Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Jack Wilshere Appreciation Thread

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If your just passing it sideways and backways for a lot of the game, it is a bit pointless. Got to make forward passes into good areas to hurt teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Maybe I have to re-highlight it...
    19 forward passes and 80 for Xavi..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

dfx- wrote: »
    Maybe I have to re-highlight it...

Meh, Wilshere was better than Xavi imo.

An I'm a United fan, no amount of stats will change my mind on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If barca won, xavi would probably be MOTM imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Headshot wrote: »
    For example

Player X could be passing back or side ways, hardly going forward

like a DM for example

Thats why I was looking for the chalkboard and not just amount of passes or amount of forward passes. Even with the amount of forward passes Xavi made, Wilshere was still MOTM, which shows that yes passing stats can be useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Never seen such overhyping of 1 persons performance.

I was at the game, came home, watched the extended highlights, have downloaded the full match and watched it too.

Wilshere barely touched the ball in the whole first half ! , he was good 2nd half though.

Granted he's young, and a great player, and arsenal did amazingly well. But I think the fact that Arsenal won has sugar coated everyones memory of the match and certain Arsenal players performances.

Eric Abidal was probably the best player on the day, him or Xavi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

SeantheMan wrote: »

I was at the game, came home, watched the extended highlights, have downloaded the full match and watched it too.

Wilshere barely touched the ball in the whole first half ! , he was good 2nd half though.

Granted he's young, and a great player, and arsenal did amazingly well. But I think the fact that Arsenal won has sugar coated everyones memory of the match and certain Arsenal players performances.

The performances is why Arsenal won the game. Remember, a match is 90 minutes.

lol @ the barca fans thinking that post

Arsenal won because they scored 2 goals and Barca scored 1.
    Arsenals 1st goal could be put as a goalkeeper howler, brillant from VP though.
    2nd goal was a great counter attack

However they didn't out perform Barca on the day, far from it, Barca were the better team, and what about Messis disallowed goal ? The man could have had a hattrick easily, but didn't put them away.

Barca performed better with regards to football, technical skill etc.
    Arsenal were better in terms of determination, physicality and spirit.
    They did well to come away with the win, and fair play to them, but they didn't win due to being the better team on the day...and especially not because "wilshere destroyed xavi and iniesta" which is all I seem to be hearing atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

It's not one game for the Arsenal fans it's the whole season, he has been better than Cesc and up alongisde Samir as our outstanding player and for a team challenging on four fronts to be such a key player at a young age deserves credit.

EDIT: As for the Messi disallowed goal it was clearly offside as he is level with the keeper when the shot is orgianlly struck.

• Advertisement

peabutler wrote: »
    EDIT: As for the Messi disallowed goal it was clearly offside as he is level with the keeper when the shot is orgianlly struck.

Ahhh...the old Sugar coated memory again

Would you like to watch that again and still say he was level ?

Yeah embed it properly and i'll watch it again.

You do know that's just three minutes off Pedro in his back swing inline with Messi from an awkward angle where as the linesman is looking right across with nothing in his way, I know who i'd back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

However they didn't out perform Barca on the day, far from it, Barca were the better team, and what about Messis disallowed goal ? The man could have had a hattrick easily, but didn't put them away.

They did well to come away with the win, and fair play to them, but they didn't win due to being the better team on the day...and especially not because "wilshere destroyed xavi and iniesta" which is all I seem to be hearing atm.

It's always the way with the English media, unfortunately our proximity to England means Irish fans are quick to latch on to it. It was the same this time last season when unbelievably, people on here were saying Rooney was as good as Messi and Ronaldo.

I do think Wilshere is a fantastic player though, before anyone starts.

peabutler wrote: »
    Yeah embed it properly and i'll watch it again.

You do know that's just three minutes off Pedro in his back swing inline with Messi from an awkward angle where as the linesman is looking right across with nothing in his way, I know who i'd back.

BUT it WAS onside, yes ?
    I'm not raging about it, I'm just saying factually, it was a fair goal that was disallowed, whereas before you watched it, you were of the opinion it was a clear offside. and he was inline with the keeperHuman error on the linesmans part, which can happen to anyone. Any if you mean awkward camera angle, you can use the pitch markings, which clearly indicate onside

I'm only pointing out with regards to my post above, that because of the nature of the win, and team it was against, the performance on Arsenals part is being blown out of proportion.

BUT it WAS onside, yes ?
    I'm not raging about it, I'm just saying factually, it was a fair goal that was disallowed, whereas before you watched it, you were of the opinion it was a clear offside. and he was inline with the keeperHuman error on the linesmans part, which can happen to anyone. Any if you mean awkward camera angle, you can use the pitch markings, which clearly indicate onside

I'm only pointing out with regards to my post above, that because of the nature of the win, and team it was against, the performance on Arsenals part is being blown out of proportion.

