Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not holding much hope for it. I couldnt get Soldier of Fortune out of my head when I watched a recent gameplay trailer.

And all these icons cluttering the game world. What is the point in creating a fantastic looking environment if you pull the player out of the immersion by having every interactive object flash like a neon sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

You say your a games journalist and the best you can come up with it...
    Helix wrote: »
    ive played it

it plays badly

ergo it is bad

You best be trollin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

You say your a games journalist and the best you can come up with it...

You best be trollin'

my job isnt to write articles for boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

just copy/paste your article on dead island in here then!

Burgo wrote: »
    just copy/paste your article on dead island in here then!

i would if id written one

i dont actually write about every single game i play, and i certainly dont write bad previews for games - i simply dont preview them at all. when i get the final code next week ill post up my review when the embargo has passed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

You're a bum

I've preordered it already - actually the release coincides with the Galway Zombie Walk so I'm contemplating collecting my copy in costume ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Haha fair play man! I'm well looking forward to the Limerick Zombie Walk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Tbh... I'm not basing my purchase off of one person opinion or reviewers lets say, untill i play the game myself. I've done that loads of times and been extremely disappointed with games that the reviewers gave good scores that i thought were ****ty, for instance, i thought Halo and GTA IV sucked, but reviewers gave em' good scores GTA IV got a 10 even.

You're also who bashed F.E.A.R 3 Helix, but i found the game decent and really enjoyable. Still can't wait to get my hands on this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is anyone getting the collectors edition?if so where and how much :)?

• Advertisement

Notorioux wrote:
    You're also who bashed F.E.A.R 3 Helix, but i found the game decent and really enjoyable. Still can't wait to get my hands on this.

Read my fear review again. I didnt bash it as such, just focussed how dull, uninspiring and devoid of atmosphere it was. The very definition of generic fps

You're a bum

As i said, review up when the embargo is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Regardless, abit more insight might have been nice before i consider your opinion absolute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

the game is finished
    Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Helix in April:
    its gonna suck balls

the trailer had absolutely nothing to do with the game

at all

Helix in August
    played it today

i was right 4 months ago

game sucks balls

Luckily for our hero, his experience of the game aligns precisely with his earlier preconceptions. Itd have been pretty embarrassing if he had to actually revise his view of a game in light of having actually played it. Happily everything played out exactly as he believed it would.

One wonders why journalists bother playing games at all before writing their reviews. That said, I dont really bother with games reviews these days - most of them seem to have been written by people who didnt play the same game I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

zombie revival is doing my nut in, esp when an exploit for masking crud ai in games. Will certainly be better than Dead Rising 2 anyhow?! or maybe I'm not a modern capitalist caste yoof obsessed with plundering an entire mall's contents.. something for everyone under one roof? nah. missed the whole kid in a sweetshop effect there but this looks well tasty

ive played it

it plays badly

ergo it is bad

well .. at least the island appears a nice place to visit. better than DR series though right?! and I dedicated some time to that.. Urgh. I want it back :/

Sand wrote: »
    Helix in April:

Helix in August

Luckily for our hero, his experience of the game aligns precisely with his earlier preconceptions. Itd have been pretty embarrassing if he had to actually revise his view of a game in light of having actually played it. Happily everything played out exactly as he believed it would.

One wonders why journalists bother playing games at all before writing their reviews. That said, I dont really bother with games reviews these days - most of them seem to have been written by people who didnt play the same game I did.

ive changed my mind on games plenty of times, and will plenty of times again. nothing at all embarrassing about that

everyone was wetting themselves over a trailer. a trailer that has nothing to do with the game. the game that was made by techland. techland who are piss poor developers.

why are people surprised that it's not very good?

what baffles me is people who will go to such great lengths to defend a game that they have never played on the basis that they like the idea. its a nonsense.

and quite right you shouldnt bother with game reviews. they're the opinion of people who play video games for a living, and most likely havent had the chance to really sit down and enjoy what a game has to offer in its entirety for manys a year, but such is life, and nobody is forcing anyone to take them as being definitive.

scores in reviews are silly. however people who can read between the lines and who actually pay attention to, you know, the words being written, should be able to figure out if they would like the game, regardless of whether the reviewer did or not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I absolutely loved the trailer released a few months back. Was really well made, and had great music. It didn't give me any expectations about the actual game though, as it was a purely cinematic trailer. I'll give the game a go, and judge it for myself once it's released.

I absolutely loved the trailer released a few months back. Was really well made, and had great music. It didn't give me any expectations about the actual game though, as it was a purely cinematic trailer. I'll give the game a go, and judge it for myself once it's released.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The trailer was amazing, but showed no gameplay. I can't think of any game which had an amazing trailer, but showed no gameplay, that ended up being good.

stevenmu wrote: »
    The trailer was amazing, but showed no gameplay. I can't think of any game which had an amazing trailer, but showed no gameplay, that ended up being good.

It occasionally happens. Assassins Creed has had some amazing trailers, that didnt show gameplay. Halo 3 also has some fantastic trailers that barely even had anything to do with the game. Although i suppose some people don't think the game is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Has anyone played Call of Juarez: The Cartel? It is not a good game.
    Why is that important? The developers who made that game, Techland, are also making Dead Island.

I'll still reserve judgement until the games come out but this does not bode well which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This thread has convinced me not to pre order it. Oh well. I was excited about it at first

Has anyone played Call of Juarez: The Cartel? It is not a good game.
    Why is that important? The developers who made that game, Techland, are also making Dead Island.

I'll still reserve judgement until the games come out but this does not bode well which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it.

ah, gotya. well i still played through the two past juarez' but the build is rough; non too smooth at all. never get a sense of that til you get hands-on. a bit like how I was disappointed with the first moments I got to control jensen in DX: HR; felt like duke nukem forever - but obviously everything else sorta saves that one.. I'd just come from platting Dead Space too. and that is a slick build / smooth engine. Bar some stutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I dont trust reviewers, but I allways listen what they have to say. Thanks to helix I bought 3 games which were amazing. He saved me from buying a few too.

I will listen what helix has to say on this one too.

When is it out btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is out here next Friday the 9th of Sept. I really do hope its good about time we had a good Zombie game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

He says it cant do the basics well. Very worrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

according to wikipedia italy ps magazine gave dead island an 8.5/10

• Advertisement

according to wikipedia italy ps magazine gave dead island an 8.5/10

wait til theres a few non exclusive reviews out

Advertisement