Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming interest relief - am I allowed?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

To claim rent relief where i am renting now.
    I half own a property thats rented out and we do not claim interest relief on it so am I ok to claim or not?

if anyone knows the correct answer, that would be great

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A wild guess would be no, you're not entitled to rent relief.

But, contact your local social welfare officer and he will inform you.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

Paulw wrote: »
    A wild guess would be no, you're not entitled to rent relief.

But, contact your local social welfare officer and he will inform you.

thanks for replying paul. god i dont know what to do now as i actually claimed for the first time last year and i was about to send off this years form and i was wondering was i allowed. would i get into big trouble now for doing that last year?
    it was an honest mistake on my part :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Do you mean just the standard tax credit? If so then yes I don't see any issue with it.

If your talking about social welfare then I haven't a clue sorry

Do you mean just the standard tax credit? If so then yes I don't see any issue with it.

If your talking about social welfare then I haven't a clue sorry

thanks for replying. i just meant that im renting an apartment with someone else and i was just wondering about rent relief for private rented accommodation.. am i entitled to do that? i dont want to get in trouble so i dont want to post it off in case im not entitled to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

thanks for replying. i just meant that im renting an apartment with someone else and i was just wondering about rent relief for private rented accommodation.. am i entitled to do that? i dont want to get in trouble so i dont want to post it off in case im not entitled to it!!

Oh, with that, you might well be entitled to it.

But, you really need to talk to the Revenue to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes you are absolutely entitled to it.

Owning property does not stop you being entitled to tax relief on rent you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If you get tax relief on your mortgage interest you can't claim rent relief on another property aswell, as the rent relief is only applicable for your principal private residence, in the same way your mortgage relief is only for a principle private residence.

As you say you dont claim mortgage interest relief, you are therefore entitled to claim rent relief as the rent you are paying is on your principal private residence.

Hope that makes sense.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Yes you are absolutely entitled to it.

Owning property does not stop you being entitled to tax relief on rent you pay.

thanks so much for the reply.

Tails142 wrote: »
    If you get tax relief on your mortgage interest you can't claim rent relief on another property aswell, as the rent relief is only applicable for your principal private residence, in the same way your mortgage relief is only for a principle private residence.

As you say you dont claim mortgage interest relief, you are therefore entitled to claim rent relief as the rent you are paying is on your principal private residence.

Hope that makes sense.

it does and thanks a million for the reply. appreciate it.

Advertisement