Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suede to play three dates in the Olympia.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Coming up.
    First Suede gig this evening. Playing the Suede album in full as well as a few B-Sides. They played their three albums over three nights last week in London. Here's the three setlists. For all the ninnys out there DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE PLAYING!

suede: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/suede/2011/o2-academy-brixton-london-england-4bd3db0e.html

dog man star: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/suede/2011/o2-academy-brixton-london-england-3d3d5f7.html

Coming Up: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/suede/2011/o2-academy-brixton-london-england-73d3d6bd.html

Can't wait for tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Am I the only one not at the gig, but giving the album an aul' whirl all the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I voted "Coming Up" purely for the sake of "By The Sea." Possibly the most sumptuous song ever recorded! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geno

Can anyone tell me what time Suede came on stage last night? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 neilo2009

They came on at around 9.15. Great performance from the band, think Brett was a bit unhappy with the lack of people in the top circle, he was pointing at it to someone off stage before they walked onstge. We were seated in the mid circle and that was about 2/3 full by the end. Wish they'd played High Rising though....

Setlist:

So Young
    Animal Nitrate
    She's Not Dead
    Moving
    Pantomime Horse
    The Drowners
    Sleeping Pills
    Breakdown
    Metal Mickey
    Animal Lover
    The Next Life

Encore:
    My Insatiable One
    To the Birds
    Trash
    Beautiful Ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geno

Thanks Neilo

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Any support band ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

BananaR wrote: »
    Any support band ?

http://www.myspace.com/officialsweetjane

Looking forward to this tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kc66 wrote: »
    http://www.myspace.com/officialsweetjane

Looking forward to this tonight.

Sweet Jane?

Skip the support band so people. Bland-o-rama!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Going tonight, can't wait!

What were they like last night and the setlist anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Coming up.
    Absolutely fantastic, brett's voice was very strong and clear and he was giving it socks, great showman. Crowd was muted by you could tell that everyone was really enjoying it. Best gig ive been to in a while. Set list was same as what someone has previous posted from setlist.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Great gig. Powerful voice. I don't know why Suede aren't more popular. A lot of empty seats in the circle. I thought Neil Codling was going to fall asleep mid-song a few times though.

Coming up.
    Magical gig last night. Definitely not a band going through the motions. Bretts voice in great shape, Richard throwing plenty of shapes. Asphalt World solo was perfection. Neil as has been mentioned was stauesque.

Setlist slightly different to London. Think the encore went:

Whipsnade
    Killing of a Flash Boy
    So Young
    Metal Micky
    Animal Nitrate

May be missing a song there though.

kc66 wrote: »
    Great gig. Powerful voice. I don't know why Suede aren't more popular. A lot of empty seats in the circle. I thought Neil Codling was going to fall asleep mid-song a few times though.

This might explain the above taken from Wiki: His last appearance with Suede was in the Iceland Airwaves Festival on 21 October 2000. On 23 March 2001, it was announced that Codling had quit Suede, due to his Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Coming up.
    The circle was only 20% full at best last night.
    Downstairs was fairly rammed.

I have to say I preferred Tuesdays gig than last nights.

Highlights of Tuesday - To the Birds
    Highlight of Wednesday - We Are the Pigs

Brett is still rocking.

Still debating on doing the hattrick tonight for Coming Up...

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Zamboni wrote: »
    The circle was only 20% full at best last night.
    Downstairs was fairly rammed.

I have to say I preferred Tuesdays gig than last nights.

Highlights of Tuesday - To the Birds
    Highlight of Wednesday - We Are the Pigs

Brett is still rocking.

Still debating on doing the hattrick tonight for Coming Up...

I would, be a shame to miss the final night (although you might have heard most of the songs by now ;)). I'm only going to tonights gig but well looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

What a gig, to be honest i felt i was at the Beatles in the sence the first 3 songs felt like they played the chorus only and then it was over, 'I wanna hold hold handdddd...ticket to ridddeee you get the picture, Trash,Flimstar and Lazy felt like 1minute hits :)
    Brett is drinking George Harrisons beer (anybody who watches True Blood i.e. Bill Compton) will know what i mean.
    loved the show :D

Great gig last night! Although, it flew by! I think they were only on for just over an hour! They sounded great though! They left one song out of the encore from what I could see what was printed on the set-list - "Stay together".

