Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    When do we start worrying about the weather? My weather app showing highs of 27C for raceday!
    Just about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looks to be a one day blip, so hopefully it will get pushed out by a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Hard to know what the weather will be like with conflicting reports this far out, I haven't checked the wind forecast.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Boston+MA+USMA0046
    Says high of 24C to low of 6C and sunny

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MA/Boston.html
    Says 13C/3C and cloudy, though Sunday is at 23C

http://www.boston.com/weather/
    Says 17C/9C and partly cloudy

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/boston-ma/02108/daily-weather-forecast/348735?day=6
    Says 18C/11C and partly cloudy

Doomsday forecast is http://www1.whdh.com/weather/
    27C/11C Sunny

I guess the sun (if it appears) will be into our faces. Sunnies required?

I'm going to choose to believe in the yr.no weather report, as it's slightly less worrying:
    Partly Cloudy - 20'C - 0 mm rain - Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from west (Tail-wind).
    However, it seems to be changing hourly.

Also this:
    How to Run the Boston Marathon: Race Day Strategies

wideball wrote: »
    Hard to know what the weather will be like with conflicting reports this far out, I haven't checked the wind forecast.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Boston+MA+USMA0046
    Says high of 24C to low of 6C and sunny
    That first one has a 21km/hour head-wind. We'll be having less of that please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

In order to distract you all from your weather prediction mania for one or two seconds;)........
    I'll pop on to wish you all the very, very best of luck next Monday. Boston is a spectacular race and the atmosphere is electric, if I had to pick a favourite of mine I think this would be it.

Don't forget to pick up your poster at the expo, it has all the entrants' names printed on it and it's handy for playing "Where's Wally?" especially if you can't sleep the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Saw on MarathonTalk that live coverage should be available on universalsports.com. Might be tricky to watch given it's a work day of course ;)

Best of luck to everyone, hopefully the wind will blow in the right direction & it won't be too hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

opus wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone, hopefully the wind will blow in the right direction & it won't be too hot!

+1 although I begrudgingly say this ;) Seriously best of luck. Don't go off too fast in the first 6 miles and keep a calm head through wellesley college. You'll hear them before you see them. I promise to stop doing my heat-wave dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hey all- Good luck! I am seriously jealous that you are getting to run in America's finest city. Leave it all on the course and have a ball. I look forward to reading the reports!
    DQ

All set and packed and ready to go?

Just to confirm the important details of our post-race beers. We're in Clery's immediately following the race, and The Publick House that night.

Will see some of you in the airport/on the flight tomorrow morning - for those who haven't met me before I'll be the one in the Boston Marathon hoodie ("high energy" colour), trying to keep a hyperactive one year old amused within the confines of a plane. Sitting in row 29 - come and say hello!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Best of luck all. Wish I was going back. Don't worry about the hills, they'll be fine. Just do not under any circumstances get suckered into running the first 5 miles faster than you should. Its very easy to do in Boston. In my humble opinion you should not think about banking any time in the first 1/4 of the course. It'll do more damage than you think. Even effort all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

All set and packed and ready to go?

Just to confirm the important details of our post-race beers. We're in Clery's immediately following the race, and The Publick House that night.

Will see some of you in the airport/on the flight tomorrow morning - for those who haven't met me before I'll be the one in the Boston Marathon hoodie ("high energy" colour), trying to keep a hyperactive one year old amused within the confines of a plane. Sitting in row 29 - come and say hello!

See ya tomorrow in the airport... packing will have to wait till this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Just a bit for you lads to watch before you fly off.
    Remember run the upper part of heart break hill as fast as possible (the down part):).. if dicky can do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzljrUrwKE

shels4ever wrote: »
    Remember run the upper part of heart break hill as fast as possible (the down part):).. if dicky can do it....

If that doesn't get you in the mood nothing will :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

shels4ever wrote: »

Wow!

loughie wrote: »

Hopefully the clouds will come out, looks a bit warm. I guess the strategy would be to drink small amounts of water frequently. I promise that I've stopped doing my heat wave dance:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Hopefully the clouds will come out, looks a bit warm. I guess the strategy would be to drink small amounts of water frequently.

