Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks in D15

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Starbucks' strategy is to saturate an area with its cafes. Each additional cafe reduces the revenue of the existing Starbucks, but also removes some of the local competition, and as the franchise revenue is going back to the parent company anyway they don't lose.

There's an argument that having lots of cafes is also beneficial for customers (more empty seats etc.), but I don't buy that!

I know all about their business model, and while it works I do think it's pretty shabby as it's aimed at removing consumer choice. However Blanch must be the highest concentration of Starbucks per square km of anywhere in the world. They had two in the IFSC very close to one another, but one closed down before Christmas because they weren't getting the customers. There's plenty of choice around there so they actually found it hard to compete, which is encouraging as it proves they're not invincible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

I love Starbuck in New York. Bigger portions, keener prices and better service. I find their staff over here atrocious. As a rule I won't drink their coffee as it's pure muck but I'm hooked on their vanilla frappaccino with an extra dollop of cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Starbucks in the McDonalds of the Coffee market. You dnont go to McDs for gourmet food?

/end of

Drapper wrote: »
    Starbucks in the McDonalds of the Coffee market. You dnont go to McDs for gourmet food?

/end of

Steady on, scorchy or what?

its a fact no? I still go there, but if I have time to kill I tend to go to the smaller boutique coffee shops and have a real brew.

• Advertisement

What boutique coffee shops in D15? Have I missed them? The best coffee in Dublin is Caffé di Napoli in Pearse Street or La Corte at The Epicurean Food Hall in Middle Abbey Street.

Silver spoon in Castleknock is not bad... now I've answered your questions can you answer mine? easy on the bold font (=shouting)

Perhaps you should ease off on the caffeine.

yawn... feeble attempt at a discussion...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Drapper wrote: »

/end of

Ironically, McDonalds coffee is highly regarded in the US. Surveys rated it as being superior in quality and taste than a lot of the "gourmet" coffee chains. I never go to McDs here so don't know what their coffee is like locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

What boutique coffee shops in D15? Have I missed them? The best coffee in Dublin is Caffé di Napoli in Pearse Street or La Corte at The Epicurean Food Hall in Middle Abbey Street.

The only boutique (using the term loosely) D15 coffee shop I can think of is the Gourmet Deli (beside Superquinn in Blanch village). Vaguely similar style to Caffe di Napoli (which is exceptional), nice coffee and a good selection of Italian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Also The Roastery up at the back of Rosemount would kinda fall into the boutique area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Just tried the "Anniversary Blend" - it's very good! If you are getting a filter coffee you might want to request it.

Advertisement