Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Going to pick this one up today. Anyone know the gamestop instore price for PC? 28.97 online, hoping it will be 30-35 instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

blaa85 wrote: »
    Going to pick this one up today. Anyone know the gamestop instore price for PC? 28.97 online, hoping it will be 30-35 instore.

I've heard it's €40 instore, but don't quote me on that.

Cheers, can't wait to get into this, I just need to trade in a few games for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I am mad to get this, don't care about the glitches or anything, I just need to play it. I called HMV and they said it is 45 euro (ps3) or 10 euro if i trade in deus ex or dead island. Def not getting rid of deus ex (until I clear it anyway) so will trade in driver. I wanted to play driver another few days but hmv only have 1 copy of dead island left so reserved it and geting it today.

I was really enjoying driver an all but been waiting too long for dead island, hope i'm not disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Can't wait to get this game!:D hope its not like Borderlands though..dont like Borderlands..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Really loving this game so far! No repetitive quests and they are really fun, but challenging to do. Just starting the city now and it was rediculously hard! If any of yous got extra rag and on PS3 i want a trade. PSN: Naughtix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Anyone playing this in single player? My coop buddy kinda bailed on buying this and its left me thinking is single player worth the buy?

Just added you there man. I'm gonna level up a bit before going online tho. My biggest worry is online tho. I loved Borderlands but never went online once even tho heard its brilliant. I just don't want to go do a load of missions and then have to go back and do the same ones on my single player run through.

Wow, just had a look back at this thread and saw it for sale at g2play for 19.99. Using russian vpn for a few mins to install. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I can't believe my brother traded in RDR, Fallout: NV and Assassin's Creed II for this.
    Threw it on there for an hour this morning, I thought the right stick controls were clunky, graphically adequate (which isn't a compliment), characters were dull and I've already completed L4D thanks.
    What a waste.

EDIT: And the weapons break too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Got it as well, loving it, Bloody nips, the controls are clunky as well but you get used to them, it's incomparable to L4d though, I love L4d but it's a dif game completely. The weapons can be fixed easily and you can carry loads (12 with no upgrades I think, I carry 18). Use kicks ALOT as well. Graphics are very average, which is fine imo, So long as they're passable then any more is a bonus imo.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just added you there man. I'm gonna level up a bit before going online tho. My biggest worry is online tho. I loved Borderlands but never went online once even tho heard its brilliant. I just don't want to go do a load of missions and then have to go back and do the same ones on my single player run through.
    360 or PS3?? Still looking for some coop bud on 360 :(

PS3 i'm afraid. Only played the start of it, just woke up in the hut. Love it so far. I really like the clunky movements, makes it feel like you are connected to the world. Brilliant as well when you first come out of your hotel room, you can go into the one in the
    original trailer and see the parents. Really wish the broken window was there tho.

1st zombies I came across, I ran the wrong way and they were all over me. I was swinging fists but the killed me in no time. Love the atmosphere and the world. Can't wait to get stuck in more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Also loving this but terrified about quitting. Is there any definitive way of making sure it has saved properly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've had no problems when quitting, but I only quit right after finishing a mission, so I guess it autosaves there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

blaa85 wrote: »
    Wow, just had a look back at this thread and saw it for sale at g2play for 19.99. Using russian vpn for a few mins to install. Delighted!

there was a post earlier in the thread that this could lead to your steam account being banned.

I personally can't afford that to happen for the sake of 20 euro, so will prob get the 39.99 version

Also loving this but terrified about quitting. Is there any definitive way of making sure it has saved properly?

I just quit out when the red checkpoint icon comes up in the bottom left hand corner.

Really enjoying the game so far.

Played a bit of co-op with my mate the other night and it was great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I think using fast travel results in an autosave

SeantheMan wrote: »
    there was a post earlier in the thread that this could lead to your steam account being banned.

I personally can't afford that to happen for the sake of 20 euro, so will prob get the 39.99 version

I did it to get deus ex retail early, did a good bit of checking, lot of people do it. It's a legit retail code, ya can buy any brand new game cheaper in the shops than on steam, I'm not pirating it. As a soon-to
    -be ex-TalkTalk employee, and the amount of bloody top games coming in the next few months, I'll be buying them as cheap as possible!

I've been playing Dead Island the last few hours now anyway, it's some laugh. Using cleavers is fairly vicious!

In regards to the save glitch, I found this on gamefaqs
    What is the Auto-Save Glitch?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Auto-Save glitch is a bug which affects players who play online. After a random amount of time your game will stop saving its progress and your PS3 Trophies will no longer be obtained. All progress made after receiving this glitch is erased once you quit to the PS3's XMB screen. Your save in the PS3 "Saved Data Folder" will also confirm this. Your Level, Chapter, and Play Time listed will not be what it was before you quit the game.

How do I get this glitch?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Auto-Save Glitch only occurs if you play the game online. It appears to be directly connected to the game asking if you want to 'join' another players game. Dead Island pegs you as an 'Online Player' even if your current settings are set to <Single Player> as you still continue to receive these 'joining' messages. The following are the various online connection settings and whether or not they receive the Auto-Save Glitch:

Game Type <Single Player>
    PSN: Online
    Auto-Save Bug: YES
    Comment: Your game keeps connecting to other players online forcing the glitch.

Game Type <Single Player>
    PSN: Offline
    Auto-Save Bug: NO
    Comment: Sign out from the Playstation Network or remove your internet cable.

Game Type <Cooperative>
    Game Visibility <Playstation Network>
    Auto-Save Bug: YES
    Comment: You run the risk of glitchdom. Sleep with one eye open and be very afraid.

Game Type <Cooperative>
    Game Visibility <LAN>
    PSN: Online
    Auto-Save Bug: NO
    Comment: A LAN match prevents you from connecting to other players while also allowing you to remain signed in to the Playstation Network.

How do I know if my current game is fine?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Whenever the game auto-saves you'll see small text on the left side of the screen saying "Game Saved." At the exact same time a red bio-hazard symbol will appear at the top right of your screen showing that the game is indeed saving. This bio-hazard symbol also appears during "Check Points", when you start missions, when you complete missions, quitting to the main title screen, and even during random intervals. This bio-hazard symbol indicates that your PS3 is currently updating your saved game data on your PS3. Every time the game saves its progress this bio-hazard symbol will appear. This is what you want to see at all times.

2. Whenever you fulfill the requirements to unlock a trophy you'll see small text on the left side of the screen saying "Trophy Obtained: [name of trophy]." At the same time you'll see the same trophy 'ping' on the top right of the screen. This lets you know the trophy has been unlocked and is saved on your PS3 system. This is what you want to see at all times.

3. Whenever you search for a coop game using [<Cooperative> <Playstation Network>] settings you'll be given a list of rooms to pick and choose from. This is how the coop runs under normal circumstances. You have not been affected by the glitch.

The Three Tell-tale Signs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. When you see the "Game Saved" message you will no longer see the red bio-hazard symbol on the top right indicating the PS3 is trying to save. In fact, once you are struck by this glitch you will never see the bio-hazard symbol again. The game is no longer saving progress and never will from this point forward.

2. When you complete a trophies requirement your trophy will not unlock or 'ping' at the top right. It will not be saved to your PS3. You have been struck by the glitch.

3. When you search for a coop game under [<Cooperative> <Playstation Network>] settings there will be 0 rooms to choose from. You are not too high a level nor are you in an underpopulated part of the map. You have been struck by the glitch.

All three of these things happen the moment your game is glitched. "Auto-save" glitch isn't really an accurate term because it encompasses far more then that. Immediately quit to the XMB menu the moment you experience any one of these problems as nothing you do from this point on will be saved. Keeping an eye on these three things will help you prevent a massive loss in progress.

How can you fix your save once you've been affected?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sadly, your progress has been forever lost and cannot be recovered. Furthermore when your game is glitched that character will NEVER be able to save their game again even if you turn off your PS3. However, you can fix this by setting your options to <Single Player> [PSN: Offline] and your game will continue to save properly again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Old McGroin

In regards to the save glitch, I found this on gamefaqs

Christ, hopefully (another) patch is in the pipeline! Thought I was going mad earlier when I saw missions reappear in my mission list today!

I'm also having problems even connecting for a co-op match, lastnight the Game Lobby list was filling but the names were greyed out, today the same thing but now I can't even select the Game Lobby anymore!

I'm enjoying the game but I've definitely never played a console game that was so buggy in my life! Get it sorted Techland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got this today, been playing it all day! And im only 15% true, loving it so far :)
    Before going into a friends game ive found myself always trying to make sure its saved but never figured out a way since its autosave, one of the lads told me tonight if you go into options then to controls and change your fight type to analog it will save and then just change it back and it will save again, handy thing :)

Maybe a silly question but i'm at the part where a woman is stuck in the bungalow and you have to reverse the car out. I get into the car but can't move it. I completed lazurus rising. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Figured it out, woops. I had pressed every button except R2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Not sounding silly, but are you in the correct seat ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so............is it worth the 50 odd euro or should I wait for it to come down in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

cant wait to get this, just worried about the saving.. is there a good few trophies?

Sephiroth, yes it is! I'm loving it. Every zombie fight has me holding my breath til they're dead and shocks the life outta me when they jump out at ya. I'm a huge zombie fan and I loved fallout 3 and borderlands so this is right up my street. Some great trophies in it like Right 4 Life (hehe) and 'how many days is that?' - play dead island 28 days after playing it for the 1st time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sephiroth, yes it is! I'm loving it. Every zombie fight has me holding my breath til they're dead and shocks the life outta me when they jump out at ya. I'm a huge zombie fan and I loved fallout 3 and borderlands so this is right up my street. Some great trophies in it like Right 4 Life (hehe) and 'how many days is that?' - play dead island 28 days after playing it for the 1st time!

are you playing it on the ps3?is it stable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

are you playing it on the ps3?is it stable?

From what I have seen after a whole weekend (on xbox) stability isn't an issue at all on the consoles, apart from that nice weapon duplication glitch (thanks Raze) :D

Have had none if any glitches or game / quest breaking things at all, ...... touches wood :p

• Advertisement

Ya, I've had no issues at all. Oh at the start in the hotel corridor, the music cut out for one second then came back. Happened again shortly after but hasn't happened since. As soon as i installed the game it installed the patch that fixes a lot of its bugs.

Advertisement