Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment List for serious tree felling

• 16-02-2011 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Planning to fell a decent size tree on Friday so just assembling the gear. been a while since I did this so any suggestions welcome.

The nearest object is a km away so collateral damage unlikely

Helper
    2 chainsaws c/w oil, petrol mix, spare chains, spanners
    2 axes
    1 sledge
    set of steel wedges
    gloves
    goggles
    ear muffs
    steel capped boots
    ==
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

As you say you've done it before so you know how to get it down where you want it.

Have a clear area around to run into if it doesn't go where its supposed to. Suggest you take your time make sure there are no widow makers uo there and be safe.
    Also depends what kind of tree it is and is it healthy, i.e. partially rotten trunks, etc can cause the tree to spin and kick out without warning?

As for equip I'd defo get some chainsaw trousers although for a one off job they are pretty expensive. Then again so is a stay in hospital:(

Helmet with mesh mask (not the texas chainsaw leather face mask :))
    I prefer a face mask with safety glasses as you dont get as much crud flicked up onto your face and most goggles steam up after a short while in cold weather.

chain file (& guage if you're not used to sharpening free hand) keep it sharp little and often.

chain & bar oil

Above all be safe make sure the chainsaws work properly, i.e. kickback brake and off switch. Correct tension on the chain, etc.

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

+1 on the Chainsaw trousers.

Perhaps some ropes as well, if you want to try to direct the direction of the tree to fall....

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

A small handsaw for small branches in your face gloves and a ladder firstaid kit dont do the job alone all of the above keep safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thanks for the reminders re safety.

Was just looking here
    http://www.treeclimber.ie/view_products.asp?id=1531&sectid=340
    at the throw-bags and the lines

just wonder how you get the bag and line over the limbs
    tried calling them, voicemail and email is all automated reply stuff.

I dont intend climbing but a neighbor has offered to hitch his tractor to it, from a good distance, to make sure it goes the way we want.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't use steel wedges, Nylon ones are much safer. If you pinch the bar in the tree and need to open it then you really don't want a steel wedge near your chain.
    You can double up on the wedges as well if you need more lift, steel wedges can spit off little slivers when the edges get beat up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

You'll definitely need a tree.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wouldn't use steel wedges, Nylon ones are much safer. If you pinch the bar in the tree and need to open it then you really don't want a steel wedge near your chain.
    You can double up on the wedges as well if you need more lift, steel wedges can spit off little slivers when the edges get beat up.

Thanks, saw Alu and plastic ones today

36 euro for a single Alu one , say 28/30 cm long
    the set of 3 plastic ones were 30euro but looked crap

Got a very nice mesh face grill with hard hat, chip-strap and ear defenders for 40 euro
    Wore it in the car on the way home: got some looks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

dnme wrote: »
    You'll definitely need a tree.
    :D:D
    Carlow52 wrote: »
    Got a very nice mesh face grill with hard hat, chip-strap and ear defenders for 40 euro
    Wore it in the car on the way home: got some looks:)

Should've told you to get this one would have seen you on the six one news:D

Leather-Face-Mask-34-Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

A jeep, tractor, or teleporter might be handy aswell. And a trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

+1 on the Chainsaw trousers.

Perhaps some ropes as well, if you want to try to direct the direction of the tree to fall....
    Tie a rope as high up the tree as possible is the first job I always do. I dont always need it but if things go wrong (gust of wind or it gets hung up on an other tree) you will be glad you did it first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 incident commander

Ya the plastic wedges are best we use these type Double Taper Wedges, we do a lot of timber and there strong and if ya loose them there only a few euros to pick up a few new ones.

Make sure all your gear is in working order and you'l be fine.

If you have a few pound invest in a STIHL MS 660 MAGNUM there a mad yolk.

ic.

IC
    Looked at the 660 but is a bit heavy for me at 8kg.

Went for the 391 with the 20" blade to go along with the 170 I already had.
    They both has the same sharpening guide, which I had, different file size but the rest is the same.

Where do u source the plastic wedges, I bought the saw local for service reasons but 30 yoyos for a few plastic wedges seems a bit heavy: he is charging 40 yoyos for the pressed steel horse that is in lidl for 20 at the mo!

In addition any thoughts on a good splitting axe, my supplier is c 150 for a Stihl

F McG
    Will get a sets of chaps as they are easier to take on and off

OAP: how do you get the rope high up if no ladder?

Thanks for all the insights, will email a few logs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 incident commander

Ya we have loads of different types of saws but the 660 is my favourite.

As for the wedges we bought 2 or 3 boxs of them from the USA and it was fairly reasonable timberclimber in Rathoe Co. Carlow have them but im unsure of the price of them but you could get a box for about 30e from the USA.

MES-3.5-900FG Fibreglass Splitting Axe would be good but once you have a sharpe axe anyone is good.

Ya we have loads of different types of saws but the 660 is my favourite.

As for the wedges we bought 2 or 3 boxs of them from the USA and it was fairly reasonable timberclimber in Rathoe Co. Carlow have them but im unsure of the price of them but you could get a box for about 30e from the USA.

MES-3.5-900FG Fibreglass Splitting Axe would be good but once you have a sharpe axe anyone is good.

Thanks.
    The treeclimber website is crap, at least using safari, firefox and chrome on a Mac

The splitting axe looks the business, thanks for the reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Carlow52 wrote: »

OAP: how do you get the rope high up if no ladder?

Use a long stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I bring a ladder too if I can'nt climb it. I think that catapult thing would cause a few smiles if I took it of the van though :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

what type of tree is it ?

K

karltimber wrote: »
    what type of tree is it ?

K

The big one is a stand alone beech about 60 feet high which is dozed.

The more I look at it I think I will get the pro's in to fell it, as pointed out earlier there are a few widow makers up there

there is also a stand of 10 or so scots pine c 30 feet high which are much more manageable as they have all bent in the same direction in response to the prevailing wind.

Felled and 'trailored' one yesterday in an hour with a helper

see here
    http://www.clarkforest.com/shop/chainsaw/log-jack-and-saw-horses/log-jack

Looks like it could make it easier on the back unless you are like Arnie in Commando
    I have the shirt:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement