Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motorcheck.ie odometer discrepancy

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi folks,

I just ran a motorcheck.ie check on a car I'm close to buying, and it shows a mileage discrepancy. Basically in July 2010 the mileage was registered as 49,000 miles, and in November 2010 it had dropped to 39,982 miles.

19/11/2010 64,345 Kms (39,982 Mls)Source: INMR
    20/07/2010 78,858 Kms (49,000 Mls)Source: INMR

I'll be talking to the guy tomorrow morning, but I was just wondering what explanation I should be willing to accept. Or should I just forget about it?

It's from a dealer, so I would have thought they would have spotted this. Also, they've had the car since September (this is confirmed by the motorcheck report), so the November reading must have been submitted by the garage there.

I'm not any way knowledgeable about these things so I'd really appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

double check that the july reading of 49,000 miles isint a type and meant to be KM, and then the October reading is actually KM. the figures would add up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

I'll check it for you first thing tomorrow. Highly unlikely that a dealer would clock a car 10,000 miles so I'd be inclined to think it was an error on the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

Cool, thanks for that.

I think it probably is just an error. It'd be a bit audacious on the dealer's part.
    And 49,000 is a very round number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Motorcheck wrote: »
    I'll check it for you first thing tomorrow. Highly unlikely that a dealer would clock a car by 10,000 miles so I'd be inclined to think it was an error on the input.

I'd agree with this. If someone clocked a car they would pick one with higher mileage and 'haircut' it by more than 14.5k. Nothing much to be gained by trimming 14.5 k from 79k. Sounds like an error to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kceire wrote: »
    double check that the july reading of 49,000 miles isint a type and meant to be KM, and then the October reading is actually KM. the figures would add up then.
    +1. What does the service history have to say on the matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Hi Spanx,

We checked the offending reading on the car today. Both readings were from the same source which leads me to believe that the first was an error. Maybe you could ask the garage about it?

Advertisement