Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The penalty for death is really annoying, so annoying in fact that I feel justified in glitching weapons for cash now. I'm losing money hand over fist at nearly 3000 a death and some times in a tight spot I could die 3 or 4 times in a mater of 2 minutes :(

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm confused - is this game worth buying or not? I've never seen so many mixed responses / reviews in my life!

Also, has anyone who got it and downloaded the update noticed any improvement?

I believe it has got some mixed reviews but I honestly can't understand why. I don't even mind respawning zombies because killing them is so much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For PS3 users still having an issue with saving, a messaged from the devs
    As the team is still working on fixing the Savegame-Issues some PS3 Users are experiencing, we would like to offer these players a workaround solution in the meantime.
    Before starting the game, please make sure to disconnect from PSN. This should resolve the issue. If playing Co-Op online, the games savegame function should work fine.
    Please be aware there is no guarantuee this will work for everyone.
    Many thanks for your understanding.

As for people complaining about respawning zombies, thats just crazy! How boring would it be travelling around if you knew there were no zombies gonna be there, plus they help you level up :confused:

sheehy83 wrote: »
    For PS3 users still having an issue with saving, a messaged from the devs

As for people complaining about respawning zombies, thats just crazy! How boring would it be travelling around if you knew there were no zombies gonna be there, plus they help you level up :confused:

Damn right and some help more than others, especially with Purna's XP skill maxed out. I got 8000xp from killing a single Ram yesterday :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its a good game (PC).

I've yet to see a problematic bug. Worst thing I saw was throwing a sickle at a Thug, which stuck in him. Thug then killed me. I respawned and ran back, the Thug has "reset" to its original location. The sickle that had been stuck into him was left behind "stuck" in thin air. A bug, but I just picked the sickle up and moved on. Thats the only real bug I've seen. By comparison, Deus Ex HR has crashed back to desktop for me about a dozen times. Nothing like that here. Yet anyhow.

Other than bugs - some design choices are just weird. In multiplayer, voice coms are always active and cant be set to push to talk, and the in game VOIP cannot be disabled (if youre using Vent). This isnt strictly speaking a bug, its just a dumb lack of basic VOIP functionality. Id have to guess a patch must allow for this basic function to be possible.

Some of the story elements are...odd (less than 24 hours into the infestation the survivors are already organised into factions, Lord of the Flies style...). Some of the missions are...odd (How much water can that bitch drink? And still whine about being dehydrated!).

But the core mechanic of beating zombies right back down is present and correct. Absolute sheer mayhem is possible and its all good fun. I got a massive rush early in the game when I was rushed by one of the Infected and decapitated it with a single blow from a cleaver as it charged at me. Great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sand wrote: »
    Some of the story elements are...odd (less than 24 hours into the infestation the survivors are already organised into factions, Lord of the Flies style...).

You've obviously never been on the Zombie Survival forum :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Just killed
    Afra
    and the game didn't save. -_- :( bastard is really feckin' bitch to kill. :(

Found another workaround to save the game manually. \:D/

1. Go into Options during gameplay.
    2. Go to the CONTROL section.
    3. At the bottom of this section, you should see Fight Type. Switch it to Analog and then back out to the Pause Menu.

- You should see a Bio-hazard icon in the upper right of your screen, indicating a save. If you do no see this icon in game when it says, "Game Saved" then it did not truly save.

4. Go back into Options and switch the Fight Type go back to Digital.

- Back out to the Pause Menu again and wait for the Bio-hazard icon to stop flashing before quitting.

Your game should be saved and the Fight Type back to the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

calex71 wrote: »
    The penalty for death is really annoying, so annoying in fact that I feel justified in glitching weapons for cash now. I'm losing money hand over fist at nearly 3000 a death and some times in a tight spot I could die 3 or 4 times in a mater of 2 minutes :(

I find it hard enough to die, I think I have died twice from zombies...and a couple other stupid stuff like falling off things or drowning. Other than that I havnt had any problems with any amount of zombies, one thing that does get me though is when yo are concentrated on a charger and an infected comes out of the blue and corners you all while the charger is kicking your head in :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some of the reviews of this game are so negative as to be suspicious. One review gave it a 3/10 and the review was based entirely around little bugs, with no attention paid to the game whatsoever. I've played the game 5 hours so far and I think it's absolutely awesome, and I haven't encountered any bugs save the odd bit of clipping but nothing even worth mentioning as any kind of glitch, really. In fact, I've seen reviews on one or two sites that moan about these alleged game breaking bugs - which they really aren't, at all - and subsequently award the game terrible scores. Hello, these same sites reviewed games like New Vegas, which were genuinely criminally broken upon release, and said things like 'If you look past the terrible bugs, a great game lies within'.

So I'm extremely baffled as to why now, Dead Island is getting a roasting over various insignificant and in some cases, unnoticed by the general masses, bugs....

Fantastic game, loving it, and can see it consuming as much time as Fallout 3 did. Graphics are decent - on which point I've seen several reviews complain about 'shoddy visuals', don't agree there either. Gameplay is absolutely awesome. There's so much to do and see, and the atmosphere is incredible.

I'm not saying it's a 10/10 (although give it a few more days and I very well might insist it is), but 3/10 is absolutely ludicrous and I'd have serious questions over that reviewer.

• Advertisement

Me and mates were exploring ACT 3 Jungle till' we found
    Jason Voohrees
    :eek: I didn't know he's in this. Very smart move by techland and deep silver for putting him in the game. Anyway he's really a feckin' bitch to kill and he can kill you by one hit. we totally got massacred and lose loads of cash, but we managed to kill him in the end and got a chainsaw from him. \:D/ This is definitely one of my favourite game this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Some of the reviews of this game are so negative as to be suspicious. One review gave it a 3/10 and the review was based entirely around little bugs, with no attention paid to the game whatsoever. I've played the game 5 hours so far and I think it's absolutely awesome, and I haven't encountered any bugs save the odd bit of clipping but nothing even worth mentioning as any kind of glitch, really. In fact, I've seen reviews on one or two sites that moan about these alleged game breaking bugs - which they really aren't, at all - and subsequently award the game terrible scores. Hello, these same sites reviewed games like New Vegas, which were genuinely criminally broken upon release, and said things like 'If you look past the terrible bugs, a great game lies within'.

So I'm extremely baffled as to why now, Dead Island is getting a roasting over various insignificant and in some cases, unnoticed by the general masses, bugs....

Probably just the same people who were going "WWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH teh gaem isnt exactly liek teh CGI trailer from March WWWAAAAHHHHH", just no pleasing some.

I'm in the same boat, encountered 2 bugs (the invisible roof in underground toilets, and the odd item floating 2 or 3 foot from a surface) which didnt destroy the immersion or game as it should have if half the reviews are to be trusted.

Compare that to Deus Ex: HR which has CTD'd randomly around a dozen times in 10 hours, or every time I quit the game. And thats "ZOMG GOTY". Meh, cant really expect reason from an industry which claims 8/10 is mediocre and 6/10 is worse Superman 64.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

Im looking for a few people to play this online with,My Gamertag is MunsterFan,

Il be playing from about 21:00 on,I should be on most nights

Im looking for a few people to play this online with,My Gamertag is MunsterFan,

Il be playing from about 21:00 on,I should be on most nights

How far in to it are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, traded Space Marine in for this, and it completely blew apart my expectations. I was expecting another Dead Rising, hack n slash, finish the game just to finish the game. But the RPG element has won me right over. As someone said above, its what a proper zombie game should be. I've about 5 hours at least played, and im only gone into the hotel to get the truck!

I haven't come across the save bug, but I did have an initial 31mb update straight away, and Ive only been available for local lan.

What I have come across though, is lag, often the game will freeze for a half a second, and when it unfreezes im facing. Different direction. Small complaint, but slightly annoying. Must start taking advantage of that duplicate glitch.

Also, thugs are pissing me off, so im not looking forward to the rams. And dreading the suiciders. Maybe picking the sexy Chinese one wasn't the nest move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Suiciders are easily dealt with by throwing a couple of machetes at them, rams are ok once you have space to dodge them. Thugs, I never got the hang of and took to burning or shooting them once I had a gun.

Suiciders, I just run at them then run away til they explode. Rams are bastards. 2 of them strolled into a pharmacy I was looting, not nice. Always close doors after u!! I find sams rage attack is great against thugs. Avoid his 1st swing and then hit him wit 4-5 punches. Just finished the police station to rescue the girl, missed the shotgun ammo mod. Anyone know where it is in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

order this game on gamestop.ie on thursday afternoon for the ps3 went for the express postage and it still has'nt been delivered.. my order is showing up as processing, feckers have already taken money from my account first and last time i'll order from gamestop..

Suiciders, I just run at them then run away til they explode. Rams are bastards. 2 of them strolled into a pharmacy I was looting, not nice. Always close doors after u!! I find sams rage attack is great against thugs. Avoid his 1st swing and then hit him wit 4-5 punches. Just finished the police station to rescue the girl, missed the shotgun ammo mod. Anyone know where it is in there?

If I recall its in the 1st room you come to early on with the workbench and the switch to open the cell doors. You'll have another quest to go there later anyway.

If I recall its in the 1st room you come to early on with the workbench and the switch to open the cell doors. You'll have another quest to go there later anyway.

Ah I thought I fully searched that room. Ya just got the quest to go back so will look for it again :). I find the cutscenese where it shows the 4 heroes are completely out of place. Pity they didn't create individual ones for each character.

• Advertisement

Ah I thought I fully searched that room. Ya just got the quest to go back so will look for it again :). I find the cutscenese where it shows the 4 heroes are completely out of place. Pity they didn't create individual ones for each character.

Theres another gun mod in city hall after you return to find
    it over run with zombies
    in the middle of the courtyard in a smashed crate and also a mod of some kind (can't recall what it was for) upstairs on the mayors desk.

Not sure if you can get back to town hall without having to negotiate the sewers again ?

You got the molitov one earlier on ? Find that to be very useful and saves loads of time having to back and have them made for you.

You got the molitov one earlier on ? Find that to be very useful and saves loads of time having to back and have them made for you.

Jaysus no, missed that in the hotel and sickened! Hate collecting alcohol and traipsing all over the place to get em made. Next time i'm in the resort, I'm heading into the hotel to pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

to be fair...blueprints for a rag and bottle is a bit retarded!!

Is the blueprint in the hotel underground carpark? Might head straight there after finished moresby city, I think i'm at the end of it anyway -
    I saved the girl from police station, have all the side missions done except for new ones I got after police station. I activated all the speakers.
    One thing tho, I didn't come across a message for help from some guy in a house on stilts? (i'm getting that from people talking about it on this thread.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Also, thugs are pissing me off, so im not looking forward to the rams. And dreading the suiciders. Maybe picking the sexy Chinese one wasn't the nest move...

Suiciders are prob easier than normal zombies, rams are a pain when you're in the middle of taking care of one and get hopped by 1-2 infected spinters. The butchers are a pain now I think, although I do have a sledgehammer which I have that knockback special move that keeps them away, dont advise going at them with a knife though!

Jason Voorhees > ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Anyone else getting the problem on PC where the keyboard stops working in-game? It's seriously annoying because I have to restart the game each time it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No - that keyboard issue has never arisen. Sure its not hardware/loose lead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Game just does not play well on my ps3. It's going tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Sand wrote: »
    No - that keyboard issue has never arisen. Sure its not hardware/loose lead?
    Very sure, it's happened to me and my brother. Plus, I can still alt-tab out and use the keyboard as normal, it just happens in Dead Island.

Advertisement