Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We would like to get our garden fixed up and we have no idea where to start.

Budget would not be huge, but we can't even decide on that as we have no idea even approx how much we will need to spend.

We're thinking of pulling up all of the grass and having slabs put down. The garden is a sloped one, so I assume there would need to be a step in the middle to even this out. I'd hope to have planters and have a small tree which I'd like to keep and slab around, and maybe some climbing plants on all of the surrounding fences. Does this sound terribly bare, or could it work if done properly? I always like grass in the garden, but with 2 dogs it's just so much work.

When is the best time of year to get work done in the garden. Do we need to worry about frost, it being too wet etc. If we were to leave it to late into spring would we end up not able to plant until next year and so have a bare garden this year?

Finally, we would need a lot of guidance in what to do, how to keep to budget, what would work out cheaper than what etc. Would we end up spending a small fortune if we were to get a crowd who not only do the work, but help with the design and budgeting too?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what is currently there? and what do you use the garden for (apart from dog storage)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Currently we have a wooden decking area just outside the door (death trap!) which spans half the width of the garden, the other half width is patio slabs. In the corner a bin shed.

After that we have a sloped "lawn" with 2 not very well looked after flower beds (held in place with railway sleepers). And at the back a garden shed and a small, but hardy; corkscrew willow.

Would like to keep the bin shed and perhaps move the decking further back from the door. The willow will be gorgeous if I can persuade my dog to stop using it as a chew toy and it gets a chance to grow so I'd like to keep that. Husband will want to keep the (small) garden shed. The spiders need somewhere to live after all. Everything else can be gotten rid of.

Besides dog storage - we use it for bin storage, and it's very handy for tutting at from the patio door. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

So any tips on where to start? I presume measuring it and going to a garden centre. But where do I go to get the work done? Landscapers cost an arm and a leg I assume? Are there places which would work out cheaper to buy the things from than a garden centre, maybe a builders yard or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

Whispered wrote: »
    So any tips on where to start? I presume measuring it and going to a garden centre. But where do I go to get the work done? Landscapers cost an arm and a leg I assume? Are there places which would work out cheaper to buy the things from than a garden centre, maybe a builders yard or something?

would you try to make few pictures of your garden, will be easier to imagine what is there, and give u some advice.
    you need to meassure the area where you wona put slabs, if your lawn is on this same level as a old slabs you have to dig deep enough to put about 10cm of gravel and 5cm sand with cement under new slabs. so you need to hire skip and get rid of some soil.
    around your tree you can put chicken wire, it should keep you dogs away. i think you will get better price for materials in builder yards, but when you will know what exactly you need you can go to few places to compare the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Whispered wrote: »

I would suggest that you get a few landscapers out to look at your site. Be up front that you have a very limited budget and are shopping around for ideas. Tell them what elements you want in the garden and how you intend to use it.
    If they are interested in it they will come out and be able to advise you on the best way to achieve the garden you want. They (if they are any way decent) should be able over a cup of coffee to give you a draft plan and a ballpark guestimate of costs along with a rough timescale. don't expect a fully drawn plan with shrub lists and lighting details, etc.
    Do this for at least three and ask for further clarification from each if something comes up in conversation with one that didn't with the other(s) so you are comparing like with like.

You see moving a deck is not something that you can just pick up and relocate, slabs/patios need to be level (slight fall but not sloped) so excavation may be required to terrace the garden. This soil may have to be removed or (as God isn't making it anymore) reused in another part of the garden.

So many factors to try and discuss or get across via tinternet

• Advertisement
Advertisement