Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Debt paid with Mortgage holiday?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I have a 3K debt on a credit card.

I am struggling to get this debt reduced at the minute due to trying to prepare for a new baby in the house. Minimum repayments are no problem but its kinda like running on the spot. I have savings but they are tied up for 18 months.

Is it feasible to take a 3 month holiday from my mortgage to get rid of this debt? Does it effect your credit rating to take a mortgage holiday?

Also, my mortgage is fixed, will this complicate things?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You have to apply for a mortgage holiday and the bank will want a very good reason for giving you one. I think it's very unlikely that they'll allow you to take a complete holiday. You might be allowed to go interest only for a few months. Best bet really is to ring the mortgage advisor in your branch, they'll be able to have a look at your situation and advise on whether it's worth applying for a payment break.

Advertisement