Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Jack Wilshere Appreciation Thread

• 16-02-2011 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Never before have I taken such pleasure from the performance of an English player over the course of 90 minutes. An absolutely imperious performance, he's fast installing himself as one of Arsenal's most important players. Should now be one of the first names on Capello's team sheet too as there really hasn't been a player like him of English blood in God knows how long. Terrific stuff, well done Jack the lad.

Grab a ticket, queue up and wax lyrical about this boy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

When he's not being a whiny wee runt on Twitter, he's actually a quality player. Fantastic player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

He should definitely be in Capello's team. Best CM in England atm.

Cracking player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great performance, thought he was a bit naive when I saw him playing for England last week but given licence to get forward he looks very tasty indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

That_Guy wrote: »
    When he's not being a whiny wee runt on Twitter, he's actually a quality player. Fantastic player.

One aspect I don't like about him. Him and Piers Morgan on Twitter. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Only England friendlies so far............. any Irish grandparents? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If he could cut out the darker side to his game he'd be imperious.

Instead he's just brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Man of the match for me great performance!

He should be in the england 1st 11 imo!

Le King wrote: »
    One aspect I don't like about him. Him and Piers Morgan on Twitter. :mad:

If he could tweet as well as he could play football... I'd be well jealous. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He's no Josh McEachran. ;)

Johner wrote: »
    He's no Josh McEachran. ;)

To be fair McEachran plays in a different position to Jack AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Was ok tonight, gave away the ball a few times in the first half. Looks excellent for the long term though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

For once an English player who isnt over hyped.:rolleyes: Hes the new Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Great little player, that must have been one of his best performances in an Arsenal shirt. He's lovely to watch on and off the ball.

I have high hopes for a very similiar Chelsea youngster called Josh McEachran. I think when both these lads gain a bit more experience we'll have an English Xavi and Iniesta.

Liverpool can throw in the next John Barnes - Raheem Sterling (he's only 16 though) could be quite a team in 4/5 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool can throw in the next John Barnes - Raheem Sterling (he's only 16 though) could be quite a team in 4/5 years!

didnt he just score 5 goals in a game in the past week or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wilshere, McEachran, Wickham, Sterling, Carroll, Walcott, Gibbs and Rooney... 'Arry will win the World Cup with that lot!!

On topic: Wilshere has settled right into the Arsenal team and looks to have the temperament for big games too. He has the potential to be one of the very best.

MrStuffins, he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Lukker- wrote: »
    Great little player, that must have been one of his best performances in an Arsenal shirt. He's lovely to watch on and off the ball.

I have high hopes for a very similiar Chelsea youngster called Josh McEachran. I think when both these lads gain a bit more experience we'll have an English Xavi and Iniesta.
    One of the best midfield performances iv seen from an Arsenal player in a shirt. Outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

KeithAFC wrote: »
    One of the best midfield performances iv seen from an Arsenal player in a shirt. Outstanding.

Can't remember any Arsenal players playing shirtless!! When did that happen??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dont overhype then do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He's going to be one of the finest English players of his generation some day.

Amazing he's only 19 and put in that performance tonight, it has to give Arsenal fans goosebumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

What a great player tonight man of the match imo even tough hes only 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Headshot wrote: »
    He's going to be one of the finest English players of his generation some day.

Amazing he's only 19 and put in that performance tonight, it has to give Arsenal fans goosebumps

What gives me goosebumps is the fact that he's been at the club since he was 9, seems to genuinely love the club and the fact that we might just hang on to this one for quite some time...

L'prof wrote: »
    What gives me goosebumps is the fact that he's been at the club since he was 9, seems to genuinely love the club and the fact that we might just hang on to this one for quite some time...

He has to have Barca DNA in there I reckon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He was excellent tonight.

What terrifies me though is that I clicked into a thread that is an appreciation of his football ability, and I'm reading posts about how he tweets? :confused:

He is 19, I couldn't give a fiddlers fcuk what he gets up to online. He's a 19 year old lad and a man on the pitch. He is quality. This coming from a Liverpool fan, but I genuinely look forward to watching him play football over the coming decade or so.

