Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slipping gears, creaking crank - learnt a bit from local shop

• 16-02-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I brought my mountain bike to the local bike shop because it was slipping gears on an excursion in Roscahill woods (Galway).

I thought it was an indexing problem - because the bike is relatively new and the gear cogs wouldn't be damaged yet... (especially the inner ones)

Turned out a previous fall I had bent my (I believe its called a) dropout. Its cool - the frame wasn't damaged and nor was the derailleur, only the dropout. Apparently one should always check this first before checking the derailleur. As the chain makes a loop around the rear derailleur both above and below it need to be in line. Mine was straight at the top but the bottom of the chain wasn't.

Anyway, the bike was creaking a bit on the crank and I asked him to have a look at it. Turned out the grease was gone! He asked me did I power hose it and I told him I did... So thats a no no... How am I going to clean my bike in future?

We've 4 other bikes (2 racers and another 2 mountain bikes) and I think I may have damaged the cranks on all of them. I'm thinking I should get the tools to fix them all. What do I need or should I just get the bike shop to look at them all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Sniipe wrote: »
    Anyway, the bike was creaking a bit on the crank and I asked him to have a look at it. Turned out the grease was gone! He asked me did I power hose it and I told him I did... So thats a no no... How am I going to clean my bike in future?

We've 4 other bikes (2 racers and another 2 mountain bikes) and I think I may have damaged the cranks on all of them. I'm thinking I should get the tools to fix them all. What do I need or should I just get the bike shop to look at them all?
    Don't point a powerwasher directly in at any bearing seals - bottom bracket, hubs etc.

Dunno will you be able to service any of the other bottom brackets, probably have to replace them if they are also squeaking/grinding/wobbling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

OP get the bike shop to look after them, they will be in good hands :D

Advertisement