Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike lessons (IBT)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

the instructor out in the airport road business park dose the training but i think its only discounted if two people or more are getting the lessons at the same time,,its roadskill who dose it in that thread you linked,,probaly best if you send him a pm and chat to him about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The price varies all over the country. You really will have to ring around to get the best price for yourself.

Not all instructors offer discounts but some will do a deal for friends signing up for the class together. I think maximum class size is 10 people so if you and up to 9 friends sign up together you may get a good discount, then again not all instructors offer this.

It's your money and it's your training so you need to get the best value possible, the best way to do this is ringing around.

I have only heard good things about Richard Thompson from Roadskill, I have no idea what his prices are so best to ring him. I know a few people who did advanced training with him, not IBT, and they gave him a glowing report. I know there are two other guys around Waterford that do the IBT training but can't remember their names, I'm sue if you contact either the RSA or google them you'll find something. Another idea would be to call into one of the bike shops in town, Hilton out in Honda knows his stuff, and see if they have any recommendations.

I know the RSA have plans to change the structure of the information they hold on the IBT instructors to list them by county. I don't know when this is going to happen though. This was requested by the instructors themselves.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Heard a few good things and a few bad things about him meself. I never got lessons off him so couldn't tell ya one way or the other.

Can't even think of the name of the chap I got lessons from. Da courcy I think. He was good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

thats paul ,sound bloke too for the training .wouldnt have an idea on his prices tho for the ibt or if he wud suffer how to show lads to put there bike on a stand or how to put petrol into a bike lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I got lessons (not IBT) off Paul DeCourcey and I couldnt say enough good things about him. I thought he was great, really thorough, very clear, and I found he was extremely helpful. He doesnt push lessons on you and will encourage you to ring him with any questions you have. I found he was great for not only teaching how to ride a bike but he spent ages on the phone with me going through different things to consider when I was getting a bike of my own.

Unfortunately I dont have a clue about his prices for IBT but I could PM you his number if you like, or you'll probably find him behind the bar at the Candy in John's Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 stevie81

Alright lads, my brother used him too for lessons and highly recommends him. I'l call him when I get my licence back and see if he does the IBT. I'l get back on in a few weeks and let ye know how much I paid and who I went with.

Paul is a sound chap. He done route 66 a few years back.
    One of me mates does the training I dunno how much though as he is new enough qualified. Definitely recommend Paul though. I had some load of bad habits I didn't even know about and I passed so there is hope lol

Hi Everybody...

I have just completed the IBT in Waterford and thought I would put up what I thought of it. Like most people on here I was outraged when I discovered I was going to have to pay anywhere up to €800 to do 16 hours of pointless training to ride a bike when I'd had one 12 years ago. (even if it was a honda 50 look alike.)

But anyway I e-mailed all the instructors on the RSA website and found out there was only one instructor doing it in Waterford and that was Richard Thompson of road skills. The price was €600 on my own or €400 each if there was 2 of us. So after convincing my sister to sign up too (she used to have a moped and drove various bikes while touring asia) it cost us only €400 each. The 4 modules were done over two days and while alot of module 1 and 3 felt unnecessary long module 2 and 4 were very good. I think anyone getting a bike for the first time should do some form of training even if it was two hours with an instuctor. This way you get a few hours in the compound and a day on the road. The course was very professionally run and was a great confidence builder before heading out on my bike for the first time.

He also did an insurance assessment for both of us included in the price which saved me €180 on my insurance. Overall I found it a positive experience and now that its done I am glad to be starting driving with some good habits. I would definitely reccommend that someone doing the IBT go to Richard as €400 euro with an insurance assessment is a great price and he was very patient and provided all the bikes and gear that we needed.

Glad to hear you got sorted. What bike you gonna go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

stevie81 wrote: »
    Hi Everybody...

I have just completed the IBT in Waterford and thought I would put up what I thought of it. Like most people on here I was outraged when I discovered I was going to have to pay anywhere up to €800 to do 16 hours of pointless training to ride a bike when I'd had one 12 years ago. (even if it was a honda 50 look alike.)

But anyway I e-mailed all the instructors on the RSA website and found out there was only one instructor doing it in Waterford and that was Richard Thompson of road skills. The price was €600 on my own or €400 each if there was 2 of us. So after convincing my sister to sign up too (she used to have a moped and drove various bikes while touring asia) it cost us only €400 each. The 4 modules were done over two days and while alot of module 1 and 3 felt unnecessary long module 2 and 4 were very good. I think anyone getting a bike for the first time should do some form of training even if it was two hours with an instuctor. This way you get a few hours in the compound and a day on the road. The course was very professionally run and was a great confidence builder before heading out on my bike for the first time.

He also did an insurance assessment for both of us included in the price which saved me €180 on my insurance. Overall I found it a positive experience and now that its done I am glad to be starting driving with some good habits. I would definitely reccommend that someone doing the IBT go to Richard as €400 euro with an insurance assessment is a great price and he was very patient and provided all the bikes and gear that we needed.

Wouldn't be a bad idea if people about to do/or thinking about doing the course .Could post on this thread and maybe find someone to partner up with to bring the cost down ..

• Advertisement

@ seanybiker got a bandit 600, be on the road Sunday :D:D:D

@ rockman when I called him he said he might be able to partner me up with someone if I knew the dates I was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Nice bikes the bandits! Now Pics or GTFO!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Alkers

400 is a great price with the insurance assessment. Best i've seen is 290 but that's just for ibt. What was involved in the assessment and which company does it work for, meaning to do one.

Quinn Direct I used it for but he said it'd work for Aon too...

Bandits rule. Excellent choice. Wheely woo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Having done the IBT course and got the IBT cert, It will entitle you to a Full License rate on Bike insurance.

Advertisement