Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Internships

Options
  • 16-02-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hey guys.

Thinking of heading stateside on a J1 for the summer - primarily california.

I'd rather get an internship/job out there in something relevant to my degree, I'm a Business and Law student. So I want to avoid going out there and just bartending or whatever.

Is it easy to get paid internships out there (I'd imagine not), and whats the best way to go about it? are there any agencies that can provide you with a paid internship out there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

hay man Im hoping to do the same this summer and Im heading out with two mates, From what Ive seen online alot of big companies will take on a few interns and some small companies as well... from what Ive found there are a lot of companies that wont mention intern programs, so I rang and e-mailed a few but Im finding it difficult to get replies back, Ive had a few ask me to e-mail my CV but haven't got a reply since then. Id say it will be tough this summer with the way the economy is (however still better then ours) and with the amount of american students looking for summer internships as well. Be careful with some of the online agencies offering help with placement, I came across one offering help with employment and accommodation for 100 dollars, but the real price was 7000 dollars :mad:

good luck with your internship hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Keep in mind that college in the US finishes around the same time as Ireland so a lot of students try grab internships as soon as they can. A lot of companies wait for this so they don't advertise these jobs until April/May. Try and get in as early as you can for these.

Advertisement