Beginning to consider a drinking strategy involving frequent amounts of beer while watching others running... those temperatures just aren't going to help PB times!
    I promise that I've stopped doing my heat wave dance:)
    Have you got a rain dance in your repertoire?!

figs wrote: »
    Beginning to consider a drinking strategy involving frequent amounts of beer while watching others running... those temperatures just aren't going to help PB times!

Have you got a rain dance in your repertoire?!

I can't believe that after so much training / battling through injury / all the domestic sacrifice etc. to get to the start line that we are going to face 32 degrees celsius.

We all got a mail just now from Boston organisers which seems to be suggesting that runners reconsider running at all, let alone trying for a time.

I don't think there's any way I can run in that heat - no chance. Maybe go to the start line and jog it or something - but then that means being out on the course for hours longer in the killer heat.

Some dose... what a waste :mad:

I can't believe that after so much training / battling through injury / all the domestic sacrifice etc. to get to the start line that we are going to face 32 degrees celsius.

We all got a mail just now from Boston organisers which seems to be suggesting that runners reconsider running at all, let alone trying for a time.

I don't think there's any way I can run in that heat - no chance. Maybe go to the start line and jog it or something - but then that means being out on the course for hours longer in the killer heat.

Yeah i see they have a weather warning on the homepage. Don't get too down beat they are just covering their arses at the moment and talking about the worst case scenario.

There is nothing you can do about the weather, so if it is a scorcher just adjust your race plan accordingly. No use worrying and getting upset over things you can't control.

I'm off to start my Boston rain dance. Now I don't want any complaints if you guys get a monsoon :)

• Advertisement

Yeah i see they have a weather warning on the homepage. Don't get too down beat they are just covering their arses at the moment and talking about the worst case scenario.

There is nothing you can do about the weather, so if it is a scorcher just adjust your race plan accordingly. No use worrying and getting upset over things you can't control.

I'm off to start my Boston rain dance. Now I don't want any complaints if you guys get a monsoon :)

Sure thing RR.

Meanwhile, hey Krusty, I just got back from this joint you recommended. Man, they have some selection. That's the grub for the wekend sorted!

Yep, it sure is warm here and all anyone is talking about is how hot it's going to be on Monday.

More importantly haven't seen Krusty since the queue for customs in the airport. Hopefully those cuban cigars in his case won't mean he'll be seen on the next series of Banged Up Abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Very frustrating. Look at the positives though. Not sure if you have been to Boston before but it is a stunning city! Architecturally beautiful. Worst case scenario, you get to enjoy a 26.2 mile tour of all the sights. Not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I was at Logan Airport today to meet a few people and there was no sign of Krusty. Perhaps he's on their list of subversives.
    Weather forecast is for 85F but with a 37% humidity. It will be tough, however, the course is well serviced with water and gatorade.
    Best of luck to those taking part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck lads, do as best as you can. Thats what its all about.

Yep, it sure is warm here and all anyone is talking about is how hot it's going to be on Monday.

More importantly haven't seen Krusty since the queue for customs in the airport. Hopefully those cuban cigars in his case won't mean he'll be seen on the next series of Banged Up Abroad
    It's ok, I had the cigars secreted somewhere where the customs guys wouldn't dare to check. :)

All talk here in Boston has now turned to the weather. 'Some' heat I had prepared myself mentally for, but this much? Just bad luck. Well, it is, what it is...

It's ok, I had the cigars secreted somewhere where the customs guys wouldn't dare to check. :)

Make sure nobody is within smelling distance when you light those bad boys up.

Forecast getting pretty accurate now:

24 degrees C at the start gun at 10am
    29 degrees C at the three hour mark at midday
    Then rising to 33/34 in the early afternoon :eek: - the hottest ever temperatures for Bostin Marathon.

Heading to the expo this morning. Should be surreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

loughie wrote: »

don't underestimated the significance of the heat lads.

The first year I ran it in '93 it was about 24 degrees and after training through one of the coldest hardest winters on record, I wasn't ready for it.
    I went out in something like 88 and came back in 2hrs and was in bits.

So as hard as it might be, forget about pb's, be conservative, take in loads of fluids, and enjoy the day, and then take in loads more fluids and enjoy the night :D

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    don't underestimated the significance of the heat lads.

The first year I ran it in '93 it was about 24 degrees and after training through one of the coldest hardest winters on record, I wasn't ready for it.
    I went out in something like 88 and came back in 2hrs and was in bits.

So as hard as it might be, forget about pb's, be conservative, take in loads of fluids, and enjoy the day, and then take in loads more fluids and enjoy the night :D

Good post.

We've all been there to some degree, where a bid at a PB was dented by hot weather, a wet track, a ridiculous headwind, timekeepers messing up electronic timing etc etc. It's just far worse for you guys, given the nature of the marathon and the fact that you can't just run them every week or two.

You've flown all that way and it's a great bloody city so you might aswell soak up the experience. Pretty prestigious race which you have earned your places in.

The one positive thing about the heat is that it will bring the supporters out in their droves. Should be a great atmosphere on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Feel sh1ty saying it's fooking freezing in Rotterdam.
    Stay safe boys and girls it's not Olympic qualifying or anything, just another tick in the box and plenty more races to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Statement from Boston:

Notice to all 2012 Boston Marathon participants
    We are looking closely at the current weather situation which is projected to be
    quite warm. The B.A.A. is closely monitoring this situation for for race day
    decisions. If the temperatures reach certain levels, running will put even the most
    fit athletes at risk for heat injury.
    We are now making the recommendation that if you are not highly fit or if you
    have any underlying medical conditions (for example-cardiac disease, pulmonary
    disease or any of a number of medical problems), you should NOT run this race.
    Inexperienced marathoners should not run.
    Those who have only trained in a cooler climate and who may not be acclimated
    (for at least the last 10 days) to warm weather running conditions should also
    consider not running.
    For those very fit athletes who decide to run, you should take significant
    precautions:
    Run at a slower pace and maintain hydration.
    You should frequently take breaks by walking instead of running.
    This will not be a day to run a personal best. If you choose to run, run safely
    above all else. Speed can kill.
    Heat stroke is a serious issue and is related to intensity of running as well as the
    heat and humidity.
    Good hydration is important but over hydration can also be a problem. Thirst is
    an indication that you are under-hydrated. You should maintain hydration levels
    slightly greater than your hydration program in your training, but not excessively
    so.

I've been doing my rain/bad weather dance all day today and yesterday. I seemed to have mustered up a tornado in KCs home patch out in Bray. I just have to figure out how to transport them accross the Atlantic now :D

On other thing that's occurred to me. It's Saturday afternoon in Boston and the BAA are pretty sure about high temps for Monday. Instead of sending out emails and press releases to cover their arses why don't take a decision with runners in mind and move the start back to 8am? I know it could be a bit of a logistics nightmare but I'm sure it could be done. There is a real risk to runners well being. Fcuk the sponsors and tv put the runners first. Migt be a naive outlook but if an earlier start is possible it should happen.

• Advertisement

So disappointed with the situation here. One of the few things you can't control and it has gone severely against us.

Not sure what I'm going to do on Monday. Went out for an easy 4 miles around 11am this morning and it felt very hot, and that was probably about 10 degrees cooler than it will be at the same time on Monday. Guess if this was September the body would be more acclimatised to running in heat, but it simply isn't.

Have pace bands for 2:52 and 2:51, but they're probably useless now. Is sub-3 possible, I'm not sure. Saw a pace converter which suggested that a 2:52 should be downgraded to 2:58 in 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Not sure how accurate it is, but would still be a PB if I could do it.

On a more positive note, if this situation was ever to happen in any race I'm glad it was this one. The atmosphere is electric here, and it seems like everything and everyone is focussed on the marathon. (Well, that's not entirely true - the Red Sox game is probably getting more attention). So many marathon tshirts from around the world walking the streets and all the lampposts have marathon banners. Regardless of whatever time I run, it's going to be an incredible experience - I just need to be sensible enough to make sure I can enjoy it.

On other thing that's occurred to me. It's Saturday afternoon in Boston and the BAA are pretty sure about high temps for Monday. Instead of sending out emails and press releases to cover their arses why don't take a decision with runners in mind and move the start back to 8am? I know it could be a bit of a logistics nightmare but I'm sure it could be done. There is a real risk to runners well being. Fcuk the sponsors and tv put the runners first. Migt be a naive outlook but if an earlier start is possible it should happen.

8am might be pushing it given all the logistics with ferrying us all out to the start, but you would certainly think they could bring it forward by an hour.

The emails are serious ass coverers, and worryingly hint that they are considering calling it off. If I was to be following their advice I'd be spectating on Monday.

Really feel bad for everyone who trained their asses off throughout the winter, only to be greeted by these temps.

On the plus side, even though I had qualified, I opted out of running this year because I wasn't ready, but looks like I'll be able to do next year without having to run another qualifying time :D

http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/blog/2012/04/baa_to_allow_runners_to_defer.html

I went to the race briefing yesterday hosted by the race director and course director to ask that very question RR. The've known about the weather since Thursday after all. They were really laying it on about the precautions etc. but totally dodged the question and muttered about logistics, too late to tell people etc. Yet they assume their ass-covering e-mails will reach everybody.
    It's gotta be money and TV...

They did give one concrete piece of information - 32 degrees means one minute per mile slower. They based this on their own experience running in 30+ temperatures.

Reckon I'll kiss the sub 3 attempt goodbye and jog it. Keep the big run for Cork maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Very best of luck to everyone running Boston in the morning. Take it easy, enjoy the race, soak the atmosphere up... perhaps it may not be the day to go chasing that PB....there'll be plenty of other days for that. Seek shade in the athlete's village too....

Boston is an amazing race and I am really looking forward to reading all the race reports!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Just had a read of this...more of the same reports that have surfaced.
    Big dissapointment for the boardsies hoping to set good times but be careful lads and ladies...you need to finish in one piece,we hear horror stories of people collapsing with heat exhaustion.

Heat forces Boston Marathon, runners to adjust
    By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer–33 minutes ago
    BOSTON (AP) — The Run for the Hoses. The Duel in the Sun. The Inferno.
    As the prospect of 80-degree temperatures looms over Monday's Boston Marathon, race organizers are hoping the heat will forge a classic contest to rank among the legends of the event's 116-year history even as they prepare for a potential medical crisis if runners wilt under the scorching sun.
    The forecast forced organizers to offer an unprecedented deferment to the entire field of 27,000 that had spent the last year qualifying, registering and training for what often is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
    "We're asking runners who haven't run previously to think about tomorrow and maybe coming back next year," Boston Mayor Tom Menino told attendees at the traditional pre-race pasta dinner at City Hall Plaza on Sunday night. "We don't want to have any accidents out there, or anybody overtaken by the heat."
    The Boston Athletic Association also offered a deferment in 2010, when the Icelandic volcano eruption stalled air traffic in Europe and prevented about 300 runners from getting to Boston. There is no way of knowing how many will take the BAA up on its offer this year until Monday morning, when the number of no-shows is calculated.
    BAA co-medical director Pierre d'Hemecourt warned runners with underlying medical issues, such as a cough or a cold or a recent stomach virus that left them dehydrated: "Please don't run the marathon on Monday." Those who have not run a full marathon before, or who have not run in the heat, also should sit this one out, race organizers said.
    "Only the fittest runners should consider running. The risks that you'll see tomorrow are simply greater than normal," BAA executive director Tom Grilk said, advising runners who do line up at the start to slow their pace and focus on finishing rather than having a fast time. "You should adopt the attitude that this is not a race; it is an experience."
    One year after cool temperatures and a significant tailwind — perfect running weather — helped Geoffrey Mutai finish in 2 hours, 3 minutes, 2 seconds for the fastest marathon ever, the heat has elite runners preparing for a slower pace and the recreational runners trying to figure out how to finish at all.
    Forecasts call for 73 degrees at the 10 a.m. start in Hopkinton, 80 degrees at the halfway point in Wellesley by 11 a.m. and 82 degrees at the Back Bay finish line at noon. For the recreational runners expecting to be out on the course in the afternoon, temperatures are expected to peak at 84 by 3 p.m.
    Although Mutai said he has never run a hot marathon, fellow Kenyan and defending women's champion Caroline Kilel said she was used to training in warm weather. But Kilel said the typical conditions were more like 73 degrees — hot for a marathoner, but not quite what's expected on Monday.
    "The heat affects everybody. Nobody runs fast in the heat. Nobody benefits from the heat," 1968 winner Amby Burfoot said this weekend as the weather became the dominant topic of conversation. "If anyone's been training in Miami, that would be great for them."
    The Boston Marathon has had its share of hot weather, with the thermometer hitting 97 degrees during the 1909 race that came to be known as "The Inferno" and the 1976 "Run for the Hoses" that started in 100-degree heat and finished with spectators sprinkling winner Jack Fultz with garden hoses to cool him down.
    "It's just the worst thing a marathoner can face," said Burfoot, who ran with Fultz for half of the '76 race before fading in the heat. "I hate that the marathon is such a crapshoot. You train for 4-6 months, and the only thing that matters is the weather."
    There were only 2,188 entrants in the '76 race, and just 7,647 six years later when Alberto Salazar won the "Duel in the Sun" against Dick Beardsley.
    This year's field of 27,000 presents organizers with a new challenge.
    Because of qualifying requirements, most of the field will have run a previous marathon in a time that can be as low as 3 hours, 5 minutes for men aged 18-34. But the times go up — to 5:25 for an 80-year-old woman — and several thousand other runners who raise money for charity receive entries with no requirement to have run a marathon.
    And even those who have run fast times in the past could be caught unprepared by the hot weather.
    The last on-course death of a Boston Marathon participant occurred in 2002, but the Chicago Marathon stopped its 2007 race after 3½ hours when a runner died after temperatures climbed to 88 degrees.
    The BAA renewed warnings on Sunday night to drink enough — but not too much — water, and to recognize the symptoms of heat stroke: confusion, headaches, nausea, vomiting and excessive fatigue.
    Race director Dave McGillivray said organizers will have double the water on the course, along with more ice and more emergency staff to deal with problems from the heat. Emergency rooms along the course also are preparing for a potential influx of heat-related problems, and Menino said the city also will boost the police presence.
    Also of concern are the hundreds of thousands of spectators who line the 26.2-mile course.
    "The message out there is bring your own stuff," Grilk said. "We have a lot of water on the course, but we need to conserve it for the runners."
    Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

To all you guys and girls in Boston, just go out and enjoy the atmosphere.

There are between 500000 and 1000000 spectators on the course giving you the rock star treatment, make the best of it. The temperature won't make for a good race but might just make for a great atmosphere if you run it smart and don't go out hard.

Good Luck!

Different than usual marathon nerves this morning. Looking forward to the day. No pressures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is there a possibility they would cancel/postpone this if it gets too warm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

G-Money wrote: »

They have run Boston through snow storms, hurricanes and heat waves.
    They will not cancel it!

Best of luck to everyone doing this. Have fun but mind yourselves. Remember it's better to be 20 minutes late than 50 years too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Anywhere to watch this online?

nerraw1111 wrote: »

not 100% sure, but I think someone mentioned universal sports have it online.
    Setanta are showing it live at 2.30pm.

I don't have Satenta but my friendly neighbourhood bar have said they will stick it on for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

G-Money wrote: »

You clearly don't have much experience with the New England mentality....:D

Not to defend the organizers but while I feel awful for the boardsies who are having to deal w/ the tough temps out there - it would be seriously difficult to move it. Patriots Day in Boston is a massive holiday w/ a big baseball game, the marathon, re enactments of us kicking the British Red Coats as$ etc... I' d assume that the logistics when it comes to all of this is incredibly carefully planned. The planning is in place to allow all the events to go off safely- if you start tinkering with this, it actually makes everything slightly less safe as huge crowds descend on the city for the day.

The point has been made that Boston has been run in everything from Nor' Easters to heat to snow storms- I agree with alot of the sentiment that while the times might be slow, the party/ atmosphere will be amazing. Good luck to everyone running and be safe in that heat. Following Boston.com I'm actually pretty impressed with all the extra medical support/ awareness that will be out on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

nerraw1111 wrote: »

http://universalsports.com/category/marathon/boston-marathon/

For those without Setanta like myself:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement