Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamarind Sauce

Options
  • 16-02-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I am in love with Thai food espically Tamarind Sauce which is usually served with Duck and crispy Noodles.

Does anyone have any idea where I could pick some of this stuff up? I hvae looked in supermarkets etc but all I found there was tamarind and mint and it just wasn't the same!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'm not sure exactly what sauce it is that your looking for, but i doubt you will find it in many supermarkets. I asked a Thai friend what it could be and she said there are many types of Thai Tamarind sauces but she thinks the one you would be looking for would be a sweet and sour Tamarind sauce similar to this one. You should be able to find Tamarind paste in an Asian market, or even some Fruit and Veg markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

I was in an Indian shop in Galway today and they had tamarind sauce there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Haven't had any of these
    http://bombaybazar.ie/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=tamarind&x=0&y=0

I would presume the concentrate might be what you want, but not sure if the sauces are mainly something else, like the tamarind itself might be very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Not sure if its what you are looking for but my local tesco has this:

http://www.bartspices.com/html/category.php/cmd/p/id/143/cat/14

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I have seen it in the supermarket attached to the mosque in Clonskeagh.

• Advertisement

I got some in the spice bazaar shop in blackrock market in dublin, I heard the owner saying he is open everyday now, not certain of that since the market is sat & sunday but his shop is sort of separate. They switched shops in the market and are now in a nicer bigger spot.

Tamarind was €2.50 for a jar I think was 340g, it was concentrated and says to mix half with water, it was 48% tamarind in the ingredients, tasted a small bit and it was nice. They had another smaller pot too.

I also got goldfish brand chinese curry sauce, for 2.75 which is VERY similar to chinese takeaway curry sauce.

The shop is very well stocked but they do not have prices on many things which annoys me, dunno if it is since they just moved.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/boom-time-for-this-stock--market-with-a-difference-1910443.html
    One of the biggest shops is Spice Bazaar, which has one of the best ranges of Asian foods I have seen in Ireland. Among the myriad items stocked are coconut oil, rose water, Patak spices, Priom coconut chutney, Double Horse tamarind, Jagary, black tamarind, big jars of coriander powder, Grandma's plum pickle, ginger pickle, beetroot pickle, date pickle, Rasam powder, sambar powder -- this is the place to buy your spices and lentils at great value prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Lidl had bottles of tamarind sauce in recently as part of thier asain food promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I see Tamarind as a jar in the "Thai Gold" range of products and this is generally available ... in my local Supervalu eg.

Just make sure to read the labels and see it is what you expect. e.g. tamarind is an ingredient, a fruit, but some tamarind sauces might be ready mixed with only a small bit of tamarind in them. Like sharwoods have a hoi sin sauce but it is really trying to emulate a hoi sin dish you might get in a chinese -so it has only a small bit of actual hoi sin sauce in it.

I would guess some of these supermarket ones could be similar to that.

Advertisement