Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Mobile who?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I got a job up North and I will probably getting a UK Mobile and I was wondering who would be the best mobile operator to go with?

Which would be the best operator to go with for ringing/texting Southern numbers?

I am tempted to get a smart phone like the N8, but I am unsure should I get a contract or just a pay as you sim and buy the N8 online (ebay or something).

Is there any app or something that I could use to call/text southern numbers cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

There are a few options.

1) Get a 3-IRL SIM/Contract. You can use this in the UK exactly as at home. You can also use up to half of your minutes to call UK numbers, no free texts to UK numbers though.

2) o2-UK do a deal for £10 where you get up to 3000 minutes to call 3 specific landline numbers. There is also a PAYG version, which I think might allow calls to mobiles too. They also allow 'free' (i.e. UK rates apply) roaming on PAYG for calls & texts when roaming on o2-IRL.

3) T-Mobile-UK (Orange-UK, too) offer:
    "Europe & Australasia 5 Talk Booster" which give 60 mins/month for £5
    "International Texts" which gives 100 texts/month international numbers, again £5/month. Both on Bill-Pay.

Apps like Viber and Whats'App offer calls and texts to other smartphone users with that app installed. This comes out of your mobile data allowance.

I would avoid the N8, it is based on a platform Nokia have killed, and is nothing special, other than the camera. There are numerous issues with the handset which need to be addressed with a long-promised update, which may never arrive. There will be no more premium Symbian phones and the number of Apps is nowhere near iOS/Android.
    Something like the HTC Desire/Samsung Galaxy/iPhone would be better choices, IMHO.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭6679

Thanks for that.

With 3 IRL can you get that with pay as you go?

Oh I wasnt aware there where so many problems with the N8. Will look into the other phones.

Advertisement