Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord appliance repair dispute

Options
  • 16-02-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi, so basically I've a problem with my landlord. Our washer broke and won't drain and as a result my clothes were sligthly wetter than usual going into the dryer (although I did squeeze/wring {or whatever you want to call it} them as dry as I could). When I came back to get my clothes out of the dryer they weren't dry and I noticed that when I put them on again it wasn't spinning. So basically it looks like the belt is broken. I called my landlord and told her the problem and she said she'd pay to fix the washing machine, but that as I'd (apparently) broken the dryer I'd have to pay for it.

We don't have a lease (she said she's write one up and never did) and she never mentioned anything about what would happen if the dryer broke, let alone what the maximum capapcity was, so am I actually legally responsible? I'm pretty sure dryers are expected to take clothes that are that wet, given that I wrung them and they weren't dripping. So given that there's no lease in which I agreed to pay for any repairs, am I still responsible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

ihateirony wrote: »
    Hi, so basically I've a problem with my landlord. Our washer broke and won't drain and as a result my clothes were sligthly wetter than usual going into the dryer (although I did squeeze/wring {or whatever you want to call it} them as dry as I could). When I came back to get my clothes out of the dryer they weren't dry and I noticed that when I put them on again it wasn't spinning. So basically it looks like the belt is broken. I called my landlord and told her the problem and she said she'd pay to fix the washing machine, but that as I'd (apparently) broken the dryer I'd have to pay for it.

We don't have a lease (she said she's write one up and never did) and she never mentioned anything about what would happen if the dryer broke, let alone what the maximum capapcity was, so am I actually legally responsible? I'm pretty sure dryers are expected to take clothes that are that wet, given that I wrung them and they weren't dripping. So given that there's no lease in which I agreed to pay for any repairs, am I still responsible?

Hi

First of all, just because you dont have a written lease, doesnt mean you dont have an agreement, a verbal lease agreement. You are still liable for any damages that you cause in the property the same way that the landlord is liable to repair anything necessary.

If your washing machine is not draining or spinning, its most likely that the filter is blocked. You can clear this yourself, there should be a pipe at the front if you remove the panel. Things get caught in here and need to be removed periodically. Be careful though as the water will rush out when you open the stopper so have a basin handy. Make sure you put it back on properly too when youre finished.

With regards to the dryer, Im not sure that you broke it by putting overly damp clothes in. Id be more worried that the clothes would be damaged if I was you. In my opinion, I would think the landlord would have to send a repair guy for this. He/She may argue it differently though.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jo_bombshell

Had a look on the threshold website and this is all I could find, it really depends on how old the dryer is but my opinion would be that it is prob jus wear and tear, meaning the landlord should sort it.
    Repairs
    The landlord is obliged to carry out repairs except where damage beyond normal wear and tear has been caused by the tenant.
    (http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240)

You should contact threshold http://www.threshold.ie/menu.asp?menu=102
    or Citizens Information By Phone: By phoning the Citizens Information Phone Service. Lo Call 1890 777 121 or +353 21 452 1600

One of them will be able to tell you your exact rights, but from my experience a lot of landlords will try to get out of fixing things or parting with their money. And a lot of them think that if theres no lease they might get out of paying a deposit so be careful of that too. A verbal aggreement of tenancy can be backed up if you pay your rent by direct debit, if not get a receipt of some sort off your landlord to prove you're paying him/her rent.

Hope this helps :-)

Advertisement