Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky HD without HD sub

• 16-02-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I want to upgrade to a Sky HD box, but I don't want to subscribe to HD. I'd be happy with the few free HD channels that I could get and the extra storage space over the regular sky+ box.

What kind of prices could I get a HD box for, from sky? Not really interested in one secondhand as I would prefer to have one with a guarantee.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

New customers get the box free with €30 install charge,existing customers are looking at paying €169 for the box without the HD pack.With HD pack it's €30
    Sky have been known to offer the HD pack for €5 p.m if you are upgrading,worth asking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

I'm a SKY + subscriber just called re SKY HD and was offered a free box with 185hrs programming (he said 120GB box), plus 30 install, and 15 sub + 12 mth contract, I prefer to buy online I think for the box, you don't get many HD channels unless you have movies/sports I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

johnmryan wrote: »
    I'm a SKY + subscriber just called re SKY HD and was offered a free box with 185hrs programming (he said 120GB box), plus 30 install, and 15 sub + 12 mth contract, I prefer to buy online I think for the box, you don't get many HD channels unless you have movies/sports I think

bbc1 hd , bbchd, itvhd ,and luxehd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I think the €15 per month sub for the HD channels is a real rip off. I'm hoping sky drop it to €5 month or get rid of it completely.

So at the moment it's €30 install + €15/month with HD sub
    €169 install without HD sub

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

Do you really need to pay the €30 install. Surely for a SKY+ to SKY HD upgrade without the HD channels its a case of unplugging 4 cables and plugging in a new box?

I too am interested in moving from SKY+ to SKY HD just for the extra HDD space and as my SKY+ box is getting on to 7 years old and not happy....

I refuse however to pay an extra €15 pm for the HDD, actually I dont have an HD TV in the living room and have no plans to :-) HD is for Blu-ray and Gaming not for watching Eastenders IMO :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Sky have been known to offer the HD pack for €5 p.m if you are upgrading,worth asking them
    No, Sky will deny this €5 pm offer, they will tell you it's not valid, the only people offering it are the salespeople who ring you up offering you different packages !! I know, I was 'caught-out' with this offer.
    Do you really need to pay the €30 install
    Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 empowerer

My OH rang Sky yesterday to upgrade from Sky+ to Sky HD. They offered HD pack for €10 per month and install for €75. Dropped install to €15 when OH said it was €30 online, and dropped HD pack to €7.50 per month when asked if we could "just have it for half price". The €7.50 lasts for 12 months but sure then we can cancel it or try and get a better deal!

Just curious did you call SKy in Cork or UK, guy I spoke to could not care less if i took out HD or not, called hoping to get an offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

empowerer wrote: »
    My OH rang Sky yesterday to upgrade from Sky+ to Sky HD. They offered HD pack for €10 per month and install for €75. Dropped install to €15 when OH said it was €30 online, and dropped HD pack to €7.50 per month when asked if we could "just have it for half price". The €7.50 lasts for 12 months but sure then we can cancel it or try and get a better deal!

That's a great deal,the price of install and the sub works out cheaper than trying to source your own box.Try NOT to talk to Cork-the UK call centres seem to offer better deals.Cork is just basically to take new orders and will do little else but refer you to the UK call cenrtre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 empowerer

It was Cork the OH got through to (well a person with a Cork accent at least), which I thought strange because I have always found the Scottish call centre's alot better when trying to do anything with Sky.

The deal was fantastic, and I'm still going to keep the current box for FTA channels as well. Couldnt have worked out better!

• Advertisement

empowerer wrote: »
    It was Cork the OH got through to (well a person with a Cork accent at least), which I thought strange because I have always found the Scottish call centre's alot better when trying to do anything with Sky.

The deal was fantastic, and I'm still going to keep the current box for FTA channels as well. Couldnt have worked out better!

Yea cork here too, not 7.50 offer though. It's strange because sometime you call them, they nearly want you to take something for free and other times, they just want you off the phone.

Advertisement