Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A positive Iphone 4 story...

• 16-02-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

I bought a 2nd hand Iphone 4 off of adverts.ie for just over 400 euros (32gb) took a bit of a risk on it, seeing as it didn't come with the box or anything like that. I thought if worst comes to worst and it's blocked I could change the IMEI or something (highly illegal but It was a last case resort)

The phone was factory reset at the time, and the phone requires a mini sim so buying it I took a major gamble as I couldn't really test it before buying.

I was given the IMEI from the fella selling it, and I rang Vodafone and O2 to see if it was blocked... and neither said it was. It was supposed to be locked to o2 but when I went into the o2 shop after buying it wasn't on record with them at all..

So essentially the phone wouldn't accept any sim card, It didn't say the phone was blocked but it recognised my o2 sim card but had no reception. The shop tried a few new sim cards but no luck. It said "Activating please wait" for several days...

I rang Apple told them my problem and the history behind it, and they replaced the handset within a week, new phone/IMEI. Sim is working fine too.

Delighted... they were very helpful too.

I was very lucky as I could have been 400+ down and Iphone less...

I found the person who sold it to me on facebook (**** wouldn't answer his phone after no surprise) but I don't know if there is anything I could have done regardless...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

but I don't know if there is anything I could have done regardless...

It sounds like a broken locked phone. One hypotheses: the phone was stolen, reported and killed. Phone hacked and restored somewhat.

Apple were probably delighted to get their hands on it for research. ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Well if the phone/IMEI wasn't blocked in Ireland, I was thinking maybe it was purchased in the US or somewhere and locked to one of their networks. Fella that bought it thought he was getting one relatively cheap, brought it home, wouldn't work with any of the networks. Hocked it to a fool like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

. Hocked it to a fool like me.

Who's the fool? You've a brand new phone worth what? €600 :D Result, I'd say.

Yeah as long as I don't get ****faced and lose this one like I did the 3gs I'll be doing fine...

I'd love to inform the sneak that sold it to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wouldyabewell

Hi I bought a second hand restored iPhone 4 a few weeks ago and have had exactly the same problem. I called to the guys house today and I was told by the "new owners" that he has left the country so now I have basically an itouch. I was just wondering which apple number you called to get your new imei. I really hope this works for me also. So dissappointing spending so much money on an iPhone that doesn't work properly! Your post has given me a lot of hope 😊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I can't see Apple doing this for everyone, otherwise they are helping feed the flood of stolen and blacklisted phones. There are more an more people ending up with expensive iPod Touches as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wouldyabewell

Its always worth a try :(

I was essentially calling them telling them it just wouldn't activate...

Worth a try...

Think I rang the call centre in Cork, was fairly honest about it at the time I think, saying I bought it second hand and such.

No point lying and getting caught out, make you look even more shady.

Advertisement