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

at the risk of sounding like a knob, it is insulated, just not double insulated, plus a knick in both live insulation layers will bring it into direct connection to the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Stoner wrote: »
    plus a knick in both live insulation layers will bring it into direct connection to the earth.

Identifying the fault straight away,which is what I would want :pac:

Advertisement