Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Council Housing information

• 16-02-2011 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, looking for some advice on council housing.

At the moment myself, my partner and 2 children are renting out a private home in Clonee. I've been a renter about 11 years and my partner 5 years, We were offered by our land lady to buy the house from her whenever we have the funds to do so. Money is tight as i am now out of work and my partner is pregnant with 3rd child, so we are in no position to buy a home and are now barely able to cover rent.
    I was recently told by my sister that if we sign up to be on the council housing list we may be housed within a few years, but we could be housed anywhere in Dublin. I have always wanted to raise my children in a nice area and would be afraid we would end up with a home in some run down bad neighbourhood..... im not a snob haha but i just want the best for my kids and finding any job lately is proving to very difficult.
    So i looked up on the housing website about the council buying private homes. There was not much information up about this but i got the impression that they buy almost any home provided its in Dublin and not some burnt out shack! So it got me thinking that if we signed up for council housing and then had our landlady sell the house to the council then we could maybe have this as our council house!
    It sounds way too good to be true for me and I'd feel like i am cutting in line for all the other people on the housing list! Could i get some advice on this! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I don't think it would be that easy. I would imagine that if the Council purchased the property from your landlady, that they would give it to the next person on the housing list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

I have no idea if you could swing it but if your landlady were to enter into a RAS agreement with the Council and you were to go on the RAS scheme application list and get yourself deemed by the Council to be in need of social housing (the latter first), then maybe they would let you stay in your home under the RAS scheme. As the info says, you are supposed to be on Rent supplement normally for 18+ months before being eligible. As I said, I have no idea if this could be worked and you'd need to make discreet enquiries so that it doesn't backfire.

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/SocialHousingSupport/RentalAccomodationScheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

Hiya,
    the local authorities have information on all their housing etc on their website, however as this is generic info, sometimes its better to call in to the counter. if you explain your specific needs they will be able to advise.
    Most of the authorities are not buying more housing stock at the moment due to funding, and the fact that they already have hundreds of houses from the affordable schemes that they now cant sell. I would really advise a trip in to speak to them, make sure you bring your info with you, ie current household income etc etc. I know you didnt mention it, but you may also be entitled to claim rent allowance, bearing in mind that your landlady would haveto be a registered tax paying landlord etc. You must be accepted on to the housing list before you can apply for RA though.

Advertisement