Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

humanji wrote: »
    I kind of touched on this above where I said it suits this game that zombies are always the same threat. It's not like the zombies are a huge problem on their own, it's more like when they're in groups.
    Well that's the way zombies work if they didn't like it they should have picked something else.

If you could just run into a swarm of them, swing a few times and they'd all be dead (again) then it'd really kill the sense of danger. The levelling system in this is more so a guage of when you're ready to get another skill point, than a guage of how powerful you are.
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see but I don't like the idea of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've seen some pretty hilarious comments in code before but this is on another level entirely...

Dead Island developer Techland "disturbed" by Feminist Whore skill .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

gizmo wrote: »
    I've seen some pretty hilarious comments in code before but this is on another level entirely...

That's a very big "meh, big deal" from me on that issue..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

God damn feminists will be all over this.

Whores :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mountains outta molehills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

On G2Play there are 2 prices

€19.99 - Dead Island RU/Multilanguage Steam Key VPN Activated
    €39.99 - Dead Island Steam key pre-order

Does anyone know why such a huge price difference, and what they mean by VPN activated ? Am I to connect to some russian private network to activate this ?.. €20 is a big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

SeantheMan wrote: »

Does anyone know why such a huge price difference, and what they mean by VPN activated ? Am I to connect to some russian private network to activate this ?.. €20 is a big difference

I saw that for Deus Ex as well, cheap version but VPN or more expensive version without.

Yeah, pretty much. Steam say that they will ban accounts that they find doing this though, so it might not be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is it possible to buy a game from G2Play and then just activate it through Steam normally on the actual release date? You know, as you do when you buy a physical copy of a game that uses Steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I never understood steams pricing, I can buy games in brick and motor shops out in in the west of Ireland cheaper than anything I've seen on steam. It's why I'd never really consider buying anything off them, that and the fact their customer support was completely useless the last time I tried contacting them, as far as I'm concerned they still owe me a copy of Half Life 2 but they seem to have no intention of ever replying to any emails I've sent them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Is it possible to buy a game from G2Play and then just activate it through Steam normally on the actual release date? You know, as you do when you buy a physical copy of a game that uses Steam.

They just send you the key and you register it with steam... they just don't rip you off like steam do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »

i honestly loled at this, when i read what skill did!

atleast they have a sense of humor. i hope they wount get in too much of trouble, because of this :D

Yeah, you can do that. They'll also often send the key earlier then release, and you can pre-load it on Steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

i honestly loled at this, when i read what skill did!

atleast they have a sense of humor. i hope they wount get in too much of trouble, because of this :D

What kind of trouble could they possibly get into because of this? A boycott from every feminist? Oh no... the humanity, the losses in profit will be massive! Feminists can't do anything about this except complain (as usual) and if there's any cool feminists (i haven't met a single one) they should laugh at it like the rest of us non butthurt decent human beings. Fallout should have had a feminist whore perk. That would be so cool :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's a Steamworks game IIRC so even retail copies will register through Steam

I think it'll be less than €40 in shops tomorrow anyway so I wouldn't get it at that price from G2Play

VPN activated presumably means you're going to have to set up a VPN/proxy to be able to activate it on Steam since it's a copy that isn't meant for this region, which is kinda iffy anyway. Probably nothing would ever happen to your account tho, but it's still a bit dodgy

If you want to buy a key online, and don't want to use Steam, you could look at Green man gaming, and use this code: READY-UPDEA-ISLAN (20% off) - if they have keys

This is my plan: http://www.gamestop.ie/40216_PC_Dead_Island.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think I'll wait anyways to see how many of my Steam friends get it, as I'd only wanna play if for the 4 player Co-Op, and not really with pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Fallout should have had a feminist whore perk. That would be so cool :P

Actually there was a bit of scandal over some of the supermutants in fallout3 or new vegas being female and looking male. I may actually have read about it on here somewere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I think they came close to adding the child killer perk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I really like it, only starting out (just got the key card for the lifeguard) but so far its capturing the genre really perfectly. Bad acting, idiot characters and attacking the zombies is perfect. Knock them down then as they struggle to get up pop them on the head with a stick :D

Good video game? maybe not, good zombie game? hell yea :D

Still need to play more than the first 30 mins, but if everyone else hated the start and it grew on them, i think im going to love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

.. but so far its capturing the genre really perfectly. Bad acting, idiot characters and attacking the zombies is perfect.

Exactly! I'm hearing off a few people now thats its a great laugh to play, ya it has faults but its still zombie head bashing fun.

I think i'm just gonna go get it once I've finished Deus Ex and Driver.

• Advertisement

Anyone advice on what skills are good/bad.

Just started, i'm that chinese chick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Krieg wrote: »
    I think they came close to adding the child killer perk

the original fallout had little evil pickpocketing kids in it, as i recall there was a patch/mod that allowed you to kill them and if i recall.. kinda fuzzy, but if you did kill a kid you were stigmatized instantly as a kidkiller - in the same kind of way that being a slaver gave you a tattoo on your forehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Humm yeah iv played about an hour so far and im not loving it, but i'll keep at it and hope it gets better / I can accept it's faults :p

Anyone fancy organising some coop tomorrow evening? (360)

If anyone wants to change the FOV, on the PC

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2107491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is a nightmare to play on pc, have all the settings on low, running it in 1200 x 720 and the framerate still goes to crap when there's 3 or more zombies on screen (and this is a laptop that can run crysis on high settings)

Ran into bugs as well, I picked up two items from two separate quests, quit the game, came back and it said I didn't have them.

Maybe just under an hour into it and my first impressions are - the fact you seemingly can't die and just respawn somewhat take away from it somewhat. Bioshock also suffered from this. There are far too many needless cutscenes. They should have gone the same route as Gears of War/Bulletstorm, where the action played out during gameplay, instead of leaping away into a cutscene every few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't know what all the negative comments were all about, playing the PS3 version which was patched straight away. It's really engrossing so far, not seen any bugs either. It's a GOOD video game, believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Maybe just under an hour into it and my first impressions are - the fact you seemingly can't die and just respawn somewhat take away from it somewhat. Bioshock also suffered from this. There are far too many needless cutscenes. They should have gone the same route as Gears of War/Bulletstorm, where the action played out during gameplay, instead of leaping away into a cutscene every few minutes.

You lose money each time you die, and each time you die to lose more, doesnt seem like a big penelty but you will wish you had all the money you lost later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Spunge wrote: »
    If anyone wants to change the FOV, on the PC

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2107491

To anyone who doesnt understand how to do what that thread says I made a fix that doesnt require taking apart the .pak file.

http://slynch.ie/?p=51

or if you want a direct link

http://www.mediafire.com/?2e87o999jh7bq6w

To use extract too; Steam\steamapps\common\Dead Island\DI
    And over write data0.pak

Advertisement