Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting disaster

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I have a question - we are just after moving into our new house.
    Now we waited nearly 2 months for this house as the location etc suited us but after christmas and a burst pipe it needed some repairs.

My problem is this - the OH moved in earlier and paid rent / deposit and was supposed to do a final check on the house. I had to work so couldn't make it. I had been assured that the house would be contract cleaned and the furniture cleaned before we moved in (this was one of the first viewings we had)

Now this is my problem - I arrived in after work and the house has not been cleaned. No attempt has been made at all.

The oven has MOLD in it. The windows don't have curtins/blinds on them! (it was supposed to come fully furnished) One of the rooms that was painted is patchy, there is just dirt everywhere - it will take me 2 days to clean this house. The furniture (sofa) is stained and just horrible (a nice sofa if it was clean)

I rang the agency and left a message saying I wasn't happy and I am taking photos. The owner rang me back (not the person i'm usually dealing with) and started on a rant saying that this is not how I want to start a tenancy agreement complaining! I told him (calmly) that I had been told that the house would be cleaned thoroughly and the furniture would be cleaned which if there is mould in the oven that is not the case.

He started to raise his voice at me and said that they had been under pressure to get the house ready for us today as we had wanted and we couldn't expect everything to be perfect. And why didn't my OH have a problem.

I told him the contract isn't signed yet to which he responded if you don't want to sign it then don't. And that it's important they get good tenants into the house that's their priority so...

Now what i'm wondering is the money has been paid but the contract hasn't been signed. What do ye suggest I do here?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Take back the money and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I'm wondering can I get my money back though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Judging by his manner on the phone, there is no way I would sign that lease. If this is what he is like now? Imagine what he would be like in 6 or 8 months if something goes wrong!!!

that's what im thinking though normally I deal with a nicer girl working there. In fairness I had to tell him to calm down on the phone when all I was asking was why the house wasn't cleaned!

Can I actually get a return of all the money? Am I entitled or will I lose part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I'm not sure if your entitled to the money back just cause you haven't signed the lease yet... maybe contact threshold and ask.

But in the mean time I reckon theres 2 options to give to the agency I presume your dealing with one.

1. You say yes you understand they were in a rush to get the place ready for you and are happy for a contract cleaning company to come in and sort the place while you are there over the next few days. (they can get someone at short notice)

or
    2. you say fair enough we'll take the rent and deposit back and move out straight away.

By the sounds of it there not the friendliest, try to get in contact with the one you've been dealing with previously, stay calm, say as above, and dont get into an argument with them!

• Advertisement

Thanks Doop - the other agent is calling later anyway to pick up the contract (which I havn't signed)

I read the contract and it states that all furnishings, appliances, windows, chimney must be kept in good order and deepcleaned on end of leasing term. Also windows must be cleaned 4 times a year.
    I have no problem with this except that obviously none of this has been done for us!

There is also no name of the landlord on the contract just the agency. I thought there might have been.

Is it normal as well for a contract to state they can terminate the contract within 6 months without or reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

fact is he is being very unreasonable, and he is in the wrong, keep a copy of all the papers you have, take pictures, did you pay in cash or with check ect? did you pay the agency or the owner

know when you speak to the girl in the agency, explain what happened and explain this is totally unexceptable and you want a full refund, and your not signing the contract, they have to refund you

if you have any problems, ring the national consumer rights, they should know or they will atleast point you in the right direction

even if they offer to clean, i would not except, after being spoke to such as you were

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just get the money back and look for somewhere else. And yes,call Threshold immediately as they will deal with this very expertly.

http://www.threshold.ie/

There is no way you need to put up with this kind of ******

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

jen_23 wrote: »

Is it normal as well for a contract to state they can terminate the contract within 6 months without or reason?

As far as I know that 6 month thing applies to Part 4 tenancies and wouldn't apply to a fixed-term lease. Which i assume this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

jen_23 wrote: »

Its known as a 'break clause option' not standard but is included in alot of leases. To be honest I think its a good thing and works in YOUR favour, as you can also get out of the lease after 6 months without any financial penalty. If you are paying your rent etc, they'd have no reason to use it themselves.
    Have a look at the wording and make sure it applys to you too (breaking the lease that is)

Personally i'd always look for one, but often places wont want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Doop wrote: »
    Its known as a 'break clause option' not standard but is included in alot of leases. To be honest I think its a good thing and works in YOUR favour, as you can also get out of the lease after 6 months without any financial penalty. If you are paying your rent etc, they'd have no reason to use it themselves.
    Have a look at the wording and make sure it applys to you too (breaking the lease that is)

Personally i'd always look for one, but often places wont want it.

I stand corrected!
    I've never had a break clause in any lease I've signed. Didn't recognise the wording. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You'd have to be mad to stay there.

Advertisement