Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with stew im making now

Options
  • 16-02-2011 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hello, im making a beef and guiness stew, i fried the onions, celery and carrots and i have it in the oven at 180 its supposed to be in there for 3 hrs, i wanted to add baby potatoes cut in half but was thinking they might turn to mush, can i add them after and at what time, i was thinking of adding chopped up red pepper too (is that normal). Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I usually make my stew on the hob & leave it simmer gently for around 2 hours. A 180C oven sounds too hot to be honest. If your stew is boiling hard in the oven the veg will turn to mush & the beef to leather.

Anyway, if the spuds are small - add them to the pot around 25/30 mins before the end of cooking. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mrmr

Yeah, that's what i was thinking! But the recipe in jamies ministry of food says 200 c/gas 6 for 3 hrs!! I've turned it down to 170 now. Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Far be it from me to contradict the Great Jamie Oliver himself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Turn the heat down! Turn the heat down!

(I'd run it at 160 tbh - if you're running it at 180, check it to make sure it's not drying out)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

mrmr wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what i was thinking! But the recipe in jamies ministry of food says 200 c/gas 6 for 3 hrs!! I've turned it down to 170 now. Thanks for your help :)

My experience of Jamie Oliver recipes is that I always have to turn the heat down. I do like his cook books and recipes but I have burnt a few of them
    and learned my lesson. His oven must be way cooler than mine.

200 for 3 hours sounds far to much to me.

Hope it was a success.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bit late in here, but agree with the others. i usually do stew at 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I usually make my stew on the hob & leave it simmer gently for around 2 hours. A 180C oven sounds too hot to be honest. If your stew is boiling hard in the oven the veg will turn to mush & the beef to leather.

Anyway, if the spuds are small - add them to the pot around 25/30 mins before the end of cooking. Best of luck!

I do the same for about 3 hours, half the spuds in from the start to thicken the sauce and the other half in like Bill said, near the end.

Advertisement