Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Productions currently on in Dublin

Options
  • 16-02-2011 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I am looking for other peoples opinions on this. I am not a very regular theatre goer but if I see an advert for an interesting production I will make an effort and have seen some incredible productions over the years. My genral impression would be that theatre has huge potential and is very poorly marketed. The theatre for me is something special. However looking today at what is currently on this coming weekend in Dublin, I can't remember ever seeing such a poor a list as this :

http://dublin.2night.ie/events/theatre/20110219/search.html

THEATRE · COMEDY
    JOE ROONEY

The former Father Ted man makes a rare and welcome appearance. Tickets cost ...

THEATRE · COMEDY
    ANDREW MAXWELL

The former The Panel star makes another hometown appearance. Tickets cost ...

THEATRE · COMEDY
    BOMBSHELLS

This play by Jasango promises a rip-roaring, explosive and hilarious evening spent with several generations of women on the edge. Tickets cost €12 ...

THEATRE · COMEDY
    REACHING RICHIES FREEDOM

A new play inspired by the genius of Richie Haven's 'Freedom' follows Pete, a scholarship student of Trinity, as he disects his transition from the ...

THEATRE · SHOWCASE
    RAOUL

Acrobat, clown, poet and magician James Thiérrée plays Raoul through a series of fantasies using his full range of skills. Tickets are available from ...

THEATRE · COMEDY · DRAMA
    BE MY LOVE IN THE RAIN, DOWN BY THE RIVER

Two new plays written and directed by Paul Kennedy deal with life, love and desire in contemporary Dublin. Linda Teehan and Michael Bates ...

THEATRE · COMEDY
    GRUMPY OLD WOMEN

Rather like it says on the tin, women of a certain age – with plenty of wit – hold forth on life, the universe and everything. Tickets are available ...

THEATRE · COMEDY
    CALENDAR GIRLS

The hugely popular true story about a group of ordinary women who pose for a charity calendar hits Grand Canal Theatre. Tickets are on sale now from ...

THEATRE · DRAMA
    MARY MOTORHEAD

Mary Motorhead has been locked in a prison cell after stabbing her husband in the head, with a 12-inch carving knife in this play by Mark ...

THEATRE · MUSICAL
    DIRTY DANCING

The hugely successful stage adaptation of the rom-com comes over for its first Irish run. Tickets are available from ...

If you take out 'comedy theatre' / comedy gigs, and also removing Twink and also the not at all patronising one about 'Pete from tallaght who goes to trinity' there is very little choice at the moment. Even what is available does not appear that interesting. I know this is all subjective but . . . my God. Any other thoughts on this ? Are there other productions coming soon ? Is this a particularly bad time ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I agree with you, theatre is very poorly advertised for obvious reasons outside of professional productions.

keep an eye out on the usual entertainment sites for show but also check the thread in this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60691004#post60691004

Boards is also home to No Drama Theatre who have their forum here:

http:/nodrama.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

What's wron with Raoul?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Went to see Raoul tonight, amazing show can't recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

goose2005 wrote: »
    What's wron with Raoul?

I meant theatre as in 'to see a play/Drama' not a magician/acrobat performer etc.

In the end went to see 'The Merry Widow' operetta at the National Concert Hall, I would highly recommend that if you get the chance.

Morlar wrote: »
    I meant theatre as in 'to see a play/Drama' not a magician/acrobat performer etc.

In the end went to see 'The Merry Widow' operetta at the National Concert Hall, I would highly recommend that if you get the chance.

Give it a go, you might find yourself surprised,

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/going-out/review-raoul-2549065.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Iompair wrote: »

Thanks for that recommendation again, but no thanks, when I said 'Production' I probably should have specified 'Play/Drama'.

Grand, not for everybody I suppose.

Advertisement