Highlights were all the hits from "Coming Up". Then "So young", "New Generation", and "animal nitrate" for the encore. Oh and "Europe is our playground". We were standing in front on the mixing desk and there was some bass that was coming from the stage/speakers for that song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Dogman Star
    So did they play Stay Together on any of the three nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

great gig last night, the olympia was heaving!

• Advertisement

Coming up.
    So did they play Stay Together on any of the three nights?

Nope. Unfortunately not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

I really thought there would be more people at last nights 'Coming Up' gig, have never seen the olympia that empty barely anyone up in the 2 circles & ground floor wasn't even full... I really hope they play here again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

One of the best gigs I've been to recently. I couldn't get over th e quality of Bretts voice. There's so much I'd love to say about the gig, maybe I'll do my first ever review of a gig about it and post it somewhere. I'm not much of a journalist, it'll just be me fawning for a thousand words...so maybe its not a good idea.

I couldn't believe when I found out recently they were gigging again, I feel very lucky to have caught them. They have real SONGS if you know what I mean.

Brett is too cool for school really, not a word to the crowd all night, we might have minded if it was someone else but what a performance.

The musicianship was almost perfection itself - why are so many guitarists today afraid to play their instruments? I know very few people really want Slash/Hammet/Vai/Clapton solos anymore (incl me) and Bernard and Richard's guitar work was admittedly quite glam but yet, for me at least, it stands the right side of being overly bombastic/egotistical while being absolutely electrifying.

On the subject of Neil - I must say I was troubled by his appearance. He looked wheeled out of a nursing home...not to denigrate or joke about the guy at all, cuz his playing was brilliant. I could be wrong, maybe someone who knows more about him can shed some light on it but the guy didn't look well, he looked overly tranqualised. which is a shame if that's the case. he's always been detached seemingly but christ...I dunno, I'm probably making too much of it.

That gig will stay with me for a while. The vocal performance on Saturday Night particularly, the 'straight-into-it' explosion of Trash and the mayhem when Animal Nitrate kicked in.

Marvellous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Luke G wrote: »
    I really thought there would be more people at last nights 'Coming Up' gig, have never seen the olympia that empty barely anyone up in the 2 circles & ground floor wasn't even full... I really hope they play here again...

Lifelong Suede fan here; didnt go. These promoters need to learn that the days of the 50 quid concert ticket are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

CiaranC wrote: »
    Lifelong Suede fan here; didnt go. These promoters need to learn that the days of the 50 quid concert ticket are over.

Some gigs are worth the premium. Worth every penny in my case.

The acts themselves are responsible for the high ticket prices a lot of the time. apparently we're still seen as a bit of a soft touch over here.

but anyways...i dont think the empty seats were because of the price. if you were to be cynical, its because basically they're a 'has been' band. still brilliant but not current enough and probably never had a massive following here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Snibbles

Have nothing new to add to the debate on ticket prices, but here just to rave about how great they were on Thursday night. Had an ear to ear grin from the opening cords of trash to the close of Animal Nitrate. Fantastic gig :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Snibbles

There's so much I'd love to say about the gig, maybe I'll do my first ever review of a gig about it and post it somewhere. I'm not much of a journalist, it'll just be me fawning for a thousand words...so maybe its not a good idea.

Go for it denalihighway

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Coming up.
    Snibbles wrote: »
    Go for it denalihighway

Indeed,please do,couldnt afford it myself,would have loved to have seen the "Dog Man Star" night,its killing me that i didnt go butit was out of my hands really(im from Cork so would have travelling expenses and all that too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Does anyone reckon we'll see them play here again in the not too distant future???

I know Brett is gonna be concentrating on more solo stuff But hopefully the others will be wanting to gig again after this tour, 8 years was a long long wait....Hopefully won't be as long next time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Coming up.
    Brett did a short interview with Jools Holland a few weeks back,he said theyll be working on new material......but,they wont be releasing it unless theyre 100% happy with it and they feel its up there with their best...

So....thats a maybe theyll be back,tbh i dont think they were ever the same after Bernard left(was fired,whatever!)"Coming Up" had some good tunes but still nowhere near the first two for me,and the later albums?......less said the better

Im hoping to get the reissue of "Suede" in the post today actually(have "DMS" ordered too but its not out till next week)the extras on the reissues look fantastic and like a lot of thought and effort has gone into it,certainly a lot better than 99% of re-releases out there

Advertisement