By who? RTE who more or less used the performance to slate Arsenal by comparing it to Newcastle or the Arsenal players who have all come out and said they were happy to win but they knew how hard it would be in the Nou Camp or are you unhappy that the Arsenal fans are deligthed to have won and happy with the performance. This isn't the Wilshere vs Barca appreciation thread it's based on his performances all season, he played well against Barca, as good as any in recent times i've seen yet this whole season he has kept Arsenal ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for the last time, Wilshere did not get a thread because he 'destroyed Xavi and Iniesta'. some people really do come across as quite bitter.

anyone who thinks Wilshere 'destroyed' or 'owned' them needs their heads fúcking checked. i've seen very very few, if any, genuinely claim that.

but he more than held his own, as a 19 year old, against the best midfield in the world.

and in just over half a season he has gone from just coming back from loan with Bolton, to a regular starter, as well as a member of the England squad.

he deserves appreciation as much as anyone this season.

again, certain Barca fans...the match is the catalyst for this thread, but the season he's had is the reason for it.

..........jeez............

VW 1 wrote: »
    Wilshere was still MOTM, which shows that yes passing stats can be useless.
    If barca won, xavi would probably be MOTM imo

MOTM is a very subjective thing...I wouldn't even have had him as best Arsenal player which would have been Koscielny..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Cracking little player. Well done to the scouts who signed him from Luton Town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Are you a Barca fan or something "wilshere destroyed xavi and iniesta" which is all I seem to be hearing atm."

Where are you hearing this everywhere?, all I'm hearing is a young kid put in a great performance against the best team in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

SlickRic wrote: »
    for the last time, Wilshere did not get a thread because he 'destroyed Xavi and Iniesta'. some people really do come across as quite bitter.

anyone who thinks Wilshere 'destroyed' or 'owned' them needs their heads fúcking checked. i've seen very very few, if any, genuinely claim that.

but he more than held his own, as a 19 year old, against the best midfield in the world.

and in just over half a season he has gone from just coming back from loan with Bolton, to a regular starter, as well as a member of the England squad.

he deserves appreciation as much as anyone this season.

again, certain Barca fans...the match is the catalyst for this thread, but the season he's had is the reason for it.

..........jeez............

Thats hard alright.

Sky have been fawning about him all season and people seem to be over-reacting after the Barca game. Yes, he is a very promising player but people are going on as if he's a world-class player already. He isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Never before have I taken such pleasure from the performance of an English player over the course of 90 minutes.

Are you for fcuking real?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

So much hate in this thread.

Jack's been immense this season. With Djourou and Nasri, hes been our best player this season. Its scary how good he could become if he keeps his head down and doesn't believe all the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

For 19 years old he is a rare player. But the danger seems to be his off field activities, i think he has 2 police cautions already. Just hope he can stay clear of bother and progress further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Warper wrote: »
    Thats hard alright.

Sky have been fawning about him all season and people seem to be over-reacting after the Barca game. Yes, he is a very promising player but people are going on as if he's a world-class player already. He isn't.

nope, again, very very few are saying he's world class yet.

he put in an almighty performance the other night, has been excellent all season, and quite obviously has the potential to become world class.

a lot of people are reading what they want to read in order to begrudge the guy his dues for a great season so far, and holding his own, even more than that, against, again, the best in the world.

also, yes, it is difficult for a 19 year old to get into an England squad, in a midfield role especially, when you have the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, et al who have monopolised it for years. you surely can't take his international call-up away from him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

maybe the united and barca fans should sod off to the xavi and scholes threads instead of clogging up this thread with their hate. pure unadulterated jealousy TBH.

id like to see him play a bit further forward. he has goals in him i think but his attacking instincts are being curbed slightly by wenger. hope he continues to improve. hes good now but he will be top top class in a couple of seasons hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

sonic85 wrote: »
    maybe the united and barca fans should sod off to the xavi and scholes threads instead of clogging up this thread with their hate. pure unadulterated jealousy TBH.

id like to see him play a bit further forward. he has goals in him i think but his attacking instincts are being curbed slightly by wenger. hope he continues to improve. hes good now but he will be top top class in a couple of seasons hopefully

A United supporter started the thread. Just sayin' like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I didn't think any United fans were doing anything to ruin the thread. Sure look who started the thread.:pac: Of course we're jealous, but it's a lustful jealousy, not a hateful one. Can't speak for Barca fans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I didn't think any United fans were doing anything to ruin the thread. Sure look who started the thread.:pac: Of course we're jealous, but it's a lustful jealousy, not a hateful one. Can't speak for Barca fans though.

Just rise above it, mate. Don't bite.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Never before have I taken such pleasure from the performance of an English player over the course of 90 minutes. An absolutely imperious performance, he's fast installing himself as one of Arsenal's most important players. Should now be one of the first names on Capello's team sheet too as there really hasn't been a player like him of English blood in God knows how long. Terrific stuff, well done Jack the lad.

Grab a ticket, queue up and wax lyrical about this boy.
    Le King wrote: »
    He should definitely be in Capello's team. Best CM in England atm.

Cracking player.
    He's going to be one of the finest English players of his generation some day.

Amazing he's only 19 and put in that performance tonight, it has to give Arsenal fans goosebumps
    mars bar wrote: »
    Wilshere is the one player (ok, Fabregas too) I envy Arsenal for.
    Except he's consistently backing up the hype.

