Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a PDA type product for a disabled person?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hiya, hoping someone can help. (Hope I've posted to the right forum) I'm looking for something like a PDA or pad type device for someone with reducing mobility on their hands and arms. At this point they will just about manage to swipe a finger across a screen so pressing buttons unfortunately is not an option.

Mainly they miss reading an awful lot so an electronic reader would be great. He's not great with techology - he just about managed his old Nokia when he was able to, so something easy going would be ideal.

Any feedback you could offer would be really really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hi roisin,

What will the device be needed for? Is it just simpliy calls and texts?

If you could read THIS and post back it will help people give you better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Davy wrote: »
    Hi roisin,

What will the device be needed for? Is it just simpliy calls and texts?

If you could read THIS and post back it will help people give you better results.

Thanks Davy, sorry yes I should have read that first.:o

The main thing as I said is reading. He cannot hold a book or newspaper anymore so if I could download books/newspapers onto a device for him that he could read. So yes, mobile connectivity would be important. A large tablet/touchscreen device is also essential as he cannot hold it, so I intended on buying some kind of stand that it could be placed on and then he could use his limited mobility to use the touchscreen.

In an ideal world, yes he would be able to text again (if such a device exists) as he misses being able to do so himself.

Presently, he is pre pay and has no internet connection in his house so I'm not sure what to do there. I wouldnt like him to get a bill in the door. I'm O2 Billpay myself so perhaps I could connect it to my own account? Maybe he might enjoy using the internet now that he has the time to learn how?

If the product is right, we'll be willing to buy irrespective of the price. A few of us intend to chip in for it and if it helps him out a bit, that's priceless.

With what you have said so far, an iPad seems like a good choice. Ok its not a phone, but regards books, newspapers, internet etc it will do that with a big touch screen and easy to understand. He could also text from it. Does that sound like a possibility?

I didnt realise you could text from a Ipad. I though it was just a mini PC. How would it work though with the connectivity - Would I have to get him a wireless connection/3G or something? Apologies for my limited knowledge of these things:confused:

You could either get one that works from 3G (phone network with micro sim in it) or one that connects to WLAN only.

• Advertisement

Thats great - thanks for the help on that one. Really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You could consider Samsung Galaxy Tab. Its basicly an oversized feature phone :)

Advertisement