Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needle exchange?

• 16-02-2011 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi there I am just wondering what people think of having a needle exchanhge facility in waterford city. As i am sure people are aware the number of IDU's is increasing a lot over the last few years. Also with the terrible deaths in kilkenny carlow and dublin, a needle exchange would probably have a safe place to take the drug with a nurse/doctor, meaning the dose is monitored and less risk of overdose.
    I feel that its very important to have needle exchange but am just wondering what the general feeling is :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Sounds fine by me. I suppose if it cuts down on things like needles being left in public places then great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It's a great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Not in my backyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Not in my backyard.
    +1. Play with fire and your sure to get burned,tough luck if it backfires,no one's forcing people to inject themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Good idea,
    burying heads in sand pretending there's no problem is a commmon response
    Funding for it would. B impossible no doubt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

marlin vs wrote: »
    +1. Play with fire and your sure to get burned,tough luck if it backfires,no one's forcing people to inject themselves.

I see needle exchanges the same way I see incinerators. They're great to have and I agree with them. I just wouldn't like to see them in my own neighbourhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Also with the terrible deaths in kilkenny carlow and dublin, a needle exchange would probably have a safe place to take the drug with a nurse/doctor, meaning the dose is monitored and less risk of overdose.
    What do you mean, a nurse/doctor can't be helping someone take illegal drugs?!!!

What do you mean, a nurse/doctor can't be helping someone take illegal drugs?!!!
    was wondering that meself but left it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

googled it and still havent a clue whats goin on. is it like a clinic where junkies bring ther own heroin and a nurse gives em it?

when does the exchange happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

Needle exchange and safer injecting facilities/ consumption rooms are totally different propositions. Unfortunatley I think we are quite a ways off opening consumption rooms in Ireland.

• Advertisement

googled it and still havent a clue whats goin on. is it like a clinic where junkies bring ther own heroin and a nurse gives em it?

Get clean needles and give the nurses the dirty ones so they can jab people in hospitals they dont like.

re: your sig....... play red dead redemption more. its the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

its where used needles are swapped for new ones, that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

also known as shooting gallerys in other countrys,,wouldnt like to see it take on here in fairness,,maybe up in dublin but not here in waterford,,,wasnt there talk a while back of a methadone center being set up here so the junkies from killkenny wexford and tipp could get the bus down here so they could get there legal fix.

also known as shooting gallerys in other countrys,,wouldnt like to see it take on here in fairness,,maybe up in dublin but not here in waterford,,,wasnt there talk a while back of a methadone center being set up here so the junkies from killkenny wexford and tipp could get the bus down here so they could get there legal fix.
    Parochialism is so cute sometimes. A needle exchange and a 'shooting gallery' are not the same thing. A needle exchange is what it says it is, a place where used needles are handed in and exchanged for new ones. There's no-one shooting up at the exchange or having a big junkie party. Drug addiction is a fact of life in most major cities and towns including Waterford these days whether we like it or not. A needle exchange just makes things a little safer for the junkie and sometimes for the rest of us as well.

If I were being as hysteria driven as the 'we don't want that sort of thing in our town' folks I'd posit that I'd rather a needle exchange than needles left in parks for kids to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

i think there is a chemist in town that does it. "I wont mention which 1 because if im wrong I dont want any comeback" but i was in there and some guy gave in needles and they gave out fresh clean stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

tankbarry wrote: »
    i think there is a chemist in town that does it. "I wont mention which 1 because if im wrong I dont want any comeback" but i was in there and some guy gave in needles and they gave out fresh clean stuff....

That could quite possibly be a controlled/known process for some diabetics insulin or similar. If so, I'd presume its done in conjunction with a prescription and wouldnt work for illegal drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

old gregg wrote: »
    If I were being as hysteria driven as the 'we don't want that sort of thing in our town' folks I'd posit that I'd rather a needle exchange than needles left in parks for kids to play with.
    I've come across used condoms, but I never came across needles.

Is there a part of the city where its a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

dayshah wrote: »

Maybe we could get a condom exchange set up? ;)

dayshah wrote: »

Is there a part of the city where its a problem?
    I never said that it was a problem so can't direct you to anywhere in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I believe Boots run a Methadone clinic or did last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Hi there I am just wondering what people think of having a needle exchanhge facility in waterford city. As i am sure people are aware the number of IDU's is increasing a lot over the last few years. Also with the terrible deaths in kilkenny carlow and dublin, a needle exchange would probably have a safe place to take the drug with a nurse/doctor, meaning the dose is monitored and less risk of overdose.
    I feel that its very important to have needle exchange but am just wondering what the general feeling is :)

Only if they Legalise Cannabis :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Down with this sort of thing!

Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

That could quite possibly be a controlled/known process for some diabetics insulin or similar. If so, I'd presume its done in conjunction with a prescription and wouldnt work for illegal drugs.

definetly not for dibetics it wasnt for insulin.... It was definetly for drugs use I knew the head that got them ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

so he handed in used needles and he was given fresh needles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Thought this was a knitting enthusiasts thread...oh well!

Advertisement