Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email via phone only...best option

Options
  • 16-02-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have an old 'smartphone' (ie. it no longer qualifies for that title these days) - a Nokia N70. In any event, it does all that I want it to do...or at least it did until now. I need to access email on the go.
    Don't need to surf the net - but just access email occasionally. That brings me to a couple of questions.

1. What mobile co. is the best to use for this purpose (ie. the cheapest rate/stable connection) - bearing in mind i'm currently on payg with vodafone.
    2. I guess there's no way the N70 is suitable for this purpose? Maybe to view - but not to reply - can this work with another keyboard?
    3. I've read that it's possible to have a smartphone display on a pc screen. I don't suppose its possible to do this without having to install an application on the pc (as I can't!!)?
    4. Would it be possible to run said connection through a proxy (I use a paid for- proxy at home).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can view and reply to email with the n70. Its not amazing by any standards, but for occasional usage it will do the job.

What email client do you need to use?

You can use vodafone prepay, and just pay for the days that you use it, at 39cent for a 360 offer till the end of march or 99cent standard pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Davy wrote: »
    What email client do you need to use?
    need access to what is normally a web based mail - gmail.
    You can use vodafone prepay, and just pay for the days that you use it, at 39cent for a 360 offer till the end of march or 99cent standard pricing.
    I would probably use it for a couple of hours each day. Is it possible to do so via a proxy - or is that simply asking too much?

Last query - re. keyboard. Is there any keyboard that I can use that phone with. I struggle to even txt with it - those bloody buttons are far too small for what must be spud pickers hands! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

need access to what is normally a web based mail - gmail.

Last query - re. keyboard. Is there any keyboard that I can use that phone with. I struggle to even txt with it - those bloody buttons are far too small for what must be spud pickers hands! lol

Gmail is imap/pop3 as well as web based and will work on the n70

Celluon CL850 virtual keyboard might work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could get a bluetooth keyboard, once you wouldn't minding having it with you.

Hi folks. Just rechecking this option - and seeing if it will work for me. I've found a BT keyboard that can be rolled up - to use with it.

Anyother thing that I'm wondering about - I have been on vodafone pasg for years. It's been fine up until recently - as I really didn't use it that much. However, using it a good bit more - and checked their site. It appears they have a second pasg package - that included 250mb/month internet access. Is this going to be enough to check mails for a couple of hours each evening?

Furthermore, I want to do this through a proxy service. Is this possible? Will it cause any issues? According to my phone, I have full 3G (ie. all bars showing on the phone - despite others having difficulties ....deep within a large building).

• Advertisement

You could get a bluetooth keyboard, once you wouldn't minding having it with you.
    Just reviewing old posts and thought I would give my feedback on this. I bought a bluetooth keyboard - but for the life of me - i could not get it to connect to the smartphone I bought.

Then bought the Toshiba TG01 - the only smartphone that was on the market at the time (and possibly still is?) that could support a usb keyboard. It devours battery power - but for my particular application - i.e. using it at work but keeping my private mail on it - it works (as I can keep the phone charged up via a usb to micro usb cable ...hooked in to my workstation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

This is probably far too late now but did you ever consider a Peek?

http://www.getpeek.com
    Then bought the Toshiba TG01 - the only smartphone that was on the market at the time (and possibly still is?) that could support a usb keyboard.

Most, if not all Symbian^3 devices have USB OTG which means you get USB wired keyboard and mouse support - not simultaneously, just one or the other.

Most, if not all Symbian^3 devices have USB OTG which means you get USB wired keyboard and mouse support - not simultaneously, just one or the other.
    Yes, I remember now that Symbian offered that option. However, as it looked like Symbian was on the way out, I decided not to go down that road.
    This is probably far too late now but did you ever consider a Peek?
    http://www.getpeek.com
    Had never heard of it until now. It runs symbian and supports USB OTG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Had never heard of it until now. It runs symbian and supports USB OTG?

Sorry, my mistake. It runs some proprietary OS but it does email only through GPRS as I recall. No USB keyboard support, which doesn't quite match your criteria I'm afraid. It really only sprang to mind as it's the only email-only device I've ever heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    After the fact now - as upgraded a good few months back. Nevertheless, it's always interesting to see the options. I prefer to have access to a full sized keyboard. I know this sounds a bit daft - given that it's a mobile - but it's just that the way I use the phone allows me to do that i.e. it's normally when I have access to a full sized keyboard that I need to send mails on the phone.

My big clunky fingers have bother with smaller form factor keyboards - and touchscreen...although I do use touchscreen when I have to. I guess I would get used to using the nokia keyboard - and that in the end, it would be better than touchscreen...

Advertisement