Here's hoping he avoids injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Wilshere and Rodwell for England's midfield in a few short years is mighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wilshere is the one player (ok, Fabregas too) I envy Arsenal for.

mars bar wrote: »
    Wilshere is the one player (ok, Fabregas too) I envy Arsenal for.

And van Persie, don't forget him too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

WilshereGunnerblogBody.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Except he's consistently backing up the hype.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Wilshere, McEachran, Wickham, Sterling, Carroll, Walcott, Gibbs and Rooney... 'Arry will win the World Cup with that lot!!

On topic: Wilshere has settled right into the Arsenal team and looks to have the temperament for big games too. He has the potential to be one of the very best.

You could add Welbeck to that list too.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Saying it for a while now. Some player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

L'prof wrote: »
    And van Persie, don't forget him too ;)

If he wasn't injured so often then maybe. But we have Berba, Rooney and Chicharito so I'm happy.

Would love Fabregas, Wilshere or Nasri though. 3 quality players right there.

mars bar wrote: »
    If he wasn't injured so often then maybe. But we have Berba, Rooney and Chicharito so I'm happy.

Would love Fabregas, Wilshere or Nasri though. 3 quality players right there.

You just think you don't want him, it's only a matter of time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Can't believe someone is dragging up a 3 year old thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You could add Welbeck to that list too.;)

Very true, although I hear Gyan and Mensah are trying to convince him to play for Ghana. He won't though, he'll be an England international very soon and would have been called up for the game against Denmark if he hadn't got injured IMO.

Henderson's another one to stick on that list.

• Advertisement

pfft he's no Darron Gibson

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Words cannot describe what I think of this fellow. So I'll not even bother trying to explain it.

Paully D wrote: »
    Very true, although I hear Gyan and Mensah are trying to convince him to play for Ghana. He won't though, he'll be an England international very soon and would have been called up for the game against Denmark if he hadn't got injured IMO.

Henderson's another one to stick on that list.

If Fergie hears of that, he'll be on the next bus to Manchester.:eek:

Just off the top of my head (so I've no doubt forgotten a few) without even really thinking about shape, etc:
    Hart

Walker Dawson Smalling Baines

Walcott Wilshere Henderson/McEachran Adam Johnson

Carroll Rooney

Subs:

Foster/Stockdale
    Cahill
    Milner
    Henderson/McEachran
    Lennon
    Young
    Bent/Welbeck

If Fergie hears of that, he'll be on the next bus to Manchester.:eek:

His middle name is ''Nii Tackie Mensah'' :pac:

Cracking player though, you lot should let us loan him next season too. You know we'll look after him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I've been watching him all season. He oozes with quality. He really does get better and better. The way he shields the ball is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Headshot wrote: »
    pfft he's no Darron Gibson

Exactly, hence the appreciation thread.

@Zonal_Marking
    Zonal Marking
    Wilshere 24 from 24 passes?! Superb. Xavi the leader, of course.

Not surprising really. The stats don't show how he got out of situations where there were 3-4 players around him, and he easily escaped with the ball, and picked the right pass.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Words cannot describe what I think of this fellow. So I'll not even bother trying to explain it.
    lol. :D

The ball he played to Fabregas was pure skill. Can't explain just how much control in tight situations you need to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I thought he was a very good player until tonight

He got the ball alot of times in really tight situations and always turned into space. Think he only gave the ball away once too. Really impressed, he just went from a very good player to exceptional for me

nuxxx wrote: »
    I thought he was a very good player until tonight

I very nearly clicked reply after this line.:P
    He got the ball alot of times in really tight situations and always turned into space. Think he only gave the ball away once too. Really impressed, he just went from a very good player to exceptional for me

0 times going by the stats above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He was excellent tonight but has looked fairly adverage at times this season, o have a feeling he'll be destroyed in the nou camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

And we have to try and fit Ramsey into the midfield next season too.

Maybe we could drop Song and play Ramsey, Wilshere and Fabregas.

The future is Arsenal:D

niallo27 wrote: »
    He was excellent tonight but has looked fairly adverage at times this season, o have a feeling he'll be destroyed in the nou camp
    No he hasn't. Wilshere has probably been in the top 3 best players this season for us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement