Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping your energy up during exams?

• 16-02-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

how do you guys do it ? especially those long 3 hours exams .our school doesn't allow water or food during exams and i find my head slipping on the table about half way through and going for a little snooze :p i eat a good breakfast but if you have breakfast at 7.30 - exam starts at half 9 and goes on until half 12 thats 5 hours without food or water and i get so hungry and have no energy to write .just curious to see what everyone elses does ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I know, exams can be extremely exhausting. By the end of each of my mocks last week all I could think of was food, despite stuffing my face completely ten minutes before the exam.

I also sprinted to the toilet for the longest piss of my life after English Paper Two.

The Leaving Cert takes its toll on students physically even more than mentally :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Lots of Wine Gums,And Jaffa Cakes if you can :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Berocca. Have you buzzing. Sitting there shaking in the seat i was. Wrote like a hooor. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bluemooner

No food or water?
    i dont know what ive have done without a can of red bull and a litre of water.
    you've got the right idea with a big breakfast anyway, try and get plenty of fresh air before the exam too! Thats pretty mean that you cant have water though. i dont know what else you can do to keep the energy levels up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

That water thing's silly. Get your parents to complain or something. Sip of water every while is a great way to stay awake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

Lads! No water? Do they not know that it's three bloody hours of frantic scribbling? That sort of work is exhausting!
    If you think they'd listen, have a chat with the principal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Berocca. Have you buzzing. Sitting there shaking in the seat i was. Wrote like a hooor. :D

Same here. :D But I get red bull in between exams - got one today after history before english paper 2, I can still feel my heart racing. :D

AND I've gotta say that toilet dilemma really drives me nuts... :/ You know you need to go, but then you think that in that five minutes you can write so much... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

Berocca boost is amazing - it's like two red bulls but you're a bit less jittery. If you need to pull an all nighter, take it at around three in the morning and you'll see through. I reckon I'll be needing to crack open a new tube for the mocks next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Exercise in the morning really gets me alert and energy levels up, I crash at about 8pm though!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Try avoiding sugary foods or energy boosts, I find they give you a short boost and then you crash afterwards so you keep taking more. A week of this will have you feeling pretty rough.

Try eating a good breakfast in the morning like porridge that is slow releasing in energy and maybe grapes in the exam to keep you hydrated and give you energy. Complain about not letting food or water into the exams, it's ridiculous. They might be more lenient with fruit or other healthy foods.

Get a good nights sleep and each day get a small bit of exercise, doesn't have to be a marathon just a walk or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

The Shtig wrote: »
    Try avoiding sugary foods or energy boosts, I find they give you a short boost and then you crash afterwards so you keep taking more. A week of this will have you feeling pretty rough.

Try eating a good breakfast in the morning like porridge that is slow releasing in energy and maybe grapes in the exam to keep you hydrated and give you energy. Complain about not letting food or water into the exams, it's ridiculous. They might be more lenient with fruit or other healthy foods.

Get a good nights sleep and each day get a small bit of exercise, doesn't have to be a marathon just a walk or something.
    So silly. I had a picnic going into mine, water, milk, red bull, nuts, fruit. Buut, I did have my own room...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Princess18

For The Mocks I Had Porridge Every Morning About 8am, I Wouldn't Get Hungry Then Until About 12.20, I Also Heard Its Good To Go For A Run The Night Before To Get Your Blood Pumping Around, Im Gonna Do That For The Leaving Deffo.. And Sneak Wine Gums In My Pencil Case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I pretty much lived off coffee and sugar in the morning to get me through my mocks (finished today hoorah!) but I found myself really unable to concentrate when I came home. It wasn't tiredness it was just jitteryness because of the caffeine, I just couldn't focus. I wouldn't advise people to do likewise because it becomes a vicious cycle and you wake up every morning needing a coffee to get you through.

I'm also taking vitamins but tbh I don't know if that makes any difference to my energy levels. I just find once I get in, especially in English where you're writing non stop, that I am able to focus and put all other stuff out of mind, even the toilet. I would personally hold it anyway because my writing is slow enough as it is without wasting 5 minutes on the john! :D

Advertisement