Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Testing

• 16-02-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of any Open Source groups that want people to do any software testing - I'm currently studying a H.Dip in Science in Computing with Software testing as one of the possible career paths (possibly the only one from what I gather); however the chicken and egg scenario presents itself when looking at jobs - can't get one without experience, can't get experience without one....unless you go and get some which brings me back to my initial question.

Thanks in advance for any advice forthcoming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

One of the interesting things* about software testing is the range of skills you need to develop in order to setup the test environment - sometimes you need certain software stacks, virtual machines, client-server setup, etc. Most active projects will be glad of getting an extra set of hands on board.

What I'd suggest you do is consider what kind of software you'd like to test, and go check out the top 3-5 projects in that area, and see if you'd be interested in setting up the required environment and testing.

A search of Sourceforge for "testers needed" brings up a lot of projects that you could check out. Alternatively you could take something with a large active development team, like WordPress, and find out how you can help them test.

* Of course don't forget the downside of testing: boredom and monotony can sometimes occur :)

Advertisement