Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 24Mb NGB upgrade actually a downgrade!

Options
  • 16-02-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I was on Eircom 24Mb Home Turbo for the last year. I was one of the lucky few whose lines actually synced at the full 24Mb and always got a solid 20Mb in real speed terms allowing for dsl overheads which I was very happy with. With the 24Mb profile, you get fastpath too, so super low ping latency, they don't offer fastpath with any other profile, only 24Mb.

On the morning of 15th February, my line suddenly dropped, was out for a bit and when it came back it was on a 17Mb profile with Interleaving. This apparently was my 'upgrade' to Eircom's NGB Ultimate! I did not order this, but knew it was coming sometime as they are gradually changing people over. The ADSL 8Mb people in my exchange were already changed over to NGB in December.

What I did not expect was a slower line. I could tell from the SNR margin that things were not as good as they used to be. Line attenuation remains the same. I got them to change the profile up to 20Mb, but with the current SNR margin, that's as far as it will go now.

I think they changed my port on the DSLAM and there is simply more noise/interference (mainly from other lines) now and that's the way it is. But it's highly unacceptable, and certainly not an upgrade of any sort. Yes, my download quota has changed from 75GB to 'unlimited' aka 250GB but it isn't an upgrade of any sort and my one year contract is up in early March, so it wasn't good timing on Eircom's part to do this either. As always, didn't get told this was happening, just got cut off while this was done and then had to chase them up to get the correct speed for line myself. The fact remains though, that my line *is* capable of 24Mb sync speed, i've had it for the last year and i'm now not getting it. That's a completely different situation to a lot of other lines which are not capable of 24Mb sync speed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

douglasman wrote: »
    I was on Eircom 24Mb Home Turbo for the last year. I was one of the lucky few whose lines actually synced at the full 24Mb and always got a solid 20Mb in real speed terms allowing for dsl overheads which I was very happy with. With the 24Mb profile, you get fastpath too, so super low ping latency, they don't offer fastpath with any other profile, only 24Mb.

On the morning of 15th February, my line suddenly dropped, was out for a bit and when it came back it was on a 17Mb profile with Interleaving. This apparently was my 'upgrade' to Eircom's NGB Ultimate! I did not order this, but knew it was coming sometime as they are gradually changing people over. The ADSL 8Mb people in my exchange were already changed over to NGB in December.

What I did not expect was a slower line. I could tell from the SNR margin that things were not as good as they used to be. Line attenuation remains the same. I got them to change the profile up to 20Mb, but with the current SNR margin, that's as far as it will go now.

I think they changed my port on the DSLAM and there is simply more noise/interference (mainly from other lines) now and that's the way it is. But it's highly unacceptable, and certainly not an upgrade of any sort. Yes, my download quota has changed from 75GB to 'unlimited' aka 250GB but it isn't an upgrade of any sort and my one year contract is up in early March, so it wasn't good timing on Eircom's part to do this either. As always, didn't get told this was happening, just got cut off while this was done and then had to chase them up to get the correct speed for line myself. The fact remains though, that my line *is* capable of 24Mb sync speed, i've had it for the last year and i'm now not getting it. That's a completely different situation to a lot of other lines which are not capable of 24Mb sync speed.

Hi douglasman,

If you private message me with your eircom telephone number or account number I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

The issue has been sorted, line profile manually changed back to 24Mb fastpath, and line back syncing at full 24Mb and completely stable as was the case before, so all is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

douglasman wrote: »
    The issue has been sorted, line profile manually changed back to 24Mb fastpath, and line back syncing at full 24Mb and completely stable as was the case before, so all is good.

Hi douglasman

thanks for getting back, glad all ok. I will let Mark know.
    Tony

Advertisement