Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expanding foam & PVC window

• 16-02-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Howdy, fitted a window to the garage I just built but I have a gap between the lentil and the top of my window of about an inch. Wont be plastering so I was going to use exp. foam but worried that it may be hard to get off the pvc window. I was thinking of spraying the foam from the inside using a piece of 3x2 wrapped in plastic to stop it from coming out the other side, dont really care if it sticks badly on the inside.

Anyone has problems with expanding foam or any other ideas on sorting out the gap would be appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Hiya did you seal under the window where it hits the sill? A good bead of caulk should go in there if you still have the window loose enough to lift it.

As for expanding foam I presume you are using a disposable can and not a foam gun as you would also have foam cleaner if you had a gun. Either way you can with a bit of practice put just enough foam in so the gap is filled/sealed and no more. If you want put some masking tape on the frame and when the foam is dry remove excess with a sharp knife then peel the tape off.

However not a good job to leave foam exposed as it will perish in the UV and vermin love to bury through it. Also looks pretty naff and unfinished from a mile away once it goes orange plastering will properly weatherproof the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Hi, no I didnt seal under the window with caulk but could still do.

I'm using a disposable can and was hoping to fill/sand it after and a coat of paint maybe. Masking tape would be a lot easier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

If you're adamant that you wont plaster it then go to a window supplier/fitter and get some PVC strip same colour as window. Alternative would be some of that plastic crap that's all over the place at the moment aka election poster though this is twin wall and wouldn't look great. :)

Caulk/fit this to the front so that it covers the gap then when dry fill void behind with foam using masking tape and then cover back void with PVC strip also.

You have me thinking now, a white pvc strip would look good. The whole idea of the 3x2 batton was to give it a flat finish that I may not have gotten with a blade but with a pvc strip & foam behind it might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

Used to have a fear of expanding foam myself after numerous disasters with it, then I found out about a special gun applicator for it. It's the business, you can adjust the flow rate of foam and when you take your hand off the trigger the foam stops coming out. Thats one of them there http://www.parfix.ie/product.php?sp_p=GFAPP45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

When having Windows fitted I noted use of foam, excess came off very easily from pvc frame, just snapped off.
    Fill with foam, then cut back excess with knife, use pvc strip to cover, silicone seal as necessary.

Just don't use too much foam and allow it to cure as per manufacturers guidance.

There's also pvc cleaner that will take off pretty much anything but it's powerful stuff. look up Cosmofen.

Thanks lads, I give it a shot at the weekend.

Advertisement