Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner occupied house and lease agreement

Options
  • 16-02-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been reading through some threads on here about owner occupied houses and just have a question that I can't seem to find in them.

The tenant isn't covered by the usual tenant/landlord laws, even with a lease the tenant can still be kicked out at a moment's notice correct? Basically the lease wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on.

I'm just wondering does it work the other way as well? Does the lease mean anything if there is an issue with landlord from the tenant's point of view? Does the tenant have to fulfil the lease or can he give a reasonable amount of notice and leave without having broken the lease?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Reasonable notice needs to be given. this would normally be interpreted as a month or possibly the rent period (whether the rent is paid weekly or monthly).

However, if the lodger set fire to the place (not accidentally), then insisting they leave immediately might be considered reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

gagiteebo wrote: »
    The tenant isn't covered by the usual tenant/landlord laws, even with a lease the tenant can still be kicked out at a moment's notice correct? Basically the lease wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on.
    Your lease is still a valid enforceable contract same as any other contract, however you have no extra rights that a "real" tenant has such as security of tenure, recourse to the PRTB etc.

Advertisement