Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do light dimmers save much on the Electricity bill?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2011 wrote: »
    Well you must have a lot of lights on a lot of the time them!

Well having a young family usually means that kids leave lights on alot.
    But Im teaching them (or at least trying to anyway) to turn lights off in rooms where they are not playing in or using.

I do have alot of lights in my house,as its a large house,but now that everything is LED and CFL,this has saved alot.

My kitchen appliences are also A-Rated too so that helps too..

Every little helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you have a lot of downlighters of the halogen 60 watt type then they would run up a bit of a bill alright.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well having a young family usually means that kids leave lights on alot.
    I know what you mean.
    My kitchen appliences are also A-Rated too so that helps too..

I think you might find that this is making more of a saving than the lights.

It is items like the fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, immersion etc. that will make up most of the average electricity bill.

I also think that some LED and CFLs are so expensive that they pay back time is so long that it is simply not worth it.

I would agree that energy saving lamps have made massive advances recent years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If you have a lot of downlighters of the halogen 60 watt type then they would run up a bit of a bill alright.

I guess you mean 50 watt?

I agree, but in my opinion for a domestic premises that is bad lighting design.

I guess you mean 50 watt?

I agree, but in my opinion for a domestic premises that is bad lighting design.

Yes 50 watt:D. Yes bad design alright, plenty seemed to have them in though.

• Advertisement

Yes 50 watt:D. Yes bad design alright, plenty seemed to have them in though.
    True.

I think the "runway look" i.e. lines of downlighters give a really nineties look to a home.

True.

I think the "runway look" i.e. lines of downlighters give a really nineties look to a home.

I could probably do with runway lights for the flyin of radio control stuff these days now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

The CFL being more efficient part is true.
    Im not sure its true to say dimming a 100w bulb does not reduce its running cost though. It is true to say a CFL is more efficient, but they are 2 different things being confused. How efficient a CFL is has no bearing on whether dimming an incandescent bulb will reduce its watts usage. If a 100w bulb is dimmed to 20 percent its full brightness, it must have a fair drop in watts used.

See below for savings resulting from dimming

Amount DimmedPotential Saving1010%2520%5040%7560%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can now buy fully dimmable CFL bulbs.They come in an E27 fitment (screw cap)

I have a few 15W dimmable CFL bulbs in my floor lights and they are very good indeed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Martina1981

Hi,

Did anybody switch recently to energia electricity provider?
    I spoke to their rep and he said I may save 20 euro per month based on my old bill.
    He said also I do not have to let my landlord know in case if I want to switch to different provider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Zombie thread. You can start a new one if you wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement