Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Jack Wilshere Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

He's just a smashing player. Unbelievably good. There is hardly a team in the world he wouldn't walk into bar maybe Barca and Real. Like all great players he always seems to have time on the ball even when being harried.

Its great that England have finally began to produce intelligent players like the continentals do. Makes a refreshing change to the likes of Gerrard who for all his gifts is just not an intelligent footballer.

I think its also important to remember how much that 6 months at Bolton brought him on. He was taken out of his comfort zone and adapted brilliantly bossing midfield as soon as he came in.

He's a real clutch player judging on his performance tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

And we have to try and fit Ramsey into the midfield next season too.

Maybe we could drop Song and play Ramsey, Wilshere and Fabregas.

The future is Arsenal:D

He'll be gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

even if he does go i dont think it matters alot to arsenal, so many great young players who can step in, gotta respect wenger for that

with that money and the money they have already they could easily replace him aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Looks promising but an appreciation thread is a step too far. Over-hyped by Sky and the British tabloids tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Warper wrote: »
    Looks promising but an appreciation thread is a step too far. Over-hyped by Sky and the British tabloids tbh.

Did you see the match tonight? He was unbelievable, not only was his passing exceptional, his work off the ball was sensational as well, he pressed and won a lot of tackles. He pressed Barca at every oppurtunity and made a lot of good tackles, it was his defensive display that impressed me so much tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Did you see the match tonight? He was unbelievable, not only was his passing exceptional, his work off the ball was sensational as well, he pressed and won a lot of tackles. He pressed Barca at every oppurtunity and made a lot of good tackles, it was his defensive display that impressed me so much tonight.

That's fair enought but can we wait until he does in consistently before we start an apreciation thread, making him out to be world class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's fair enought but can we wait until he does in consistently before we start an apreciation thread, making him out to be world class

Its an appreciation thread ffs , people are just showing their appreciation for a young highly promising talent . Let people make him out to be world class if they want - little do they know he was shown up by the best/most world class midfield in the world tonight , oh wait, no he wasn't.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

He looked great tonight, showed all the attributes to be world class in a few years. Enjoyable to watch when on the ball.

Lets see him put in a round of consistant performances before we go all googoo gaga over him tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Jordonvito wrote: »
    He'll be gone

They don't need him for a couple of years and their finances are bad at the moment and Arsenal's are good so i think he'll stay for a couple more years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That 24 from 24 was only at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yakult wrote: »
    He looked great tonight, showed all the attributes to be world class in a few years. Enjoyable to watch when on the ball.

Lets see him put in a round of consistant performances before we go all googoo gaga over him tho.

He's played 32 times for Arsenal this season and has been fairly consistent throughout, culminating in last nights performance, which is why this thread was made!

Hoki wrote: »
    Its an appreciation thread ffs , people are just showing their appreciation for a young highly promising talent . Let people make him out to be world class if they want - little do they know he was shown up by the best/most world class midfield in the world tonight , oh wait, no he wasn't.....

Lets see how he does in 3 weeks time. This should be in the Arsenal thread anyways otherwise we will have threads opening up every second match just because someone had a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lets see how he does in 3 weeks time. This should be in the Arsenal thread anyways otherwise we will have threads opening up every second match just because someone had a good game.

what's with the bitterness?

Wilshere didn't just have a good game.

1) he's been excellent all season. people who say he hasn't been, frankly haven't watched him all season and are assuming he's been average, or are just being stubborn. last night was merely a catalyst for the praise that is now coming his way.

2) he did it against the best midfield on the planet last night.

3) he's become a regular in the Arsenal team, and is also in the England squad on the back of his performances this year. there is no chance in hell he's only been ordinary.

think about it logically.

and he's 19, showing maturity beyond his years in all fairness. look at Song panicking and trying his best to get sent off last night, then look at Jack.

a frightening prospect, and i'm not just hyping him. he has the potential to be THAT good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Tom_Brady wrote: »

Where are you fnding these stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Fair play to the lad, he played out of his skin last night, such a big occasion where it would have been easy for him to hide on the pitch, but he didn't and was probably the best player out there.

I remember seeing clips of him when he was 15 or 16 with the Arsenal reserves and he was scoring some cracking goals, it was pretty obvious he was going to turn into something special. He has that james McCarthy thing about him where he plays like a much older more experienced player, very rarely makes mistakes. Definatley one that we will be hearing about for a long long time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

From when he was 16;

@ the posters who are saying he needs to put in consistent performances; he's been one of the top 3 performers for Arsenal this season along with Nasri and RVP since he came back. And playing in a team challenging on 4 fronts at this stage of the season doesn't allow for passengers or ordinary or inconsistent players tbqh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

cson wrote: »
    From when he was 16;

@ the posters who are saying he needs to put in consistent performances; he's been one of the top 3 performers for Arsenal this season along with Nasri and RVP since he came back. And playing in a team challenging on 4 fronts at this stage of the season doesn't allow for passengers or ordinary or inconsistent players tbqh.

Thats the one i was thinking of, seen it posted on facebook when it happened and was just like :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Look at the smug look on Wenger's face after Wilshere's goal. He knew he had something special on his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Superb performance from Jack last night. I think his mentality adds another dimension to the team. Unlike other young players who have either developed or come through the ranks with Arsenal over the past few years, Jack looks like a winner. He never gets complacent or gives up, the thought of watching him develop over his career is very exciting indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

The negativity around here at times is ridiculous.He has had a great season so far and has played fantastic for arsenal in all competitions.

Some people havent a clue and just talk s***e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Unreal. I've watched him in a lot of games this season and have always been impressed. Last night he was absolutely immense. <- bold, underlined and in italics just to get across how immense I really think he was :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He's young and English. He'll get more than enough appreciation, not to mention an over inflated price tag, without needing a thread about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Tom_Brady wrote: »

Walcott only completed 9 passes in the entire game in comparison. Different positions and all that but still.

Lemlin wrote: »
    He's young and English. He'll get more than enough appreciation, not to mention an over inflated price tag, without needing a thread about him.

if James McCarthy had performed the way Wilshere has this season, and had just come off a pretty muuch MOTM performance against the best club side in the world, then you can bet your house that there'd be an appreciation thread and not an ounce of begrudgery.

Wilshere deserves all the praise he's getting.

appreciation threads and 'Is He Done?!' threads have been made with a hell of a lot less justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I think as well it goes to show something how it wasn't an Arsenal fan who made this. We well could have made this ten games into the season, but it would have gotten lost in the Gareth Bale , Nani and Carlos Tevez best player in the world appreciation threads.

Jacks been doing that all year.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I think as well it goes to show something how it wasn't an Arsenal fan who made this. We well could have made this ten games into the season, but it would have gotten lost in the Gareth Bale , Nani and Carlos Tevez best player in the world appreciation threads.

Jacks been doing that all year.

There has never been a Carlos Tevez appreciation thread. I opened one last year but it was locked straight away due to the Utd hatred of the best player in the EPL in Tevez. Explanation was it should be part of the Man City super-thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

There has never been a Carlos Tevez appreciation thread. I opened one last year but it was locked straight away due to the Utd hatred of the best player in the EPL in Tevez. Explanation was it should be part of the Man City super-thread.

tantrum-1.jpg

You're far more fun when you're making laughable predictions than when you're moaning mate.

this one?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795931&highlight=carlos+tevez

1) a Liverpool mod locked it.

2) there'd been various threads on Tevez due to the much protracted saga in leaving Utd the previous summer.

3) you didn't post it as any sort of Appreciation Thread either.

4) linked to point 2...Wilshere isn't the blatantly divisive character that can cause the forum to go into meltdown. Tevez certainly was at that point, maybe still is; it wouldn't have been worth the hassle to keep another thread on him open.

now stop being bitter, let's get back on topic.

Jack = potential football genius.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Paully D wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head (so I've no doubt forgotten a few) without even really thinking about shape, etc:
    Hart
    Walker Dawson Smalling Baines
    Walcott Wilshere Henderson/McEachran Adam Johnson
    Carroll Rooney

Subs:

Foster/Stockdale
    Cahill
    Milner
    Henderson/McEachran
    Lennon
    Young
    Bent/Welbeck

Just off the top of my head Martin Kelly at RB
    Albrighton as well in the young English and talented bracket.

Looks like a lot of potential there for me and if I was Capello I would be introducing these to the squad and starting 11 gradually from now as they are the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

VW 1 wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head Martin Kelly at RB
    Albrighton as well in the young English and talented bracket.

Looks like a lot of potential there for me and if I was Capello I would be introducing these to the squad and starting 11 gradually from now as they are the future.

Two excellent shouts.

The thing with Capello is, he knows he's off after Euro 2012 so he's not going to bothered introducing youngsters. The man won't even travel to the north-east to watch football so he's a lost cause at this stage and should have been sacked after the World Cup anyway.

Hopefully Redknapp will start the rebuilding process when he gets the job after Capello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

SlickRic wrote: »
    if James McCarthy had performed the way Wilshere has this season, and had just come off a pretty muuch MOTM performance against the best club side in the world, then you can bet your house that there'd be an appreciation thread and not an ounce of begrudgery.

Wilshere deserves all the praise he's getting.

appreciation threads and 'Is He Done?!' threads have been made with a hell of a lot less justification.

I think you took my point up incorrectly. It was aimed more at the English media than Wilshere. I've no doubt Wilshere is a fantastic talent but I've also no doubt that we'll hear plenty more about him from the media.

