Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate to do Psychology

• 16-02-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

So basically my friend did a PLC in Ballyfermot last year and has now got into Arts in Maynooth.

I'm wondering how far can you get in terms of qualifications after doing a one-year PLC.

I really want to study Psychology in college next year. I'm desperate to do Psychology because its such an interesting degree and so many jobs you can get from it.

I was thinking that when I refill my CAO in May I will make sure to only have Psychology courses on it, including Applied Psychology in Dun Laoighaire.

Recently the scores I've recieved in my exams are giving me the impression I could end up with 440 points about but I'm hoping with a little more work I can push this up.

If I don't get it I will do a PLC and see if I can get into Arts or pure Psychology in Maynooth after that year. Reason is because I don't want to end up in a degree I don't like for 2/3 years and I'm ok at Art & Design so I would still be interested in doing a one year portfolio prep course.

Also is there any other courses I could do that might form a backbone to doing pure Psychology? I've looked up PLC's and all and only found courses in social care and stuff. Would these be any good in helping me get into a full Psychology degree.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Why don't you do psych and another subject that compliments it? As it is you'll have to do something else at the end so you might aswell do something else along the way to make you stand out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Maybe you have already, but if not be sure you attend the open day in Maynooth prior to opting for psychology as this will give you a better insight into the requirements of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

I think you can do a TSM in TCD with psychology, the points are between 500-580, the lower mark seems to be achievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Why don't you do psych and another subject that compliments it? As it is you'll have to do something else at the end so you might aswell do something else along the way to make you stand out?

Is that an Arts degree you're talking about?

I put that on my CAO. I'm thinking of doing Sociology as my second choice of subject because its the closest to Psychology I can think of. My third is English as I'm good at it (get A's in honours etc.) so I'm really hoping to get this if I don't have the points for Psychology elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Ya, it's far from looked down on to do it through an Arts start, anything with it is good, maybe philosophy might float your boat, or a foreign language, anything really!

• Advertisement
Advertisement