You could add Welbeck to that list too.;)
    Keno 92 wrote: »
    Saying it for a while now. Some player.

Smegball wrote: »
    Meh, Wilshere was better than Xavi imo.

All the utd posters I know agreeing that he's a very good player

so how are we ruining this thread ?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Wilshere, McEachran, Wickham, Sterling, Carroll, Walcott, Gibbs and Rooney... 'Arry will win the World Cup with that lot!!
    No Rodwell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

davyjose wrote: »
    No Rodwell?

Well you'd imagine there's a few he's left out.

Unless 'Arry plans on playing with 8 players of course...

SlickRic wrote: »
    he put in an almighty performance the other night, has been excellent all season, and quite obviously has the potential to become world class.

He was anonymous for large portions of the game including the first half. Nothing against appreciation of his season but he wasn't anywhere near as the OP puts it, an imperious performance at all in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

All the utd posters I know agreeing that he's a very good player

so how are we ruining this thread ?

Because ye support United, booo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I reckon openroad was drunk because he was praising opposition fans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I reckon openroad was drunk because he was praising opposition fans :D

What, when ,where :p

Meant to post this the other night but will post it here as it is kind of related. Just wanted to thank the vast majority of the non Arsenal fans on the match thread the other night, was definitely one of my favorite match threads in a long time, the fairness from supporters made it a very enjoyable thread to read. The same goes for this thread.

Anyway, as for Jack, he has done very well this season for such a young player, definitely appears to have a lot of confidence and seems quite an intelligent player.

Hopefully he can continue his progress, he has still a lot to learn, but is certainly going about it the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Wilshere, McEachran, Wickham, Sterling, Carroll, Walcott, Gibbs and Rooney... 'Arry will win the World Cup with that lot!!
    Sterling and McEachran haven't done nearly enough to be anywhere near that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

shano_88 wrote: »

See what he did to Xavi at 3.45 confident lad.

Aye, hot prospect for the future of English football.
    Hopefully Wenger can keep that team together, and players like himself aren't poached, but unless they win something that could be case

With regards to 3:45 , all I seen him do was shield Xavi off the ball ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Just rise above it, mate. Don't bite.

rise above what exactly? its not arsenal fans talking sh!te. if people dont recognise wilsheres quality then they shouldnt be reading the thread. the title is quite clear about the content. by the way to the genuine utd and barca fans i apologise if i caused offence - it wasnt intended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Liam O wrote: »
    Sterling and McEachran haven't done nearly enough to be anywhere near that list.

You obviously haven't seen very much them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For 19 years old he is a rare player. But the danger seems to be his off field activities, i think he has 2 police cautions already. Just hope he can stay clear of bother and progress further

The sad thing is that when he's out all he'll get is drunken idiots coming up to him saying ''you're ****'' etc, it takes a very calm person not to react at all. There's only so much people can take, although he is quite temperamental on the field.

Also, I don't think he has any police cautions, I remember he was in the news and they were saying that he had been arrested, but it later turned out that the police just wanted to question him as a witness to an incident that he had seen when he was out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Capello comparing Wilshire to Makelele is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard a football manager say. Wilshire is amazing on the ball, creates chances, great passer, etc; Makelele was famous for winning the ball and giving a simple pass to the more creative players at Real Madrid and Chelsea. I can't imagine a player Wilshire is more different from than Makelele.

If Capello tries to turn Wilshire into a holding midfielder it would be a disaster, and I can imagine the media queuing up "why doesn't Wilshire perform for England like he does for his club, etc".

He is perfect in the Arsenal 4-3-3 system, I remember I loved watching him in the league cup couple of years ago and seeing him make the step so easily is wonderful. Hopefully he can stay clear of injuries and he'll help lead us to trophy after trophy over the next 15 years. Best player against Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Capello comparing Wilshire to Makelele is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard a football manager say. Wilshire is amazing on the ball, creates chances, great passer, etc; Makelele was famous for winning the ball and giving a simple pass to the more creative players at Real Madrid and Chelsea. I can't imagine a player Wilshire is more different from than Makelele.

If Capello tries to turn Wilshire into a holding midfielder it would be a disaster, and I can imagine the media queuing up "why doesn't Wilshire perform for England like he does for his club, etc".

He is perfect in the Arsenal 4-3-3 system, I remember I loved watching him in the league cup couple of years ago and seeing him make the step so easily is wonderful. Hopefully he can stay clear of injuries and he'll help lead us to trophy after trophy over the next 15 years. Best player against Barcelona.

He plays in what is basically a holding role for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wilshere does both really, I guess his offensive skills stand out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

he seems more of a battler than a playmaker..hes a good footballer with a good brain but i don't see him being a xavi or iniesta or a fabregas

Frisbee wrote: »
    Well you'd imagine there's a few he's left out.

Unless 'Arry plans on playing with 8 players of course...

Yeah but half that list were kids with potential, not players with proven ability. Weird to pick a team full of "maybes" without the definitelys. That's all.

Excellent footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

L'prof wrote: »
    Wilshere does both really, I guess his offensive skills stand out more.

Plus Makelele was a ball-playing midfielder before he got shifted into that holding role.

Advertisement