If anything, I hope Wenger manages to shield him from them. I noted in a recent BBC article how the reporter noted that he still came across as young and innocent, which isn't surprising given his age. Therefore I hope he doesn't get the same treatment and invasion into his private life as the likes of Beckham or Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think you took my point up incorrectly. It was aimed more at the English media than Wilshere. I've no doubt Wilshere is a fantastic talent but I've also no doubt that we'll hear plenty more about him from the media.

If anything, I hope Wenger manages to shield him from them. I noted in a recent BBC article how the reporter noted that he still came across as young and innocent, which isn't surprising given his age. Therefore I hope he doesn't get the same treatment and invasion into his private life as the likes of Beckham or Rooney.

Becks & Rooney crave the publicity. They sign up as the face of any product which will earn them a few quid and with that comes a high profile and media scrutiny. It's part of the game.

Paul Scholes has shown that it's perfectly possible to be a talented English footballer and live a quiet life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Kudos must go to Bolton Wanderers,he might only have played 14 games or so for them but I think they matured him no end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

this is brilliant:

cesc4official: @jack_wilshere can't believe i had to go to get Messi's shirt for u. U were so scared. You were MOTM so next time please ask urself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

this is brilliant:

cesc4official: @jack_wilshere can't believe i had to go to get Messi's shirt for u. U were so scared. You were MOTM so next time please ask urself!

Posted this in the Arsenal thread, but I guess it's appropriate here too!

57ube.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

this is brilliant:

Class. I really like Jack Wilshere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Interesting stats on the FW podcast on the fawning comparison to Xavi in the game, particularly forward passes, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

dfx- wrote: »
    Interesting stats on the FW podcast on the fawning comparison to Xavi in the game, particularly forward passes, if true.

Tried to create a chalkboard on the Guardian website for this but selecting Champions League matches doesnt seem to be an option, am I doing something wrong or is there an alternative site to do this on!?

Doesn't appear to be possible on the Guardian's site.

I think it was something like 50 passes and 120 for Xavi and 19 forward passes and 80 for Xavi..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I am so fed up of hearing all these passing stats. It means absolutely fúck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He gets opposition jerseys framed and put up in his house too.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=lyntm.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

I've seen an interview with him in his house and he has more, but you can see that one in the photo above.

You forget he's still just a kid at time to be fairness, and he's playing against players he would have grown up idolising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Frisbee wrote: »
    He gets opposition jerseys framed and put up in his house too.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=lyntm.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

I've seen an interview with him in his house and he has more, but you can see that one in the photo above.

You forget he's still just a kid at time to be fairness, and he's playing against players he would have grown up idolising.

De Rossi :confused:

ricero wrote: »
    De Rossi :confused:

watch Serie A over the last 5-7 years, and you'll know why.

but that's for another thread.

RE: Jack and the jerseys...i absolutely love that sort of shít. and Cesc puts it brilliantly in his tweet. if you're man of the match, go get the fúcking jersey yourself! :pac:

i'm sure they'd have known who he was by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I am so fed up of hearing all these passing stats. It means absolutely fúck all.

Of course it does.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Gillington wrote: »
    How so?

For example

Player X could be passing back or side ways, hardly going forward

like a DM for example

Headshot wrote: »
    For example

like a DM for example

I understand that alright but I think one of the marks of a great midfielder/DM is knowing when to keep possession,not letting the other team have the ball,or playing it forward when there is a potential attacking chance.

Roy Keane played more passes sidewards or backwards and he is commonly lauded as one of the worlds greatest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I understand that alright but I think one of the marks of a great midfielder/DM is knowing when to keep possession,not letting the other team have the ball,or playing it forward when there is a potential attacking chance.

Roy Keane played more passes sidewards or backwards and he is commonly lauded as one of the worlds greatest?

Roy is one of the worlds greatest, he just didnt pass he forward and sideways, he would also get into the box and was our commander on the field

I agree with Royale with Cheese that passing stats mean **** all tbh, you could have all the ball but get no where like barca the other night

Carrick for utd is what you say is a great midfield but do you see him as a great midfield? Obviously not. To judge Cm you should use the guardians chalk board to make sure he isnt just passing sideways or backwards

Headshot wrote: »
    For example

like a DM for example

That's why the forward passes and difference in overall passes are interesting...being available for the ball, control, not losing it etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How so?

100% absolutely fúck all might be going a bit over the top, we'll call it 90% fúck all.

I can make my mind up on who was the better player between Xavi and Wilshere on Wednesday night simply by watching the game. Not everything can be measured in numbers which can then be trotted out at the end of the game.

Barca's gameplan is just to pass the shít out of the ball waiting for an opening, of course their players are going to rack up far more passes than the opposition, the fact is the majority of those passes didn't do anything to progress their attacks.

This isn't just something that bothers me with regards to Wilshere/Xavi, I'm fed up of hearing these stats every time Barca play. They mean nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement