Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 seperate races this year?

• 16-02-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination or did I read somewhere that CI decided that A4 races are to be run seperately to the other catagories this year?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There was a proposal to introduce a new category instead of A4, that I think involved separate races. It was scrapped in the end.

This is the current state of affairs:

"A4:Organizers are encouraged to promote A4 only races. Such races will not be in excess of 80km. A4s may race with other categories in a handicap situation only subject to the 80km distance restriction. A4s will not be allowed to compete in ANY stage race with any of the other categories. A4s who scored points in 2010 will carry forward 100% of the points scored into 2011. The maximum number of prizes to be presented will not exceed the first 6 places."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Hopefully more seperate this year too as organisers see the benefit of getting in more numbers. I was led to believe by some organisers that they would run A4 seperate races on a few occasions depending on numbers. Wasn't run once just thrown in with the A3's.

Am up this year but was a great intro for last year though some of the combined ones it was ridiculous putting A4's in as we got crucified.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Am up this year but was a great intro for last year though some of the combined ones it was ridiculous putting A4's in as we got crucified.

Regularly turned up at S3 races over the years to be thrown in with the S1 and S2's. Robinstown was the most notable culprit. 3 times I turned up for a 50k S3/V/J race and ended up being told on the start line I was in a S1/2/3 handicap of 100k......

The only problem I have with the A4 cat is it's too hard to get upgraded. shaulgil did it on merit despite getting no points for getting 5th in handicaps against A+/A1's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I would ask you A4's to voice your displeasure to myself or directly to the road commission.

I think there should be separates for the A4 cat whats the point of having Martyn irvine etc. having a go of the good doc Robfowl!!!!

Sometimes from the organisers perspective they might not have the personnel to deal with 3 (or more) races on the same day.

I was in discussions with some other riders about running an A4 series on the warrenstown circuit on saturday mornings starting at 9am. Unfortunately it never took off but who knows maybe this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Are Naas CC running a A4 series in mondello this year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

+1 on Robinstown last year 100 km in the lashing rain hanging onto the A1's for dear life. The term chewing the handlebars never felt more apt.

We did discuss here before points for first A4 no matter where but I guess there's no solution. Great fun last year delighted CI introduced (and retained) the category.

Well done CI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I would suggest that CI should suggest to the clubs running the races in March to plan for separate A3/A4 races. Last year I got the impression that the clubs were surprised at the turnout for the first few races and the size of the combined A3/A4 pack pelting down some back road in Dunboyne was crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I would suggest that CI should suggest to the clubs running the races in March to plan for separate A3/A4 races. Last year I got the impression that the clubs were surprised at the turnout for the first few races and the size of the combined A3/A4 pack pelting down some back road in Dunboyne was crazy.

agreed! and will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Great idea having seperate racing for A4 riders . However , its very hard to get upgraded to A3 for most of them due to most races ending up in a big gallop.
    Another issue , with the A4 catergory being excluded from stage racing (ie. Donegal 3day) and Cycling Ulster having a womens team entered doesnt make any sense to me . I was in Donegal last year driving our team car and these ladies where out the back door very early in each stage . Heather Wilson being the exception.
    If the A4 riders do choose to get themselves upgraded to A3 they usually end up riding short handicap races and getting a beating from the fulltime A1 riders.
    No easy sloution to this problem...

Advertisement