Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday evenings pickup game 7pm D4

Options
  • 16-02-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Vinnie has booked another evening in Sportsco in Ringsend .
    Vinnie K wrote: »
    Hall booked now!!

Game this Friday 18th @ 7pm in Sportsco

Everyone welcome!!

vinniekeane@hotmail.com
    As far as I know it is 70EUR for the hour and this is divided between the players that turn up. So if we get a 5 vs 5 it will be 7 euro each.
    The game is very friendly, nobody takes it too seriously, so if you are lacking in either fitness or skill it doesn't matter at all. Ladies are more than welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Good game last night lads, enjoyed it. Usually work Fridays so probably won't make it up too often but will hopefully get up every 5/6 weeks or so. Some good players there & all played in a good competitive spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was good again alright, I wonder would they have let us play on since there was nobody in after?

I'm still learning myself, only started playing since the end of summer 2010 so not fully up on everything. My positioning is kind of all over the place and I'm not fully aware of the rules so if I do anything that's a possible foul, call me up on it, it's the only way I'll know :) Also, what's the story with after somebody scores, are you supposed to check it with a player from the opposite team first or can you just go as soon as you get the ball after the net and do you have to pass first or can you go for a 3 pointer straight away? I'm not too up on all the terminology either.

cormie wrote: »
    Was good again alright, I wonder would they have let us play on since there was nobody in after?

I'm still learning myself, only started playing since the end of summer 2010 so not fully up on everything. My positioning is kind of all over the place and I'm not fully aware of the rules so if I do anything that's a possible foul, call me up on it, it's the only way I'll know :) Also, what's the story with after somebody scores, are you supposed to check it with a player from the opposite team first or can you just go as soon as you get the ball after the net and do you have to pass first or can you go for a 3 pointer straight away? I'm not too up on all the terminology either.

When you're playing half-court you should check the ball with a member of the opposition at the start of a new play. Just makes it fair and realistic - so you're not taking sneaky cheap baskets all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

So whos up for this friday?? Once we can get a minimum of 10 ill go ahead and book it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Definitely count me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

In

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

i'll be there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just saw this now, Can't do this friday but I'd def love to do this from the following friday onwards?

Fitness is abismal but I played and coached for a few years in secondary/college

RedXIV wrote: »

Fitness is abismal but I played and coached for a few years in secondary/college

You'll fit right in! ;)

Can't make it this Friday, lads...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    When you're playing half-court you should check the ball with a member of the opposition at the start of a new play. Just makes it fair and realistic - so you're not taking sneaky cheap baskets all the time.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

With regards Friday; Would like to but can't commit to it as it depends on a few things that are out of my hands, so stick me down as a maybe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

might show a face.. not 100% yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I'm in.

Hey Guys,
    Bookining the hall today, so see you all friday at 7.

Vince

Game on this Friday 25th at 7pm in Sportsco

Think we got 16 people for this game tonight, 3 teams of 5 rotating.
    We stayed on for a second hour with 9 people and my legs are complaining alot this morning!

Was a good game again, hope your finger is ok?

2 hours is great, but €140 is absolute madness, as Vince said, it would have been cheaper for everyone to meet at sportsco and get a mini bus out to Bray. It's annoying because even though it's the most expensive place I know of in Dublin, for what's quite a bad court, it's still worth it for the game, but every other court I've played in will let you play on for free if there's no other game going on after. I've played for over 3 hours before and it's only cost me 2.50 on a beautiful court in Greystones.

Another learning question: When playing zones and I'm in my zone and defending around the 3 point line and there's an opposing player in the zone with me, but they run to another zone (say under the basket for example) should I assume whoever is defending that zone will cover them, or should I follow them, going out of my zone? I'm a bit all over the place at the moment, along with butter fingers and not being able to do much when it's one on one or when I break away with the ball, can't handle the pressure :D:o

cormie wrote: »
    2 hours is great, but €140 is absolute madness, as Vince said, it would have been cheaper for everyone to meet at sportsco and get a mini bus out to Bray. It's annoying because even though it's the most expensive place I know of in Dublin, for what's quite a bad court, it's still worth it for the game, but every other court I've played in will let you play on for free if there's no other game going on after. I've played for over 3 hours before and it's only cost me 2.50 on a beautiful court in Greystones.
    That's the price you pay for for a hall in Dublin 4 I guess. The Location is about the best thing it has going for it.
    Another learning question: When playing zones and I'm in my zone and defending around the 3 point line and there's an opposing player in the zone with me, but they run to another zone (say under the basket for example) should I assume whoever is defending that zone will cover them, or should I follow them, going out of my zone?
    You should stay in your zone and let your teammate pick them up under the basket. The only thing is that if you are now all alone in your zone you should move towards the basket or towards the middle of the area near the free throw line to help cover the opposition players. When an opposition player return to near your original zone area you go back to him.

The problem with zone is that if the opposition sends a lot or all of it's players to one side of the basket (overloading) or under the basket it means the zone defence needs to stretch to help cover them.

Cool, thanks for that, will keep it in mind for future :) The terminology is another thing I'll need to learn aswell!

A quick vid about zone D, in work so could only watch the first 30secs of it but should give you an idea.

http://www.articlesbase.com/videos/5min/6185413

Cool, thanks for that, will have a look at more of them later too and hopefully with that and help from my friends I'll keep improving :) If you think I'm bad now, you should have seen me a few months ago when I first started playing :D

• Advertisement

This Friday guys?? If we get the same numbers as the last few weeks ill go ahead and block book it then, let me know if your availible, not sure if i can make it myself this week.

Def up for this this week :)

Will be good to get back into the game :D

I'll have to be a maybe for Friday but I'd say it should be ok, should also be fine for Sunday this week!

I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Vinnie K wrote: »
    This Friday guys?? If we get the same numbers as the last few weeks ill go ahead and block book it then, let me know if your availible, not sure if i can make it myself this week.

Should be there, have gig that evening to go to but should be able to squeeze basketball in first.

EDIT: hurt myself at football last night so I won't be there this week (or Sunday I'd guess). Numbers have been really strong for both games though so can't imagine I'll be missed.

Hey guys,

I havent booked the court yet, theres only 6 confirmed and 2 maybe's so far, i prob wont be able to make it, the last few weeks the numbers have been good so i dont think there will be a shortage of players for it anyway, should i go ahead and book it??

I say book it, if we get low numbers we can think twice next week but we've had 10+ people easy each week so far so should be ok.

Small problem guys, the hall has already been booked for 7-8, but 8-9 is availible, can people make this time??

EDIT: WE'RE IN FOR 7PM NOW!!!!

Yeah I can do that :)

• Advertisement

Forget my last post guys, Sportsco just rang, the guys that had the hall booked for 7 have just cancelled so we're in for 7pm. Sorry for the mess.

Advertisement